Flying to see Dr Grubb

danelle

Hi everyone! I have a question and I know Calypso asked this not long ago but here it goes again. I have an appt with Dr Grubb on April 28th(Yeah!!) and it is about a 10-11hr drive for me. I know riding is difficult for me-it really makes my legs ache! My husband wants to fly because it is quicker and we only have 3 days total to make the trip but I am terrified. I haven't flown since I was a very young child. It's not so much being nervous about flying in itself but I am SO worried that my heartrate will go wacko or I won't be able to breathe good. I read the responses about lots of fluid and salt and I would definately do that but I am just so afraid of the heartrate/rhythym/breathing thing. I would be on a plane the first time for 2 hours and then after a 3 hour layover it would be another 70 minutes or so(I think on a smaller plane).

For those of you that do have bad symptoms-what are they and how do you deal with them on the plane-how fast or irregular do your heartbeats get?

My husband is very aggressive about going ahead and flying(it's not his systems that will go crazy!!) but I would love some more input from my expert friends who have flown before.

I know when I get in a swimming pool, there is a lot of pressure on my chest from the water and it is sometimes difficult to breathe, I'm just wondering if this is the same kind of thing. Is it safe to fly???? ANy input is greatly appreciated!!

SUE, congrats on the birthday, wine and cheesecake!!!!

Thanks to all, Danelle

Hi Danelle

Can't help you out on the flying/have never done that but wanted to let you know if you are staying at the hotel on the hospital grounds (Can't think of the name of the hotel but someone will see this and let you know) they will give you a discount just let them know you are seeing Dr. Grubb

Your a day early too!! My appointment is the day before yours :lol:

Best Wishes

Sue

Can't comment on the flying because I live just outside Toledo, but just as a side note my appointment was actually for the 29th with Dr. Grubb....I've waited 6 months for this appointment and they called yesterday and left a message saying that Dr. Grubb will be out of town on the 29th so I have to reschedule. I tell you, Ihave no luck with doctors...nada...zip...the last time I saw him he gave me the beta blocker and Florinef to try...I was afraid to take the Florinef but wanted to take the BB so I called his office to ask if I could take one without the other and never got a return call. So, 6 months later I was hoping to get THAT questioned answered which actually doesn't matter since I've been on the BB anyway without the Florinef and now this. I'm sorry to be a downer but I'm disappointed. I need a doctor.

Hi Danelle. I'd love to be able to offer some words of comfort as you embark on your very important journey to see Dr. Grubb. But if there's one thing I've learned in the last couple months of reading posts on this forum, it's that each of us is unique and each of us reacts differently to different sets of stimuli and environmental change! My guess is that how you do--on the plane or in the car--will be in primarily due to how you're doing before you start out. That is, if you're feeling really crappy, getting in a car or heading to the airport won't make you feel any better! So frankly, it's probably a wash either way.

If you haven't been on a plane in years, then I don't think you really have any idea what it'll be like for you next week. That is, other people's bad experiences--or good ones--won't really be a predictor for YOU! You can't know before you try how flying will be for you. (Whereas you do seem to know that driving long distances makes your legs ache, because that's something you HAVE tried in more recent times.)

Let me reemphasize the things you already know to do--be especially sure to have a high sodium, high fluid diet for a couple days before flying; make sure you're well-hydrated before takeoff and have a bottle of gatorade on hand for during the flight. And absolutely positively wear compression hose--thigh high or higher! (In fact, wear them if you decide to drive--they may help with the leg-ache thing.) I also recommend bringing with you a portable CD player, plenty of batteries, and a CD or 2 of your favorite music--the kind you can sing along to in your head--or a meditation/visualization CDs that can help focus your mind and energy if you're feeling tense and worried or tachy. (This helps me enormously!)

I truly hope that next week you'll be feeling pretty decent and strong and well rested so that your travel will feel more like an adventure than a harbinger of more illness and uncontrollable symptoms.

I haven't traveled since I was diagnosed with POTS (after 30 or so years of tachycardia and a whole host of other symtoms that were ignored or misdiagnosed--nothing incapacitating, thank goodness. But this year I've been much more symptomatic and finally saw cardiologists and got diagnosed.) But I AM getting on a plane to Grand Cayman Island next week for 5 days--a long flight, 2 planes, from Chicago! This will be my first time flying prepared, however, and I'm hoping it will be a good trip. G-d knows I need it--after a failed IVF attempt and a father in hospital and nursing facility for the last month, I need to go somewhere and SIT DOWN. Plus it's my 5th wedding anniversary ... but I digress. (For the record, flying has never made my tachycardia or other symptoms worse... except I'm typically extremely constipated throughout my trip! But now that I know WHY that happens, I'll be able to take appropriate steps to take care of that!) I'll be back the 27th, so I can post again and let you know whether my own advice is worth its salt. :lol:

Think good thoughts,

Merrill

I saw Dr. Grubb a couple of months ago. I flew from Oregon by myself to see him. I've experienced some bad symptoms, but I managed because I had too. I went 2 days early and stayed in my room and slept. I took some snacks and extra water to keep in the room in case the restraunt was closed.

