Uh-oh

Hey everybody! Sorry I have not been here for awhile....hope you are all doing better now that spring is coming. I am always worse in the winter and summer but spring and fall I tend to agree with B)

Well I recieved some bad news...they discovered stage 1 cervical cancer so I have to get it removed (which is good news since they caught it early) but also I have to have a laproscopy done. They are going to have to put me OUT completly which makes me nervous 'cause I am scheduled as an outpatient and I just don't think my body will react well to being put out and surgery an all that....I mean I can hardly handle any sort of medication as of now because I have HORRID side effects. I have to take baby meds when I have a cold cause the grown up stuff makes me so sick.

SO my question is have any of you had a surgery where they put you under?? How did you react?

Thanks everyone!!

Love ya

Ash

Hi there,

During my last ablation the docs ended up keeping me completely under....When I woke up my BP was very low and I felt very out of it for a few days. That's all I remember from that.

Glad it was found early and I wish you the best of luck during your surgery...

Jacquie

Big hugs, my love-what a shock, you're so young to have something like that! I had a laperoscopy done in Scotland in 2003 when I had a cyst on my ovary that ruptured. I was very woozy, especially with the morphine they gave me for the pain- it sent my blood pressure crashing so be prepared for a bit of dizziness. I would tell them beforehand about the POTS, see if they can suggest anything. At least get them to take notice. I wasn't able to do that then as I wans't diagnosed.

I think extra fluid is meant to help; the first time I ever went under a general anaesthetic when I was ten years old, I was healthy then (was only having a tooth out), my blood pressure dropped so low I almost died on the table! Very strange- now I've mentioned it it makes me wonder if Ialways had a predisposition towards POTS and it got properly activated when I begna menstruating at 12, and then again when I hit that flue bug at 23.

Keep us posted; thinking of you.

When I was put under for the same thing I woke up and felt really bad.

The pain wasn't too bad, but I had dizziness and nausea.

I made it home ok and slept everything off.

Good luck, you might want to mention to your doctor if you are likely to get nausea.

They usually can give you something to prevent it.

If only I knew that when I had mine done. B)

Amber

I give you hugs as you prepare for the surgery. Here is some advice: Make sure the anesthesiologist knows in advance of your situation. Have your POTS-treating doctor get in touch with both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist in advance of the surgery. If possible, have your surgery done in a hospital setting--not an outpatient free standing surgicenter. Insist on plenty of hydration.

During the past few years, I have had a lumpectomy, gall bladder surgery, pacemaker extractions and replacements. I have done fine. I know that the extra hydration and my internist's coordination with the surgeons helped make the process easier on me.

Good luck!

Lois

I just wanted to say hi and that we're here for you. I'm so sorry to hear about this news!

Take care and keep us posted,

Lisa

Guest Mary from OH

Ash,

Sorry to hear about your dx, but so glad to hear they caught things early!! I'm praying for a successful outcome!! I'd echo what everyone said about plenty of hydration. I've had lots of surgeries and seem to do fine. Let your drs know and I think that they will be able to control the situation. Have you had surguries before? I know that you said that you're sensitive to meds... Have you ever been anesthetized?

Ash, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which went well because I told my docs repeatedly that I have low blood pressure. My PCP advised me to take a double dose of florinef beforehand, to raise my BP, which I did. I told the OR nurses that I faint easily, and sure enough, when they started the IV, I could feel my blood pressure drop. They were very responsive, elevated my feet, gave me oxygen and got me back to normal before the surgery. When the surgeon arrived, she condescendingly asked, " Are we nervous this morning?" (she assumed I faint because of fear). Don't pay attention to those kind of comments, most people don't understand POTS. I had no trouble with the anesthesia ( I also told the anesthesiologist that I went into shock on the operating table years ago). As far as recovery, I was on a morphine drip, which is controlled by the patient, so I had complete control of how much pain medication I received. I'm convinced it went so well because I INFORMED everyone who worked on me that I have a problem with fainting. Good luck ;)

Ash,

Sorry to hear about your dx, but so glad to hear they caught things early!! I'm praying for a successful outcome!! I'd echo what everyone said about plenty of hydration. I've had lots of surgeries and seem to do fine. Let your drs know and I think that they will be able to control the situation. Have you had surguries before? I know that you said that you're sensitive to meds... Have you ever been anesthetized?

No I have never been anesthetized before ;) But whenever I am in the hospital like when I had my tilt, other test ran, etc and they put me in a IV drip my BP DROPS!! I am having my surgery done at the hospital on the 25th (week before my finals) they told me I will be outpatient which completly shocked me. The doctor that treated me for pots (Dr. Fouad at Cleveland) has no idea I am having surgery don't know if she would be a help anyways (kinda hard to get a hold of). Its been weird cause my BP has been actually high these last few weeks ever since I got this diagnosis.

Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

lots of love

Ash

xxoxxxoo

Im glad they caught it early. I had cervical cancer when I was 19. Wasnt poty then tho. But Im going through the same thing. My tonils have to come out and it makes me nervous too, but its getting to the point that the chronic infecti0ons make me sick and antibiotics dont work anymore.

So cancer is way wose than feeling like total crap for a month. Like with me the benefits outweigh the risks.

Just talk to the anesthesiologist...... very important, they are the ones who save your *** in the OR, not the surgeon. And if your anesthsiologist doesnt listen or your dont like him/her ask for another. You have every right too. During the anesthesia interview bring a copy of the POTS info to give him/her and tell them what meds your on and WHY.

Youll do fine!

Good Luck

Janine

Talk about something to take your mind off of POTS!

Anyway, I would tell your doctor that you need to speak with the anesthesiologist PERSONALLY about your dysautonomia (and I would use that word, instead of "pots" with the anesthesiologist. They seem to understand that better). You want to be sure that he understands that you can over-respond to medications, and that your heart and BP can go NUTS. You also want his/her reassurance that he/she will NOT leave your side, even for a moment. If they can't do that, you need a different anesthesiologist.

Hang in, girl, it will all come out OK (stage one -- a no brainer for docs).

There should be a law that if we have one condition (pots), we can't be ALLOWED to develope anything else!! Just doesn't seem right, does it?

Please let us know how you're doing...

Guest Belinda

Speak with the anesthioligist before hand does a world a difference...I had an D=C done just recently and I was only under general but VERY mild..wish I could remember what they gave me but I had no problems..they also gave me some extra fluid over a few hours before and after though..that is something to consider..GHood Luck..Belinda