Floor Exercises

My spring resolution is to do a minimum of 10 minutes of floor exercises a day--first thing in the AM. I know I feel best, POTS-wise, when my lower body and core are in better shape than they are now!

Any recommendations for an appropriate tape/DVD?

I checked out a Pilates DVD from the library--Denise Austin, "Hit the Spot". I like it b/c it has 10-minute segments on it--at three different levels--with focus on the "core". I am thinking about buying it, but thought I'd check in with all of you for your suggestions.

Thanks!

Katherine

I have a Denise Austin pilates DVD.

Just a suggestion. Do not expect that you can do an entire workout, especially at the beginning. After years of doing this, and six months of the DVD tape, I still take 5 minutes in the middle (at a part I do not like) and just lay there and rest. This is true of any DVD you use. Pick and choose which portions you will follow.

Also, make the exercises suit you and your needs. Do an exercise near the floor (instead of standing up) if necessary. Or change it so that you are near the floor.

I'm glad you're going to do this. I'm rooting for you!

Katherine,

I love my pilates DVD, which is called Pilates Complete for Everyone. It has 4 or 5 different levels of exercise, from beginning to advanced. There are also instructions and several workouts of different lengths for each level. It is great because it allows you to gradually increase both the length and difficulty of your workout.

I've also recently become a huge fan of stretching after taking a class at the gym. It is supposed to improve your strength and circulation. I almost feel like I am not exercising or exerting myself, and I feel great after doing it. I haven't heard stretching mentioned much here, but I think it's ideal for POTS, because most of the exercises are on the floor. It is really great for those off days when I can't handle something more strenuous. Here is the DVD I use:

Good luck,

Rita

I know I have written this a trillion times but I have to once more: I LOVE my total Gym...or the Pilates performer...

I have had so many pieces of excersise equipment in my house over the years and this hands down is the best..I use it almost every day.....

You can go at your own pace, you can lay at an incline for many of the excersises which is SO great for many people here......

It has gotten me in the best shape I have ever been in...

I used to do free weights but all the standing and bending caused me to not be able to get as good of a workout in.

Good luck and I hope that you find what is right for you! :)

Hey, I also try to do a pilates video...I agree with what one of the other posters said earlier and take your time. Don't expect to be able to complete a half hour video..LOL, that's what I figured out on my own. I haven't been feeling good enough lately to do it, but I hope to get back to doing it. Good luck! :)

Jacquie

I have just started doing a Pilates tape and find that 15 minutes is enough! I also do some hand weights lying down. Another idea is to buy a Fitball, one of those great big balls you sit on. I lie down and lift it up with my legs and sit on it also. It is a great workout. I also use leg weights to do leg raises. As a chronic overdoer, I make myself now go slowly and gently. It is hard, but I am sure it will be worth it. Good luck :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really appreciate it. :ph34r:

So far I have managed at least 10 minutes a day each AM this week--and I can feel it! I tried 20 minutes this morning which was really hard, but I got through it. I was definitely POTS-y afterwards though, and do realize I need to take this slowly, even though I already regularly walk (with my child and dog) and climb flights of stairs multiple times daily at work.

Any other suggestions are welcome too!

Katherine

I also have Denise Austin Pilates DVD's.

You said you were going to try 10 minutes or more every day. Just make sure you allow yourself to take days off. Don't try to do the pilates workouts if you're already feeling really bad.

So, like others said... take it at a slow pace, and only do what exercises you're comfortable with.

Before I found the pilates mat workouts, I had tried yoga and tai chi videos. Unfortunately I didn't realize that most of those exercises are done while standing straight up and moving very slowly. Obviously that did not work out well, I was fainting right away... so I found videos that are only mat workouts and I stay horizontal. :D