Body temp fluctuating, low grade fevers

Roselover

I altnernate between being really cold to having a low grade fever. The doctors have been searching for a cause of the fevers, but sometimes my temp is way below normal and my hands and feet are freezing cold. Then other times I break out in a sweat for no reason. I'm thinking maybe this is another autnomic symptom. Does anyone else have this and occaisionally run low grade fevers?

Just wondering, Roselover

Guest Finrussak

Fevers are most often a sign of infection....could be your immune system is constantly fighting something off but not well enough to get rid of it...could be an as yet undx ongoing infection that keep returning....> The dysauto stuff does cause a LOT of cold hands and feet due to circulation issues...the fevers may have to do with nerve damage in the hypothalamus/temp regulation areas of the brain BUT its a dx of exclusion meaning all else must be ruled out before they decide its the hypothalamus...UNLESS there is clear MRI /CAT scan evidence.

Low temp may be due to thyroid issues, more hypothalamus issues, INFECTION ( viruses and tick illnesses have been known to LOWER temps...theyre like parasites trying to makethe host have optimum temps for their reproduction...OR your body trying to lower it to oust the buggers,,,or even simply as a result of immune system battling.) Many things are changeable as the body tries to fix things...so dont let anyone tell you that it cant be a disorder (like thyroid) unless its happening all the time.

The U.S. is rampant with undx parasitic and tick borne illnesses that take YEARS to find, unless looking for it or ordering the right tests. For me, when my Lyme si better controlled, my dysauto sx are less!!!! and Ive said before, Dr. Grubb sees MANY Lymies trying to understand their dysauto stuff...

feel better, good luck searching for answers!!

Finette

Edited by Michelle Sawicki

Rose

I'm sorry that I didn't get to come see you in the hospital. I woke up with a bad eye infection, swollen 1/4 the way from center out and 2 of the kids had just been diagnosed with pink eye that day.

I hope you are feeling better & I was so glad to hear from you.

I experience the low grade fevers all the time. Had one this morning when I got off work. I find that I usually have them going to bed, not getting up.

My temp has always run low, usually 97.6 but lately as low as 97.0. I even occasionally sweat and I never use to have that problem.

The one thing that drives me crazy is when my core body is sweating and my extremities are all ice cold. If I could correct it, I would look like frosty naked with leg warmers, wool socks and gloves up to my elbows :rolleyes:

Did you go to Vanderbilt?

Dying to talk to you again. Would've called but thought you were out of town.

Sincerely

Steph

Guest Mary from OH

Roselover,

My understanding from my Electro. was that POTS caused the temperature problems. That having a normally abnormal LOW body temperature is a sign of POTS, but so is running low-grade fevers. Did what I just wrote make sense? I have NO idea!! LOL! Between my POTS, FMS, Topamax and Morphine, I can't seem to make much sense lately!! But, at least I always have a "good excuse"!!

If it helps any, I'm the same as you. Normal body temp about 97, but VERY frequently running a temp, especially later in the day and when symptoms are bad. Also, I am frequently cold, but pardon the expression, sweat like a pig at night! It's rather embarassing!

Hope your tests up in the Clinic went ok...

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Steph and Mary, you both sound like I feel. Steph you made me laugh, but I know exactly what you mean!!!! Bamagirl, I'll be seeing Dr. Grubb in Jan and will run the idea of tickborne stuff by him. I did see and infectious diseas doc and she is running quite a few things...I don't remember what all she's checking, but one is a fungus that is airborne from bats and birds, which we have a lot of in our woods.

Thanks for the input. I really think the fevers are tied in with the periods of cold and strange sweats. Just wondered if anyone else felt this way.

Roselover

I have exactly what you're describing, but I never get fevers. My body temperature is always really low and I'm usually really cold. Sometimes I'll be hot and start sweating in a 68* room, though. It's so wierd and really annoying.

It is all because of our autonomic Nervous system. We can't regulate body temp. so we freeze and sweat to compensate for out bodies.

Sorry I can't help you! And I don't know anything about the fevers, so sorry!

Hi Roselover,

Sorry I am late on the reply. Since I got hit with POTS again 3 years ago, I have the temp swings that you are describing. There are times where I am literally freezing, and can't get enough blankets on me. My temp ranges anywhere from 97 to 99.5. On any given day, moment, etc. My docs have seen it, too. We just chalk it up to my autonomic thermostat messing up. When it goes above 100 degrees, then we know we have an infection.

Sorry you have to go through it too, but just wanted you to know you are not alone. Hooray ;)

Avais

Hi Rose, haven't "spoken" to you in a long time, so I hope you are okay!

I've had the low grade fevers a lot when I was young. These days I only sweat during the nights, and it seems excessive. I sweat on my front, back, neck, legs, arms, it's unbelievable. Oh and it's the same when I'm in bed during the day. Yesterday I woke up (okay at 10am :) ) because I got a very hot flash (not like the flashes you have with (early) menopause) and the sweat was really dripping off my legs, arms and all the rest. I wanted to get up as soon as I could as if that was the only option to get rid of the flash, which worked. I don't know what is wrong with me, I think it's the dysautonomia.

Best wishes,

Corina

Yes, this is a common occurance for me. I just cant seem to get the temp right for me. My husband is very cold natured, so it is horrible for us. I am either freezing or so hot that I feel like I cant breathe. My docs thought that I might have a viral infection, but nothing has changed. I have to have a fan blowing on me at night just to be able to breathe. It looks like we will probably have to have seperate bedrooms. But I am not ready for that just yet. I do not know about the low grade fevers. Every time that my temp has been taken it has always been low. I do not know if it is a pots symptom or not as I am new to this also. Hopefully you will find some answers. Hope you start to feel better. :) Vanessa

I altnernate between being really cold to having a low grade fever. The doctors have been searching for a cause of the fevers, but sometimes my temp is way below normal and my hands and feet are freezing cold. Then other times I break out in a sweat for no reason. I'm thinking maybe this is another autnomic symptom. Does anyone else have this and occaisionally run low grade fevers?

Just wondering, Roselover

Hi roselover...

I wanted to adda met oo to the mix.. my body temp is typically running the low side.. about 94.5-95.4 and if I am running a slight low grade fever.. even if my temp is a "normal"98.6 I consider that a fever.. as its not my normal temp.. and anything higher.. obvisously a low temp.. Um.. I chalk it up to a potsy thing.. as I have always been this way... and I also get horrible night sweats.. had some bad ones this morning (about 6 am...) my hairy was damp with sweat.. EEEEWWWWWWWWW!

i typically sweat in the upper half of my body.. under my breast. neck and head...and hands too..

i get alot of cold hands feet and nose...and chills..

am going to bring up to Dr. g in january...when are you going to toledo? I will be there on the 14th @ 1:15...

good lcuk to you

I get low grade fevers all the time. I can tell by touching my forehead that I'm a little warm. I bought one of those electric ear thermometers, and my temperature is usually around a degree above normal. I usually just let it be, although sometimes if it really bothers me I take Tylenol and it comes back down. It seems to happen in the late afternoon or early evening. Sometimes around that time I feel really tired too. I wonder whether it is related to my digestion or blood sugar, or with my morning dose of medecine wearing off. More likely it is just another one of those strange and inexplicable POTS symptoms...

P.S. I didn't have a chance to respond to your Mayo post, but glad you had a productive trip.