Low Blood Sugar, POTS, NCS...

Hi Guys,

I'm going to try and make this short. I felt realllllly weird today...I was doing a puzzle for a little while and I felt lightheaded, dizzy, and weak. I went to use the bathroom (just to urinate!) and the dizziness got worse. It looked like the bathroom tiles were moving around. So after I went back to the other room I still felt weird, but not as dizzy. An hour or two go by and then I started to shake. I wasn't cold just trembley (not sure if that's even a word!).

Today all I had eaten at that point was 2 pieces of a kit kat bar, 4 bites of an apple, and a sandwich, and a few potato chips as well as some water. I then got a donut with sugar on it and after a little while I felt quite a bit of relief...not much, but good enough for me to drive home.

I am just curious to see what you guys think may have caused this and if anyone else has had the same symptoms...I had actually been feeling quite normal lately until today. Now I got palps/tachy :D .

Anyhow, thanks for any input!

Jacquie

I get a similar thing sometimes. I have even take my blood sugar w/ a little blood test kit I was given at one point when they thought my pots stuff was blood sugar related...and my blood sugar will be normal..

I don;t know the answer but I think it is our wonderful bodies being potsy.

p.s. you can get a blood sugar prick test thing (like my scientific language??? and I have a B.S. in Biology too) at the local pharmacy...I dont remember how much they cost though.

might I recommend a few pointers ( i have diabetes) for when your sugar is low?? Um..you can get a gluco-meter at the pharmacy.. w/ that you would need to get test strips (the thing that you put the drop of blood on) and lancets (the thing you put in the thing that you prick the finger with).. also this works best.. either alcohol prep pad or some cotton balls and just like rubbing alcohol.. to cleanse the site with (typically the finger)

a good gluco meter can be quite pricy..(mine was about 90$)do you have insurance coverage?? If you have insurance coverage.. you can talk to your doc about testing your for diabetes.. basic blood test.. then if you have elevated or low sugar levels they can order a test (also a blood test) to check the gluco levels over the past 2-3 months.. point being.. that maybe your doc can write you a script for gluco-meter.. and hopefully insurance will pick up all if not most of the cost.. so that you wouldnt have to shell out all tha money out of your pocket.

Um if your sugar is low or you feel that it is low.. it is best to drink some Juice (be in apple-cranberry- or OJ).. or 4oz. of REGULAR soda pop.. not diet.. now it you can not tolerate pop/caffeine.. juice will have the same effect..

drinking juice is suppose to give you a more stable rise in glucose..verses eating a candy bar or some kind of sugary food.. as chocalate bars and cookies and things like that will give you a spike in sugar.. which will only be a temporary fix.. verse the Juice or actual fruit that will give you a more stable rise in sugar..

and also if you feel like you ar ahving sugar problems.. try and eat several small meals thru the day.. to keep a steady stream of "fuel" so to speak going thru your system.. I know when you arent feelingwell some times food is the last thing that you want to think of!!

Just some thoughts on ways to help you feel better....these are things that I do to help maintain a stable sugar level.. these work for me.. maybe they will help you as well.. always good to talk to the doc about these issues.. and get checked to make sure its not your sugar causing you to feel poorly..

good lcuk and hagn int here dear!!

Linda

when I saw Dr. Grubb last I asked him about my blood sugar, it is very low in am, around 58. He told me that if you test on your fingers us POTS patients will not get an accurate reading. I don't remember the reason why but I think you have to test somewhere else. It had something to do with when BP drops extremities don't have right blood volume?????? I asked so many questions and he gave so many very long answers I should have brought a tape recorder cuz I can't remember half of what he said. My brain isn't what it used to be.

Kim

Thanks for your replies. :) I usually have these symptoms alot, but they were really bad and lasted a long time, that's what got me nervous. I wonder if it was that my blood glucose levels were low since the donut seemed to help...I also didn't eat very much that day...who knows?!

Jacquie

Hi,

The hgb A1C is the blood test that checks average blood sugar levels over a period of months. Its 1 test.

There is also a glucose tolorance test.

The reason why you do not get accurate readings on the glucomter from your finger with POTS is because with low blood volume and fluctuations in BP your blood is shunted to your vital organs leaving less blood in your arms and legs at any given time.

I really think the reason we get these symptoms or i do anyway is because I do not eat right and when my body gets hungry my blood rushes to my digestive system, but who knows.

:) Janine

WOW!! i kinda feel stupid suggesting testing on your finger!!..(sorry!! :) ) I did not know that pots patients done get accurate reading on the finger!! OMG!! so where do I test now??

WOW the numerous times I've been in the docs office to the hospital.. they always check w/ my finger!!

learn something new every day!! :)

Oh My... Dont feel stupid..... I would think in the case of being a diabetic it would be ok since you are regularly checking your sugar and have your range. Is your hgba1c ok? And most of the time if you are in the hospital you get a blood sugar done from drawn blood along with your finger stick. that wolud be a good way for you to see if your blood sugars are accurate... do a finger stick with your machine the next time you have blood drawn and compare results.

:) Janine

THanks for all your replies. I'm just not sure which doctor to mention this to...maybe my PCP!

Jacquie

When I was in the hospital in 2000. I past out two times when I was there. Both times when I came two they checked my blood sugar. Both times it was really low, but on both times when they rechecked it it had jumped up. I am not sure it when we pass out everything just get off. I was test with the hole blood work ans the stuff you drink (sorry brain fog bad today) and everything was fine. I would see if you can get tested or just toal to youe doctor. THey still test mine off and on at appoitment just to check how things are going.