low blood pressure

cbhowell

They normally say that you shouldn't notice any ill effects until it drops below 80 (top number I think). BUT, my wife notices ill effects when it starts dropping below 110 or so (depending on some other factors). Doctors would say that is low, but not too low. Maybe others have opinions on this too, but it seems like unless your pressure drops to extreme levels the doctors don't think it impacts you. They basically told me wife, there is no way that could be causing what you are feeling. I hate it when they try to tell you how you are supposed to feel.

103/73 is a very normal BP. 90/60 is the mark at which anything below is considered low BP.

What was your BP before you started Toprol? If you're taking 100 mg (which is a hefty dose -- is that extended release or something?), your BP may even have been a little high before. I have gone from 130/80 to 110/72 with just a 25 mg dose of Toprol 2x/day.

That sounds about like a normal BP for me...beta blockers take me into the 90s/60s usually (or sometimes I stay up in the 100/70 range)..BUT sometimes I go down to 80s/50s...that is when I get really feeling symptomatic....90s/60s feels okay to me...been that way most of my life that I know of 90s/60s to 100s/70s - by the way I take atenolol 25 mg once a day. Can't figure out why some days I go low and some days I don't unless it is fluid depletion, etc. Also, some days I get a little depressed around 2 hours after taking it and sometimes I don't too bad...can't figure that one out either.

There is a wide range of pressures. How do you feel?

If I get below 100/, I know it. If I drop below 90, I feel really poor and usually need fluids to be given intravenously.

I can't stress enough blood pressure depends on how you feel with it! Talk to your doc about it.

Beta-blockers can have a huge effect on pressure and heart rate. Some people have to try different beta blockers until they find a brand and dosage that fits them.

My blood pressure gets very low and on a good day will be 110/70. The lowest recorded for me is 60/40 still standing. I can easily have a blood pressure of 80 or under and I still standing. The doctors normally says its very low and that's it. I take blood pressure tablets twice a day and it still stays low. I have had this problem since I can remember. Someday I feel drunk it is so low. Like I have had a bottle of wine for breakfast. The worst is when you walk and look drunk. Have that at least once a week. :)