Not Doing So Well--major Sleep Problems

about 2 weeks ago I got the gi bug that's been running through my work and friends... I started to feel better a week ago, for about a day, but then the next day I woke up with swollen glands and a sore throat. Well, that progressed to double ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis with the accompanying painful, noisy, gurgly cough. So per doctor's orders: I place number rx's in my mouth, add water, shake 'em up in my belly and add my daily standards too... repeat with a tremendous number of all different colored pills, capsules and tablets through the day.

Here's where I think things have gone awry. In addition to taking an antibiotic (ketek), I'm also on a medrol pack (steroids) to help my sinus and ear inflamation reduce enough that stuff can drain. Combine that with the albuterol nebulizer treatments and I'm a mess. My balance is off, my hands are shaking most of the day, my eyes can't stay too focused on anything for more than a few seconds. I suppose this is what ADD must be like, or maybe what it must be a bipolar manic episode?... my brain wont stop talking to me. And despite exhaustion, pain med, sleep meds and a nice cozy, quiet, inviting bedroom, I can't sleep!!! I'm so frustrated, I'd almost want to do a cartoon move and crack myself on the head with a nice sized mallet so that I could be unconscious for a while... I know, I know...I can't live in TV land...

Here's what happens when I get in bed...I'm there for 30 to 60 minutes and just as I think I'm quieting down, suddlenly my brain takes hold of some wacky little nonsequiter that was just passing through my head, and it's off on a tangent having an inner chatter that I'm not able to get to shut UP. After 2 hours of trying, I gave up tonight and got out of bed and back to the family room until feel some sign of drowsiness.

Tried just tonight and not in any particular order:

ambien, benedryl, norflex, guided relaxation/meditation. Plenty of fluids to try to get the steroids OUT of me. Put on my favorite body lotion which I associate with falling asleep with.

Peeps, do you have any words or wisdom, tricks to help me get to sleep. The only thing I haven't done is add a glass of wine, which I would never do for fear of just never waking up again. Do steroids do this to any of you? It's infuriating b/c my body is utterly wasted. This is my 3rd sleepless night. I got maybe 3 or 4 hours? HELP!

Nina

Did you try some music? That helps me....

I hate those nights when sleep is so elusive. Sometimes I read literally all night - then my eyes hurt and I have a killer headache. Best of luck Nina!

Nina,

Do you have any lavendar lotion, from what I have heard it's supposed to sooth and relax. Also, I almost always fall asleep with the TV on...If I think of any other ideas, I'll post them. I have a hard time getting to sleep at night, no prob during the day :rolleyes: ...

Jacquie

Lavender oil...I have...and I used that and a vanilla spiced shea butter. For some reason, I've never been able to sleep with the music or tv. I'm considering calling out sick for tomorrow b/c I know I won't be sleeping any time soon...and I have to be AT WORK in 8 hours. Hmmm.

Yep. Decision made. On my way to log into the human resources page and plug in my sick day for Monday... looks to be a long night, but at least now I've left the opportunity to take it easy tomorrow and keep working on getting better.

Nina

Okay I have thought of a few more ideas...

1. Doing some light exercises...I know your not feeling good right now though :rolleyes:

2. Make sure your thermostat is set cooler than you have it during the day...

3. I know the street light across the street keeps me up alot since it shines in, if you have a similar prob try draping a thick sheet, etc. over the window.

4. Try a warm bath or shower

Hope something here helps, I know I won't be asleep for atleast 3 more hours!

Jacquie

i have this same exact problem, mind racing, but its all day for me, and it definately affects my sleep, i am always writing, maybe you could try writing your thoughts down, then they might leave your mind, and i have a great CD i listen to, it really does help to fall asleep, its by steven halpern, sleep soundly, i know this is a big pain for me, the constant thinking, i wish i had a solution, but i have just learned to accept it and live with it, since i cannot stop the racing mind.

radha

Right now, I've decided to hang out in our basement--it's finished, and soundproof. Also, there are no windows anywhere near the couch...and i have the tv on nice and low, just for nightlight effect. It's very cool down here, which I know helps with falling asleep. I also have my favorite pillow and blanket.

Rahda, wow do I ever feel for you. I don't think I could live with the racing thougths during the day and unrelenting. This for me will last only as long as these steroids are in me. I'm thinking I just have to ride this out--I am thankful, though, that I can have the day off from work tomorrow for my body to settle down.

Nina

Hey Nina,

Just wanted to let you know that steroids do the same thing to me. I was on a course of steroids when I had mono and my throat was almost swollen shut. I couldn't sleep a wink...mind was constantly racing...nothing worked until they were finally out of my system. I'm sending my vibes of empathy your way :rolleyes:

Kristen

Medrol is a powerful drug. This link explains a lot http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR202018

Excitement, trouble sleeping and blurred vision are all considered rare side effects. It causes a person to retain fluid and salt. There are tons of precautions about this drug, note especially who you should stay away from when taking this drug (people with certain illnesses or recent immunizations), and it says that it may take a year for the body to adjust to being off of it (don't know how long of treatment this is referring to.)

