General Anesthesia This Monday

Hey everyone! Another question for you (and I want to say thatnks ahead of time because I learn sooo much from you)

I am having a hydrodistension done this Monday. I know already to ask for extra fluids. What else do I need to tell them about my condition? What is the worst that can happen? Passing out (I never have yet)? Is it a risk that my pulse will be out of control while I'm out? Is the worst of my risk after I wake up? I'm just not even sure what could happen. (The last time I had this done I didn't have POTS, and I was very weak and nauseated then..so not sure what to expect now).

I had an Endoscopy procedure done and I did fine. Kinda dizzy afterwards, but not too bad. But I'm more concerned this time because it's general anethesia.

Any advice for my procedure will be greatly appreciated.

I have had general anesthia several times when I was in my twenties I did fine. I had a bad reaction after my hysterectomy, but that may have been from the demoral I could self medicate with, it was right when I came too and I started puking then they gave me a shot or something in the iv that stopped that. Then after my sinus surgery I was perfectly fine, I was so nervous because of the other time. I mustv'e been a little"high" cause I kept babbling about how great I felt even though my face hurt really bad. Well just a horrible uncomfortable place to have surgery. I think it depends on the kind of anesthia used, the guy who did my nose thing said its different stuff they may use depending on the procedure. Just make sure you have a loved one near, to help voice your concerns, after the procedure. My husband had to leave with my poor little girl after the hysterectomy ( I thought I would be ok) so she wouldn't see me puking. But it passed really quick. And that was Major surgery, actually made my pots worse and the recovery period was not 6 weeks! It was more like a year! I could barely fold laundry or walk for a month. I had a c section when I was in my 20's and bounced back like a rubber ball. After this one when in 40's I felt like I had been flattened by a mack truck. I literally couldn't move in the bed for 24 hours. But they make you try to sit up, etc, then I took a shower by myself the next day almost passed out! Ok I am just rambling now but I think you'll be just fine. The worry is worse than the actual procedure, for me anyway.

Thanks Laila for replying. I'm sure your right. I probably am thinking it will be worse than it really will be. I'm just hoping I don't get some major POTsy crash because I still have to work. I'm only taking off the day of, and the day after. I would have been fine with that before, I just hope I'll be fine now. So, I don't have to worry about what is happening with my hr and bp while I'm out? Thanks.

Guest sonotech

I actually had 3 different major surgeries in 2004 along with a colonoscopy and endoscopy and didn't have any special pre-op OR post-op care (just the same that everyone else gets) and did fine. So, hopefully you shouldn't have much to worry about!

Good Luck

Laura

Guest tearose

You and your support (friends and family) must be pro-active!! Your doctor may say "yes, we will start IV and monitor you" but who will be there and advocate for you if that doctor steps away? Be really clear on what the special accommodations are and be sure the recovery room and in-room staff understand POTS too.

Preparation is the KEY and I think you will do just fine!

Speedy recovery! B)

tearose

Ask your doctor about Propofol. I've had everything from endoscopies to cancer surgery and Propofol is the only anesthesia that left me with no after effects. It's extremely short-acting and is also something to consider if you're already taking benzodiazepine class meds (Xanax, Ativan) or other muscle relaxers. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Dan

Regarding the blood presssure and heart rate, that is what the anesthesiologists job is, so he better do it right! Or else! They stare at the moniters and they will adjust stuff if needed. I looked up your procedure. You usually talk to the anesthesiologist too so maybe you can voice your concerns then. Good luck and let us know how it went.

just wanted to wish you well tomorrow....

as others have said just make certain to voice your needs/concerns in advance, i.e. extra fluids, HR/BP variability, etc. honestly you'll be better monitored during the procedure than any other time ever.

i've had general anesthesia twice & sedation more times than i can count and have never had a problem during the procedure. generally it just takes me a bit longer than the "norm" to wake up afterward. i did have difficulties after my GB removal but it was more an issue with pain med reactions than the anesthesia itself.

when you're up to it let us know how it goes. you'll be in my thoughts...

:unsure: melissa

Thanks alot everyone for your help. I feel a little less worried now. I will definetly talk to the anesthesiologist about my condition. I guess that's all I can do is just let them know.

I'm starting to have some concern about my bp alot today. My Cardio just increased my Verapamil to 80mg BID, and today my bp was 76/62. I tryed to call the doctor on call to ask advice about my procedure and how I should take my pills, but he didn't call me back! I hate to think of how my bp would have reacted if I wasn't taking Florinef. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for the advice and support. :unsure: I'm scheduled to be there at 7am, so, I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

Jen,

Goodluck tomorrow! :unsure:

Goodluck!!

Make sure you have someone with you at all times untill you know that you will be ok on your own.

I hope this is possable for you, because it wasn't for me and I had a tough time. If I had had someone with me, my stay in the hospital would have been much better.

Get well soon ;)

Amber

Well, I'm home. I'm still very sick from the anesthesia at the point. I became very nauseated while in the hospital, which was a problem because everyone thought with the kind of meds I recieved that I shouldn't have nausea. So, my Uro didn't order anything for me. They were going to call him but my husband had to be at school at 230 and we were already behind. So, I just asked them to call something for me into my pharmacy. I got home and threw up. I'm still nauseated and can barely walk. My husband is leaving scchool around this time so when he gets home he'll pick up my meds. I can't really seem to stand up without feeling very dizzy and nauseated. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'm barely even talking in fluids right now because they make me sick. I think my pulse did pretty well. Thanks everyone for the support.

Well, I'm glad you got through the procedure but sorry you are having such trouble with nausea!!

Please get the nausea med in you as soon as you can and try to get fluids in. Sipping on popsicles, chicken broth or gatorade may be your better bets on keeping things down. Just go slow and don't be afraid to call your Dr or go into ER for IV fluids if you don't start feeling better or if the meds don't keep you from throwing up.

Hope you feel better very soon!!