It's important to drink plenty of fluids, increase your salt intake, get up and walk around in flight to stretch your muscles.

Write down everything you want to say well in advance of your appointment incase your tired from the trip or just plain experiencing that good ole' POTS brain fog.

Appreciate your hubby going with you and that your not in it by yourself.

Take notes during your appt. Make two game plans, one now and a back up in case the first one doesn't work, as far as treatment of your current symptoms.

The Hilton is great there!

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=TOLTHHF

Jackie, I am SO sorry to hear that your appt was cancelled!! That is so terrible. I don't know what I would do if that happened. My appt was made in Jan. and was originally for August but I called everyday asking about cancellations and FINALLY on Wed. the told me he had a cancellation on the 28th so I grabbed it.

I hope she doesn't call me on Monday and give me the bad news too.

It sounds like you didn't have such a good experience with dr grubb. My husband is afraid that I am expecting too much from this trip and am going to be disappointed. Maybe I am, I don't know.......

Just wanted to say sorry, I truly hate that for you. Wish I could share my appt with you-I would. WHen are you rescheduled for?

Danelle

Thanks to all who responded!!!!!!!!!

Danelle, don't feel bad that you got in...I think it is great really especially for an initial visit which is far more important than me who has already been diagnosed even though blowing in the wind in a sense. I was just surprised by the appointments around that date that's all...if I hadn't seen your post I would not have brought it up. I didn't have a bad experience with Dr. Grubb at all...he's great...I just think he is way overworked though and the nurses don't return calls but that has been just my experience maybe. I like more hands on but I fear he is too busy for hands on at least in my case. For people who live far away, flying in every 6 months is probably about all they could do but I live just across town from MCO (15-20 minute drive) so I wish I could get in more often. I haven't called them back yet to reschedule because I just found out (hadn't listened to my voice mail for a day or so....). Anyway, I'm truly happy for you and I wish you luck with your appointment. You ARE going to love Dr. Grubb....he is very mild mannered and highly intelligent. He's one of those people that you can just see the wheels turning in his mind as he is deep in thought, etc. He is very gentle and soft spoken. Keep us updated.

This is good information for all plane travelers and would probably work for long drives too.. One of my young friends with no health problems just got a blood clot in her leg on a return flight from Hawaii.

In an airplane, the dehydration caused by the dry air may thicken blood. In addition, the low cabin pressure, combined with immobility in cramped seats, may cause blood to collect in the legs.

In addition, you can

Walk around the cabin every 15 to 30 minutes if possible during flights of three hours or longer

Do some simple stretching exercises while seated

Sleep only for short periods?up to 30 minutes at a time

Limit alcohol and caffeine, which may contribute to dehydration

Bring your own water bottle, or request water if your flight has a beverage service

Walk briskly through the airport during layovers

In-flight exercises

Ankle turns: Lift your feet off the floor and move your toes in a circle, one foot moving clockwise and the other foot moving counterclockwise. Change direction and repeat.

Foot lifts: Place your heels on the floor and bring your toes up as high as you can. Then put both feet back flat on the floor. Then pull your heels up while keeping the balls of your feet on the floor.

Knee lifts: While keeping your knee bent, raise your leg while tensing your thigh muscle. Repeat 20 to 30 times, alternating legs.

Shoulder rolls: Raise your shoulders and then move them forward, downward and then backward in a smooth circular movement.

Arm bends: Start with your elbows on the armrests and your hands pointed forward so that your lower and upper arms make a 90-degree angle. Take turns moving your left and then your right hand toward your chest and back, and continue for 30 seconds.

Knee to chest: Bend slightly forward. Fold your hands together around your left knee and pull it toward your chest. Hold this position for 15 seconds and let your knee drop slowly. Change legs and repeat.

Forward bends: Place both feet on the floor and pull your abdomen in. Bend slowly forward and ''walk'' your fingers along your shins to your ankles. Hold for 15 seconds and sit up slowly.

Upper-body stretch: Stretch both arms over your head. With your right hand, grab your left wrist and pull it slowly to the right. Hold for 15 seconds and change arms.

Shoulder stretch: With your right hand, grab your left elbow and pull your outstretched left arm slowly toward your right shoulder. Hold for 15 seconds and change arms.

Neck roll: Relax your shoulders, let your head drop to your right shoulder and roll your head slowly to the front and then to your left side. Repeat five times.

The full article is at http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfact....cfm?itemid=290

Hi---i live in Toledo just about a half mile from MCO---where Dr. Grubb's office.

There is a hotel right on the MCO-(Medical College of Ohio) campus--

The Toledo Hilton----419-381-6800.

They will offer a discount if you mention that you are coming to Toledo to see DR. Grubb.

Julie--

PS- if you need further help with anything---feel free to e-mail me at

julia59@buckeye-express.com