Need any hints for quick pick me ups

Evie

Hey everyone

I have my final exam tomorrow and i am all ready for it except today i started feeling naseaus and have had dioreha its got worse as the day went on. Now migranes are starting and body is shakey... I just took some glucose power to help with electrolites etc for any lost. Sorry to be graphic.

Hope this post makes sense i find spelling hard when unwell.

I really want to do this exam, i realise that there is no wonder drug but any advice about how to fight this feeling even for a hour or two so i can get the exam out of the way would be greatly aprriceated.

At least its multiple choice so i dont have to worry about spelling heh.

I know how to fight normal pots symptoms but unsure of how to handle the bug.

Hi- for a quick "get-me-through" I rely on condensed soup because it is loaded with sodium. To this, I add a ton of saltines. This may sound rudimentary but it has saved me many of times. Good luck on your exam1

Carmen

PS I buy soup by the case- it is that important for me.

Good luck, Evie....It's so awful to take exams when you're sick. it diverts all your attention from the material onto how you're feeling. I know exactly how that feels.

For a quick fix, i would go with ginger ale and some Kaopectate for the diarrhea. I used to say i was going to marry the man who invented Kaopectate because it helped me get through my first semester at college when i was sick non-stop. :ph34r:

Let us know how you're doing. And remember, if you feel you can't focus on the test, you can always ask to take it another time when you feel better. I know we all hate to do that and make a hassle by putting things off, but sometimes it's a lot better to do it later if the body is being rebellious!

Good luck,

Kristen

Thank you so much for the kind words and suggestions guys ;)

Luckily im not running to the toilet anymore and i feel much better. I have no idea what it was, i dont know if there was such a thing as a 6 hour bug. I drank gastrolyte and i think it worked wonders! i had not used it before so its my new wonder drug. I think i was just dehyrated from losing so much fluid.

Kirstin whats Kaopectate? i will look it up when i get back from my exam. These sorts of hints may sound obvious but they arent for everyone so i really appreciate everyones ideas... i didnt know about adding saltanas! I will drink some gingerale today (i had heard that before but completely forgot about it yesterday).

I hope it's not too late...I wanted to wish you luck on your exam and say that I hope you are feeling better!!

When I feel nausea and upset stomach the one thing that will calm mine down is either pudding or pancakes (with very little syrup).

If I truly have a flu type bug though nothing will work for me....I have to go to the ER and get shots of Phenegran which make me sleep and I have to get IV fluids.

Gatorade or some other electrolyte drink will help keep your fluid balance properly which you may need if you're having trouble with diahrea.

Maybe you ate something that didn't agree with you??

Good Luck on the exam. I have an 8-10 page paper due tomorrow and I am only 2 pages through, oy. I find that I get shakey and very ill for every single paper, presentation and test and I try to ride the adrenaline through. I think it is a mixture of stress and pushing too hard to get all the studying/writing done. We feel very nervous that we won't even make the test too. I am a very laid back person, but I think that sub-consciously must get stressed. Also, I find that sitting to study for a long time is hard. I have to force myself to take good breaks. I try to do some studying lying down. I do it at home and I make sure the temperature is right, I am well-hydrated, had food that is easy to digest, and slept well the night before the studying. However, I always end up collapsing after the paper or final and sleeping for several days. I get quite ill and need to rest for a while. You need to be careful and take care of yourself first. I have gotten infections and pneumonia during finals periods. I think you are doing a great job and will do well on the final. Feel better soon. (PS. you might want to ask for accomodations for your tests. I take mine on a computer and i used to take them in a private room with climate i controlled where i could take breaks, read to myself, drink and eat as needed, stretch and so on. I also would reschedule my tests for afternoons when I know i feel better- this might require taking them a day early though sometimes. I hand in papers when I am feeling better which might be early or late, but I ask the professor in advance so that I do not have three papers three days in a row or two finals in as many days which I know would destroy me. Find out if there is a disability office at your school or if you can arrange individually with your prof to have accommodations. they merely make the playing field level for us since we start at a disadvantage so don't feel weird about it.)

Anyway, good luck again.

Best,

Leah

it came back! two hours before the exam i was running to the loo's again. florinef and gatorade and some food got me through. Im now wondering if it was just that my bp was crashing, however i have never had to run to the loo for that before (except if i felt like i was going to vomit). Poohbear you were right gatorade does work wonders :) thank you for the kind words!

Thanks for the advice leah :) I already get to use computers, have extra time and am able to have water etc. I also move my assesments around so i dont have two days in a row. They are really good about it here but if i go to the states to study next year i was worried they may not be so flexible? Given from what i have seen they tend to have exam periods all in one or two weeks. Here we have it over about four so its easier to spread things out.

Guest Finrussak

Evie

dont be too worried about accommodations in Universites/colleges here. We have pretty tight laws. It may take a bit of proof and speaking with your assigned advisor...Id have papers documenting your condtion sent along with the admissions packet...or in the very least with your acceptace papers if youre worried about their not admitting you. Once youre "identified" meaning its in writing that you have special needs and what those needs are, it can mean a discrimination lawsuit if they dont comply and they wont want that!!! If when the time comes and you need an advocate or some advice on who to speak with feel free to email me. PM with the request. I have been in academia/education for many years and have vast experience with advocacy for special needs...and what I cant handle I have 2 VERY capable and very knowledgeable contacts who give me the info I need to prevail!!! It can be a bit aggravating buteventually youll get compliance!!~

Good luck and I hope whatever this is that has you under the weather passes ( no pun intended)

Finette