Spent a day in the ER.

Well, I just spent the day in the ER. What a joy that was. I waited 2 hours to be seen. If you saw my post from yesterday, I had 2 instances of my right hand going numb - lasting 5-10 minutes.

Today, my lip started feeling funny and then felt numb (like you've just had a shot at the dentist and it has started to wear off). Then, my face felt tight. After calling my doctor, they urged me to go to the ER (I hate it when they scare you to death and you feel like you have to go). After waiting in the waiting room for 2 hours, my face felt better, but I was still left with the numb feeling from the bottom of my nose to the top of my lips.

Chest x-ray, blood work, ekg, blood sugar test. Said that I had low blood sugar and that can sometimes cause facial numbness. Beta blockers can affect blood sugar in some way.

Don't think I really believe it is low blood sugar. Anyway, I didn't have a stroke, I'm still alive and my upper lip area still feels numb.

Jennifer, I am sorry you are going through this- did the doctor refer you to a neuro? I have had similiar problems in the past with numbness (it feels like novacaine in your lips!) and possible diagnoses could be TIA or complicated migraines. I wouldn't accept "low blood sugar" without being fully investigated neurologically. Transient numbness should not be disregarded.

Carmen

I agree, those numbness episodes should be checked out by a doctor other than the ER staff--a neurologist, as Carmen suggested, is probably a good idea.

nina

Jennifer,

Sorry this is happening to you too. I am still trying to find answers. I was told it was sensory nerves-small nerves that do not show up on some of the tests I was given. I have numbness or loss of sensation everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. Does anyone know if this gets better-will feeling return? I have a few times where I feel more, but really cannot feel hot water on my legs. It started off in my face and right arm-mostly happended during spells. Let me know what the neuo tells you. JenniferTX

I hope you feel better soon and get some resolution to the numbness. There are so many things it could be. Sometimes low blood sugar will do that, meds will do that, migraine could but you would usually have other symptoms if it were migraine (although not always and we all know how "odd" our potsy bodies can act up), it could be a result of increased hormones as a result of POTS etc etc etc.

Hopefully your neurologist will be able to rule the serious things out.

Guest Finrussak

At the risk of being yelled at, again, for saying the dreaded "L" word...have you ever been examined by a LLMD??? [ Lyme Literate MD] as in tickbornes (Lyme Bartonella etc)...its VERY common for a tick infection to have been the flash point for dysautonomia and also be a direct cause for numbness etc. Blood sugar can cause numbness but it isnt selective usually...and glucogenic neuropathy ( loss of feeling in extremities, etc) is more common with HIGH blood sugar (diabetes) and doesnt occur immediately but after having diabetes for awhile.

Dysautonomic episodes of high BP and high heart rate/pulse ( often preceded by drops in BP and other POTSy things) also comes with adrenaline surges and these CAN also cause numbness...and depending upon target tissue sensitivity it can happen for example in the right arm but not the left.

When I am experiencing Lyme die-off after restarting my antibiotics parts of my face go numb...then resolve. I have been ruled out for stroke at least a dozen times in past 2 years (including the time I had total speech aphasia plus the numbness).Hope youre doing better, but leave no stone unturned.