I Got My Degree!!!

I am so proud of myself, lol! I am officially finished with my Associate's Degree in General Studies, after four long years. Now I can't decide what I want to do...I know that I want to get my Bachelor's degree, but I don't know where I want to go. I am most interested in a Criminal Justice degree, but having POTS might deter me from doing what I'd really like to do with that- but on the plus side, there are several colleges that offer an online degree which would be a lot easier for me.

I also love Photography, but that isn't something I can study online, and there aren't any schools in the area that offer it as a major. BUT I think it would allow me the most flexibility in my future career, plus the potential to wrork from home. And it's something I have always loved and would be happy doing. I am so torn, but I need to get a move on so I can get some applications in to schools.

So I've got a lot to decide...was hoping some of you all could help with advice, I really don't know much about applying to colleges since I've been going to community college since high school. Anyway I'm just glad to have a degree after these last 2 years and the battle with POTS and motherhood :D

WOW!!!! You really should be proud of yourself. Explore your options. Can you try freelance photography? Also, about going a little further and pursuing a paralegal degree. I understand that is a growing field and that there are opportunities for part-time work.

You are so bright! Feel good! :D:D

That is so wonderful!!!! I did the same thing. I got my Associate's at a community college and then went on and got my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice. You keep trying to get all the education you can. It's something that you will never regret. You have all kinds of oppurtunities ahead of you. Good Luck! Deb

Good for you Jess!!! :D Doesn't it feel pretty great to finish something so major?! :D

My spouse takes bachelor's credits via Univeristy of Pheonix Online. Each term is 5 weeks long with one week off between each term. The coursework is pretty rigourous, but what balances that out, in my opinion, is how well organized the system is. You're automatically enrolled in the courses you need, in the correct sequence...and many times, you don't have to order your books, they're automatically shipped to you. Some classes use PDF books that you have to print out. You might want to take a peek at what they have to offer as far as your "next steps" are concerned. Something might strike your fancy :)

Nina

Congratulations Jessica!

I read about accomplishments like this on these forums and I just don't know where you find the strength and determination to achieve these things.

I do think that photography is a great field to be in. Before I got into interactive media, I was a professional photographer for years. I worked as a sports photographer for the Miami Dolphins, The University of Miami Hurricanes, the Texas Rangers, and the unlimited hydroplane boat racing series. I also covered the Miami riots over 20 years ago and had one photograph of a lighthouse on Key Biscayne published in the National Geographic magazine. I preferred the sports work!

I worked from home then, even though I was in my late teens and very healthy. it might be a great choice for you. I still have all my original Nikon camera gear, though I no longer use darkroom equipment. I have everything put on hi-res Photo-CD.

Sorry to get off on a long photography ramble, but it is a great profession and fantastic hobby. Again, congrats on your degree! Best,

Dan

Jessica,

Congratulations!!!What an accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself. I have a suggestion-just a suggestion. Maybe you could do both. Maybe you could pursue your criminal justice and photography together. I will tell you this, if photography is your true love-go for it!! You are right, it would be more flexible and less demanding. And what's better than making money doing what you love to do?

I know saying do both sound overwhelming and it probably is-maybe that is a bad suggestion but it is a thought. Take your time with whatever you decide to do. I know it took me a total of 6 yrs (on and off) to get my associate degree in nursing and I am going back in august to get my BSN(If POTS will let me) but I will be taking it slowwwwwly!! I haven't been in school in 8 yrs! The funny thing is my oldest son will be starting college at the same time!! Oh well, it's never too late. Good luck and keep us posted!

Let us know what you decide to do.

Danelle

Guest Julia59

Congratulations Jessicca! You should be proud indeed! Taking care of a child, working part time, and going to school is a huge accomplishment. Although you lost your job recently---I think new exciting avenue's will be opening up for you in the future.

It has been my long passion to get into artistic photography. Some day......

You keep going and going------------I see great things for you in the future.

Julie :D

Congratulations, Jessica! I am so proud of you! I'm with Dan. I, too, have been a pro photographer. I still do a little free lance work. I'm popular with the kids at our church because I am a viable - and much more affordable - alternative to the services the school offers for Senior pictures. This is a good way to start out and will give you some exposure. (and extra money!) Best of luck to you!

Congrats!!! Go You! I took an online class and I actually found it more difficult to focus on and the constant computer screen made me feel lousy. I also like human interaction when I go to school. Remember, there is no hurry to finish. Enjoy your time in school. I suggest getting a bachelors in what you love and then figure out what you can and can't do later. You have no idea how you will feel in the future or what kind of accomadations jobs and schools will make for you, so go for it and let time tell you what is what. Apply to schools and find out what their disability office can do for you. I never took tests with other people and mine were untimed. My professors knew I was sick and most were very understanding. I just finished my BA at Columbia U and am going to grad school in museum studies and material culture next year. I would love to study medicine or nursing, but know I can't. My passion is American History and art, but I also thought it would be a hobby. I will love having it as a career though. Decide what you want to study for a while and go for it. Good for you!

Wow, these are some great ideas!! Dan and the others who have been involved in photography- how did you get into it, and without taking classes how would I know whats good and what isn't? My dad has been a photographer on the side for as long as I can remember, and he's shown me a few things, but I am technically challenged and not sure of myself with all this fancy camera equipment. I just don't know where to start, but I'd like to spend my summer getting a portfolio together. I may just decide to get into that myself and pursue the criminal justice degree in the meantime! But any more advice would be greatly appreciated =)

Hi Jessica.

I was lucky enough to have a friend of the family that had his own camera store/photo lab and also worked for the Miami Herald. I went to work in his store after school when I was about 14, and learned everything on the job.

It was the best way to learn because I was exposed (no pun intended) to all kinds of equipment and different styles of photography, so I wasn't limited by taking a photo course from a photographer that was biased towards a certain brand of camera, film, and/or style.

I eventually learned how to process film and started spending more time taking pictures. At first, I went to the football and baseball games just because it was great to watch the game from the sidelines. I have a picture of O.J. Simpson holding me in a headlock that was taken back in the days when the Pro Bowl was sometimes held at the Orange Bowl in Miami. Creepy. I will have to find that one and scan and post it!

I still do photo work when I am able for my interactive software projects. I do a lot of QuickTime VR/iPIX type panoramic stuff and digital video for CD-ROMs and web sites, but it isn't the same.

You might want to start by searching for some good books on beginning photography. There might even be some decent web sites out there. You can always take a class at a local community center or college. Once you learn the basics, you will soon develop your own style. I'm really thrilled for you and hope you are able to make something happen with it! Best,

Dan

I started out just helping a friend who had one of those "antique photo" places, there I learned to pose people and got a lot of good tips. You can take an artistic quality photo of almost anything. You just have to use your imagination and sometimes think: would an enlarged picture of that look good on someone's wall? You will learn. The new, digital programs available on the computers are great!