Potsy Housecleaning Tips

• I get clorox wipes and bare feet and scoot around the bathroom every day or two (usually while I am waiting for my shower water to warm up in the evening). Kind of like skating. Then I dont have to actually mop, which is harder on me, very often.
    • Clean the shower while I am in it.

Anyone else??

I try to do a "little Job" every day to stop it from building up. You know how you can't face having to vacum a whole house ? I just do one room a day. Ironing is the killer !

I sit on a stool to do the dishes. I also clean the shower while I'm in it. Another thing I do is fold my laundry on the floor.

Mostly we have it worked out where my Boyfriend does all the "standing" chores like vaccuuming and unloading the dishwasher, and I do all the "sitting" chores, like cleaning the sinks, doing dishes and counters, and folding laundry.

I also try to straighten up when I'm already standing...for instance, if I have to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen to get something, I'll pick up trash on my way and throw it away in the kitchen trashcan. By consolidating my "stands" I can save a lot of energy ;)

Good topic! I'm looking forward to finding out how others clean :)

- lauren

My life must be really boring b/c I was excited to see this topic come up. :-P

I agree with what others have already said: I wipe down the shower while I'm in it. I consolidate chores like putting things away while I am already making a trip from one room to another. I also fold laundry while sitting down with my feet up. I also do a few things at a time so I don't have a full "day" of cleaning. That would be too overwhelming. Whenever I have a few minutes of energy I will do some dusting. Then a few hours later if I have extra energy I will vacuum a rug. Then the next day I might unload the dishwasher. Then 2 days later I might fold laundry. I spread things out so the tasks stay small.

We actually just renovated our entire kitchen and I designed it with my NMH in mind. ;-) You guys will love this: I designed it so that our peninsula bartop creates an L-shaped countertop for the kitchen. Okay, so instead of having the stools on the outside of the kitchen counter facing IN, I put them on the inside of the kitchen facing into the living room. People thought my design idea was weird, but once it was built everyone LOVES it b/c it's great to sit IN the kitchen and socialize with people in the living room. And for ME of course it gives easy access to the stools so I can sit at the counter while I chop veggies and prep foods. I also designed the kitchen so my stovetop is right next to the pensinula so I can sit at the bartop and chop up my veggies and then (without moving an inch) I can look to my right and stir whatever is in the pots on the stove while I'm still sitting. It's the best set-up ever. :D

I'm sure there are more 'tricks' I have... I'll keep thinking... looking forward to seeing other posts, too!

The Clorox ready mop is easy and saves lugging a bucket of water around. I try to do the heavier chores (mopping and vacuuming) in the afternoon and not right after a meal.

The most helpful thing I've done is get a Swifer Duster! I used to use spray and a rag. Now I just keep the Swifer duster near by and can dust an area quickly with very little work.

I also have three kids and they help with the cleaning. Luckily, we started this before I was too sick to do much so it's clear that they would have to do it anyway. Two share the job of cleaning the kitchen and one cleans the bathroom. We share the other jobs and if I don't ask too often, they're happy to help with bigger jobs.

~Roselover

My main cleaning trick is to ask hubby to pitch in!

My next cleaning trick is to have a cleaning lady (actually it's two guys) come to my house twice a month. They keep on top of the deep cleaning for me. I know it's a luxury, but I've managed to cut expenses in other areas so we can afford this! :)

I can't tolerate any synthetic cleaning chemicals like clorox or swiffers or lysol, so I make my own natural cleaners or purchase natural ones online. They do just as good a job and don't leave any toxic residue. I have a natural cleaning guide book that has all kinds of wonderful tips in it. But I don't have it right next to my computer now, so I'll post some later.

For vacuuming and mopping (which my hubby is not very good at) I certainly don't try to do the whole house in one day. I may just do one room. The last time I tried to vacuum and mop the whole house was last summer, and I had to call an ambulance b/c my heart went into a crazy arrhythmia! :D

I agree with Dizzy Dame, if I'm leaving one room, I survey it and take whatever doesn't belong there into the other room that I'm going to and put it away in it's proper place.

When I'm straightening up I get a bunch of boxes/bags and start at one place, like the desk, and take everything that doesn't belong on the desk and put it in the boxes based on where it belongs, and then I go to where it needs to be and put stuff away. This way I can sit down at each separate station and to everything I need to do before moving on. I barely have to stand up or move around at all! It also divides everything in really manageable bits of cleaning, instead of like a giant cleaning spree.

I also have a kitchen stool with a back that I use for cleaning and cooking in the kitchen.

Hope this helps!

Gena,

I have a terrible sensitivity to amonia as well (ie bleach). I faint if exposed to too much of it. I get my cleaning supplies at Target, they have a line called "Method" that says it contains no harsh chemicals. I haven't had any problems with any of their products, so I think they're telling the truth.

Sooooo, for any of you who have chemical sensitivities, you might want to check out that line.

I don't clean as much as I should...but it usually doesn't get done unless I do it.

I'm still learning what is too much for me to do...I'm still over doing it quite a bit. The good thing though is I'm only down for that day and not the next day too....I can feel it the next day but it's not bad.

I've sat down on the floor with babywipes to wipe up spills or whatever the kids or animals left behind...I usually only mop once a week, but it all depends on how I feel and how much it needs it.

When I mop, it takes a lot out of me....vacuuming does too but not as much as mopping. I wonder why that is?

Dishes are not bad if I keep up on them.....and paper plates are a big help.

I have a hard time giving my kids a bath...bending over really makes me dizzy. I have sat on a stool so I didn't have to bend over. Plus I try and give my kids a bath at the same time, it seems to help.

I sit down to fold laundry too, and try to do one or two loads a day instead of 5-6 all at once.

This was a good post, thanks.

Amber

First, I am a terrible housekeeper. BUT, one thing that does help is to purchase "convenience" cleaning products such as Swifter Wet Jet for mopping and the scrubbing bubbles flushable toilet scrubber (LOVE THIS!), I try to do one "chore' a day but my house is still a mess. My husband is helping out more- thankfully. But, like someone once said, "cleaning up while your kids are young is like shoveling in a snow storm!" Agreed!

Carmen

I am looking forward to this post and learning new creative ways to clean.

I have a tall stool for various tasks around the house such as: cooking at the stove, Ironing, and chopping/prep for dinner.

My husband does the vacuuming, dusting and rigorous work. I do more of the maintenance work like "picking up" around the house and organization.

I even planted some flowers in a pot today sitting in a chair on our patio! B)

I wish I had some more tips....I just hope to learn more from you all!!

Lisa

My husband is the domestic servant lol. He does the weekly vacuming and mopping but we have, er, different levels of cleaning style...

The bending, stooping etc part of cleaning kitchens and bathrooms (particularly bathrooms) is the hardest for me.

I tend to clean with the light dim or off. It means I dont do very good but if it is light then I really try and force my eyes to focus and see what I am cleaning and then boy do I get sick. Something about forcing myself to focus my eyes always does me in...

I too have a stool in the kitchen so I can sit when I cook or between things when I am cleaning up a bit.

I like the Orange clensor...it does not bother me.

I tend to put things in piles as time goes on and then when I leave one room for another I can just grab the pile and go.

I co-shower w/ my child where there is a seat for me to sit on. I sit to dry her hair in the hallway.