Daily Vitamin

Jacquie802

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here takes a daily vitamin...I have never taken one and I am wondering if one would help with the fatige I have been having lately. I don't know why I am sooo tired. I have only been up for 5 hours today and I feel exhausted. I never left the house either. I feel awake for a few hours then all of a sudden I am soo fatigued. Caffeine is out of the question, because my heart goes tachy with it.

Thank you for any input! :)

Jacquie

I take a multi vitamin and have been since the doctor suggested it when I was borderline anemic about 4 years ago. I can't say that it has really done wonders for my energy, as I still get fatigued easily, but it at least gives me more vitamins than I could probably get each day. I dont know as if it would completely eradicate the fatigue, but you could probably just try it and see if it does help. But I know what you mean about being tired all the time! And caffeine is definitely a bad solution for POTS. Even chocolate can send my HR high! In fact one doctor I saw told me to not consume any caffeine whatsoever, not even chocolate. But I haven't really found much to help with the fatigue, other than staying within my limits (which are small!) and getting enough sleep.

I highly recommend taking a mutli daily to anyone. Most people simply don't eat a balanced diet and don't get the proper nutrition.

As far as energy goes, many of the whole food based vitamins are good for this, as they are more quickly assimilated into the system. And since they are made from cultured whole food instead of isolated vitamins they work together much more synergistically.

Some of the whole food vitamin brands include New Chapter (i take this brand because it's GF), Garden of Life and Nature's Plus, Source of Life.

If you still aren't finding an increase in energy level, you may need to supplement with extra B vitamins. Also herbs like astragalus and ginseng are good for increasing energy (ginseng should not be used with some medications though).

You could also try small amounts of exercise if you can tolerate it to build your energy levels.

Good luck :)

Gena

Guest CyberPixie

I was prescribed caffeine and it helps me!

I do take some vitamins. B6, Vit C, B12, Zinc, Magnesium and Potassium.

Have found the Magnesium helps with the fatigue, apparently you can be low in this with POTS (I noticed a difference in a week, though it's not a cure) Also if you're taking Florinef which depletes potassium, the low potassiumn levels means you will be low in magnesium too. Since taking potassium my HR has been a lot more steady too (you can be low in potassium with POTS even if you're not taking Florinef).

Hoping to start taking Omega 3 and Vit E and D soon (I do everything slowly at low doses).

Also Colostrum and Lectoferren I may start taking as it can be very helpful with CFS (amongst other things).

I have POTS, chronic fatigue, and am 58 years old. I take a Centrum Silver every morning along with Cerefolin (folate for the brain), Cal/Mag/Zinc, and extra vitamin D, and in the winter, extra C.

The C in winter is preventative for colds, the Cal/Mag/Zinc plus extra D is preventative for osteoprosis.The Cerefolin is prescribed by my POTS doc for mild forgetfulness and memory loss prevention.

Does the Centrium Silver help with my fatigue? I don't know, because I am not going to stop taking it in order to find out. A person with POTS still needs the same kind of maintainence that a person without POTS does, so I take the daily vitamin.

I have read that some people with POTS find caffine helpful for fatigue. I have the hyperbeta adregenetic form and I avoid caffine completely because it causes me palpitations.

Because of anemia the docs want me to take a prenatal vit daily. I found a great product that works well and it is absorbed better and other products that take the harmful chemicals out of my home. If you are interested email be and I'll send you a link.

I take Jiuce plus caps... They basically give you all the nurtrition of 12 different fruits and veggies a day.....

I find these have worked better for me b.c they are a whole food and my body absorbs them better.

Although I know we all have different tolerance levels...

If anyone is interested I believe its www.juiceplus.com

I take a multi but it doesn't help. I figure it doesn't hurt.

Gena: I was surprised to see that you can take ginseng. This herb is like caffeine for me -- I can't handle it because I get tachy and overstimulated sympathetic-wise. Does this have to do with different varieties of ginseng, or is my body just overly sensitive?

Amy

Amy -

I don't take ginseng as a supplement, but there is a very minute amount in the whole food vitamins I take. It doesn't affect me at all.

Sometimes I do take a separate astragalus supplement though during periods of high stress at work. :D

Gena