Sorry it's a requirement for you now and it's making you so restless. Restless exhaustion is just the worst! Since this drug is a known digestive irritant (which interferes with sleep), whatever you know helps with that could help put you to sleep.

A warm bath helps when nothing else will, it's going from the warmth to the coolness that tricks the body. A relaxing back rub afterwards is very effective. You're doing lots of good things, taking care of yourself well, Nina. Keep it up!

I got about five and a half hours of sleep. I suppose that's better than the 4 I've gotten the 2 nights prior :rolleyes: I stopped the steroids last night because just can't function on the stuff. I've been on medrol before and had a more mild reaction like this--just felt like I was on too much coffee. This time it's way worse; trouble focusing my eyes, hands and arms shaking (Michelle already knows b/c I did some *really* funny typos with my shaky hands yesterday :P thanks for forgiving me), and I'm so restless. I couldn't stay still yesterday!

So, I overdid it with physical activity--giving myself a double whammy of muscle & joint pain, exhaustion, but an inability to slow my brain down enough to give my body a break. I'm soooo tired. And cranky. Only good thing is how productive I've been in the past 3 days! (at the expense of my health though...so not worth it!)

Ugh. I have a gurgly nasty cough that keeps going for a few minutes at a time. I was coughing so hard I'm on the verge of vomitting.

Sorry, just venting. Sleeplessness doesn't go well with me. Nina

Poor Nina--so sorry :rolleyes:

I have bouts of insomnia lasting for days and days--not usually coupled with illness--I do know how terribly frustrating and exhausting it is.

I think you are more of an expert than I am on this topic. One thing that has helped me is taking a short shower and alternating warm and cool water, and ending with cool water. It sounds like it should wake you up, but it gets me sleepy. Also, a little warm milk, perhaps mixed with chamomile tea--if these are things you can eat--help me a bit. Sometimes NOTHING works, I know. Hope you will be back on track again soon.

Katherine

:) Thanks friends. I'm still really restless...but my house is now REALLY clean :rolleyes: and organized too. I made bags of stuff for a yard sale, a bag to sell on eBay, and threw out a few trash bags of junk. I shredded a few large trash bags worth of old bills. Did all the laundry. Cleaned out all bathroom cabinets & linen closet. Did all the dishes. Scrubbed bathroom floors/shower/bath (coughing the whole time). Dusted house. Packed & mailed DINET bracelets. Uploaded new webpage w/ how-to guide to make your own custom medical bracelets. Did some online shopping to find insulin for my cat (lente is getting impossible to locate--but found some in Wisconsin, so I ordered 3 vials--also found it in Canada, but WI was cheaper). Took care of some email replies for my job. Wrote up detailed notes for our new house sitter (I'm supposed to go on vacation starting Friday). Sent Michelle and Melissa no fewer than 10 messages on every topic under the sun (sorry ladies :( ).

I swear this must be what it's like to have a manic episode. I'm looking for my "off" switch right now :P before I *really* hurt myself.

I'm going to try to get my body back into the right sleep pattern tonight; I'll do the warm shower/bath thing then and see if I can get to sleep at a normal hour.

nina,

you seem to be the type-A nutcase on board now! hahahaha. :rolleyes: sorry, it was soooo there.

no matter what we do, every night is like that for me....so i feel your pain. i do get a few hours (about 5) and then wake up with shakes, upsset stomach, and on and on. it is a joy.

i hope once you are done with the steroids you can sleep...

oh, and i want a soundproof room! that sounds grand! :P

love, em

Hey Nina, you want to come by my place and clean while you're at it? :rolleyes: Hey...I figured it was worth a try...

Yeah, how did you spell my name last night...? Michelle SoWacky or something like that? LOL! :P

Rest up, girl. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Michelle

Yep Michelle, it was Sowacki... :rolleyes: oy vey!!! And, I'll be a type-A nutcase all my life... have been this way since I popped out of my mom. My first words were something like "me do it myself!"

We had our basement done by Owens-Corning because the stuff they use doesn't support mold or mildew growth, even if it gets saturated with water. The material also happens to be sound proof--and great insulation. Our heating/cooling bills dropped by about 30% once the basement was done last Summer. It's my own little heaven down there--quiet, allergy free, and nice and cool. :P

nina

Hi Nina,

I hope you slept better last night.

If it feels like too much coffee, one of the things caffeine does is block the reuptake of epi or norepi via an enzyme system, causing their effect to linger longer. One of the things l-theanine is supposed to do is block the effect that coffee has on that enzyme system.

I love my coffee in the AM, but if I try to meditate after my cup and feel like oops, this is too much of a caffeine effect for today, l-theanine calms me right down. I use it now to help me sleep on those jerk-awake nights. It is a great substance for your "in case of whatever" kit.

You are getting sleepy....

You are getting very sleepy....

Your eyes are getting heavy....

OLL