Thyroid Question

Jacquie802

Can POTS affect your thyroid?? I am just wondering if POTS can cause you to have problems with your thyroid....Or could your thyroid makes POTS symptoms worse? Sorry I know how confusing this sounds B)

I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg. Thyroid problems run in my family but not POTS. Some of the symptoms are so similar that I think alot of people are not getting diagnosed right. Two drs were just positive it was thyroid but after two different types of thyroid med, I still wasn't feeling any better except my hair stopped falling out. I do still take thyroid med but even with a flexible range i'm still "normal". Its simple to get a blood test and get the right med but don't stop there if the symptoms persist.:-)

Guest CyberPixie

I know that POTS is connected with endocrine problems. I myself have thyroid antibodies though havent developed Hashimoto's yet. My endocrinologist said there's a possibility I wont get it but my antibody levels are VERY high. In normal people without it it should be under 40, mine is 509!

I don't know whether thyroid problems are related to POTS or not. If you have hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid, also called Grave's disease), you could get tachycardia. If you have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), maybe you could have a blood volume deficit as a result. I don't know for sure. Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which causes hypothyroidism, is an autoimmune disease. Maybe POTS is also a result of an autoimmune process. So, theoretically, POTS and Hashimoto's could both be results of the same underlying cause.

If you have a condition that looks like a thyroid disorder but your thyroid hormone levels are normal, perhaps you have a mitochondrial disorder. Thyroid hormones affect the number and activity of the mitochondria, which are the "powerhouses of the cell."

The other thing to note is that most of us are female, and quite a few of us are no longer in our 20s. So you'd expect a high incidence of hypothyroidism among us, just by random chance, even if we didn't have POTS.

lthomas stole some words right out of my mouth! Mainly I was going to say that the incidence of hypothyroidism among adult women is about 10%. So, it is not surprising that there is such an incidence of women on this site with thyroid disorder.

I also have both POTS and Hashimoto's. I know that patients with Hashimoto's TEND to have other autoimmune conditions--and I do wonder if an autoimmune process is involved with the POTS that I have, but at this point, there is no answer.

Interesting, I did not know that low thyroid affected blood volume. Maybe that is another reason I find I feel best when my TSH is no higher than 2.0.

Katherine

When i first got POTS my doctor thought I had Graves because i was trembling and losing so much weight and had heart palpitations,.

My thyroid received the most thorough examination imaginable and it was always found to be normal so for me I know it wasnt the cause of my symptoms. Thyroid disease and autoimmune diseases do run in my family to some extent, but POTS is it for me so far god willing.

Im not sure, but I know that my thyroid was checked and it is ok. But I dont know if I have pots. my doc thinks that it might be MSA or PAf he is not sure though. Vanessa

Can POTS affect your thyroid?? I am just wondering if POTS can cause you to have problems with your thyroid....Or could your thyroid makes POTS symptoms worse? Sorry I know how confusing this sounds :P