florinef weight gain

sallyann

I?m taking a fludrocortisone med (though the brand name is not florinef, depends probably on the country) for 5 months now in a low dose (0.1mg 1x/day) and didn?t gain any weight at all. The only problem I had, especially at the beginning, were strong headaches. I think it helps me to keep my blood pressure up most of the time and not drop so often. But I had syncopes anyway. :(

i have been on florinef for over 10 years and it didnt cause weight gain for me at all.

i have now been changed to "fludrocortisone" which is actually the generic form (there didnt used to be a generic form until recently). i haven't had problems with that, either.

i'm sure it could be different for everyone, though.

HI.. when I was on florinef.. I gained approx. 25lbs. I was only on florinef a short time.. and once I stopped taking the florinef.. 20lbs came off rather quickly and without a lot of effort.. all depends on how the med effects the person..goodlcuk with it.. I hope that it helps your daughter!!!!

I didn't gain weight at all, but I have trouble keeping weight on. I have been on florinef for about 4 years now, and am currently on .4 mg. I have been on as high of a dose as .8 mg though, and the most I have weighed in 4 years is 110 lbs. But I am sure it is different for everyone, and like I said, I have problems gaining weight and keeping it on.

Hi,

I've gained about 20 lbs since I got POTS. I was on florinef for a year (.1 and then .2), and I thought that was responsible for my weight gain. But I have been off of it for a year and haven't lost any weight. I have also cut down on my beta blocker, which also makes you gain weight, and I haven't lost any weight from that either! I think my gain is because I sit around the house a lot and am not as active as I used to be.

I think gaining a few pounds is OK, but you're supposed to contact your doctor if you gain too much weight, have swelling around the ankles, etc.

-Rita

thank you for all your replies. i wish all of you well. i dont post much anymore because my daughter is doing horrible and we have been spending the majority of our time in the er.im having so much trouble coping with all of this i cant even function anymore.you are all in my prayers

sallyann

Yes I gain weight on it, but mine is usually fluid retention. Although since I have been on it I have gained some weight that i can not get rid of. On my last visit to my cardio I was overloaded with fluids and he cut my florinef way down. Just cant seem to find a happy medium to my problems. If my b/p is ok then my body goes totally haywire and i start stroking. If my b/p is low then my body goes totally haywire and I start fainting. My cardio doesnt know what to do now. Vanessa

sally -

so sorry to hear that your daughter has been having such a rough time. i KNOW (as someone who had MAJOR body image issues in my teen years) that potential weight gain is an unfavorable proposition, but if there's a chance of a med helping how she feels i think it's definitely still worth a go. personally - as someone who has never had trouble gaining weight - i gained little or no weight on florinef. i was on .2mg for years and my only problem was with potassium (or lack there of). so the florinef/weight gain issue varies A LOT.

hang in there,

:o melissa