Cold medicine

Meliss446

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of a good cold medicine that doesn't potentially cause tachycardia? I have been hit with a really bad cold, but I am hesitent to take any meds because I have had a few doctors tell me not to take cold medicine because it can exacerbate the tachycardia. Usually I just don't take anything, but I haven't slept well for the last few days and if I don't get some relief/sleep I don't think it will be good. I know there are cold medicines that are are for people who can't usually take them because of high blood pressure, but I wanted to know if you guys had found anything helpful that didn't make you tachy. I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem, but since numerous doctors have warned me, and I have a tendency to get really really tachy, I thought I better steer clear of most cold meds. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

Hi, I know to avoid anything with pseudoephedrine in it, because it can cause tachycardia. When I am sick I take Tylenol or Tylenol Sore Throat. Stay away from stuff like Sudafed, etc. it has pseudoephedrine in it.

Jacquie

I use Zicam when I am comming down with a cold and it usually cuts my cold in half.... I carry it around with me to get it right away if I feel a sore throat. Maybe this can help you......

I dont do well with cold meds either... I usually use steam with tea tree oil.....vick vapor rub.....

Maybe a childs cold medicine might be ok for you?

Feel Better !

I have a cold and also stay away from pseudoephedrine. I don't think it's worth the tachy. I use Advil, Chloroseptic throat spray, lozenges and peppermint tea and oil on my temples and chest. Not much else you can do. I also have heard Zicam may help but haven't tried it yet.

Amy

Guest Belinda

Be careful some of the childrens cold meds contain pseudoephedrine too..I used to give my sone them until Irealized this interacts with asthma meds.

Remember even though some don't think it helps try using Vitamin C drops..I cut my cold down to next to nothing drinking tea and honey and vitamin C drops..not cough drops.

Take care and hope you feel betters oon!!! :)

Coriciden is the only brand I found that did not have psuedoepinephrine. But, it does nothing for me. A pharamacist can help you. For me personally, I take my chances with psedoepinphrine because it is the only thing that helps when I am sick- but I rarely have to take it (thank goodness!). Good luck.

Carmen

Hi,

Zicam if I can catch it early enough. Benedryl or Vistaril if sinus congestion is bad. Tesalon pearles if cough hurts. Zinc losenges, exta vit c. tea tree oil in the vaperizor. Lavender tea if it moves to my chest.

I have to avoid the guifenesen also which is found in some cold meds and cough meds.

Hope you get rid of your cold soon

Janine

Guest CyberPixie

I use olbas oil , not sure if you can get it where you are.

As an alternative, you could use eucalyptus oil and either sniff it or use it in an oil burner. I've found rubbing a tiny bit on my sinuses helps them to open up. (Tho it feels very warm and a little burny, but when you're desperate you dont care!).