a drink that gives you proer nutrition??

dizzygirl

Ok folks one more question here..

is ther something that I can drink that will give me some nutrition value?? afriend suggested pedia-sure..

I guess that I am loking for something that will give me some proper nutrition... more and more I am getting to where i cannot eat..even the really bland boring stuf.. as I vomitt even thing up or get diarrhea.. and severe tummy pain.. or all at once.. AHHHHHH!!!!

But I am concerned about what the lack of food is doing to my body...and on the flip side what food does to the body! confusing.. baffling

I do not need to gain weight.. wiegh enough.. but um..I just need some direction and in puts..

I have gotten ot the point where i ant even eat my yogurt anymore.. b/c everything taste funny and makes me want to puke.. and I really am not apicky eater...

my diet now consists of bannana puding- cottage cheese- velveeta cheese.. thats about it. applesauce..

wow!! what a variety! doc havent found what is casuing such "distress" in me as of yet.. probably pots!

My husband drinks Ensure when he needs balance and calories. He says the chocolate is the best, but he is not overly fond of any of them. They do taste sweet, much sweeter than milk. Jeff's oncology doc says that a person can live off Ensure. While Jeff is getting chemo, the oncologist tells me that he should get 2000 calories a day. Often the Ensure won't do it. You can boost the calorie count of Ensure by adding ice cream in a blender.

i got to be a bit of an expert at this topic last winter/spring...

pedialyte is better than nothing but is designed for electrolyte replacement not overall nutrition...

Boost & Ensure are very similar, as are some of the generic formulations. there are also "plus" versions which are a bit more calorie-dense as well as varieties that have extra protein, fiber, etc. i tried various flavors and didn't mind any but the strawberry...thought it was nasty :) chocolate, vanilla, chocolate malt, & butterscotch were all okay by me.

they also make puddings that have more nutrition than regular pudding...

if you can't tolerate boost/ensure ( i couldn't at times...) there is something called boost breeze which is a clear liquid; it's non-fat which makes it easier on the tummy but has a lot more other "stuff" in it than pedialyte. it's a bit harder to find but it's what they put me on in the hospital. it's not "complete" nutrition, i.e. you can't live off of it exclusively, but it's MUCH better than nothing. it comes in a berry/punch flavor and a tropical flavor. i found it a bit tart at times when my throat was sensitive (from too much throwing up :( ) but could tolerate it when almost nothing else stayed down. ensure has a clear version too but i've heard it's super syrupy and thus pretty icky...never tried it though.

whilst living almost exclusively off of the above i found a few other things to add variety to the mix...

Snapple a Day Meal Replacement. these come in three or four varieties and are pretty yummy. there is a diet variety that i didn't try but the regular version is fat free which made it more tolerable/digestible for me than boost/ensure at times. yet it has a bit more substance than the boost breezes. at one point i charted out all of the nutritional info and aside from the fat they have almost all the nutrients that a boost/ensure has...

lastly i tried gerber juice medleys. yes i know...baby food....but i was desparate & they came in little bottles that were just my speed at the time. i used two flavors - both the varieties that were a yogurt/juice mix (as opposed to just juice) so a bit more of a light smoothie. essentially they're a mix of yogurt & several juices.

none of the above are particularly cheap but nutrition is definitely important so i see them as necessary expenses if nothing else is working...

hope this helps,

B) melissa

hey wow thanks for all the idea's.. i'm excited variety!! YEAH!

where do you buy "snapple a day meal replacements?"" and what are they? are they drinks?..

yeah I was thinking about gerber baby food as well.. but have diverted from buying them yet.. as my boyfriend likes to pick on me about having to eat baby food.. then i feel like a dingy for thinking baby food might be a good idea.. (hey babys eat it so there must be nutrition in and it must be gentle.. b/c well babies are eating it!!).. but I do buy hte gerber graduates animal crackers.. :):( -LOL they actually arent bad.. even caught the boyfriend eating a few!! LOL.. how about that for irony!!

thanks again for the help..maybe if i get some better nutrition going on while i am trying to figure out what is up with the guts.. i will feel better!! ah.. we can dream right??

hey...this time last year i would have never dreamed that i'd be able to eat as much as i can these days so...it can happen :(

the snapple-a-days are drinks....in a bottle with a twist cap similar to boost/ensures (the boost breezes on the other hand are in cans). the snapple's a bit trickier to find....along the same lines as the boost breezes. i think my mom & i generally found them at larger grocery stores. there are three flavors i believe (peach, strawberry-banana, & tropical). i think i may have seen them at a rite-aid or walgreens once too but am not sure. i know i bought them at a GIANT grocery store but not sure if you have those in PA (not giant eagle, just giant). they sell them in 4-packs but also sometimes individually in the refrig. section.

i will tell you that both my mom & i had to do some calling around for both the breezes & the snapples at times so it may take some hunting-down...

:) melissa

p.s. everything i mentioned definitely tastes best cold B)

hey thanks!! wha twould I do without you guys!!

Hmm.. we have a rite aide here.. um.. the biggest grocery store we havea round erie is like wegmans and tops..quality.. and of course.. giant eagle! LOL :)

I am going to call around tomorrow to see if i cant find these products.. and see what I like best..

thanks again!!

hey thanks!! wha twould I do without you guys!!

Hmm.. we have a rite aide here.. um.. the biggest grocery store we havea round erie is like wegmans and tops..quality.. and of course.. giant eagle! LOL :)

I am going to call around tomorrow to see if i cant find these products.. and see what I like best..

thanks again!!

If you can't stomach the products that were mentioned previously (I couldn't), you might want to try Carnation Instant Breakfast. My doctor recommended that since I didn't like the other products.

I second Lisa on the Carnation Instant Breakfast. They make a low-carb version as well that doesn't have as much sugar, which might be better if you are sugar-sensitive. The nutrients are otherwise the same. My sister, who is in family practice, said she talked with a dietitian about nutritional drinks and that this drink is much cheaper than Ensure and has almost all of the same vitamins, plus less sugar.

Amy

I was on Ensure a long time ago when I was having trouble eating and had lost a lot of weight unintentionally. It was what my doctor suggested because it contained all the nutritional content. Also, my roomate when I was hospitalized for pneumonia was on Ensure--and had been for months. She could only tolerate liquids following surgery for stomach cancer. She was maintaining her weight and working toward going home.

Nina