Anyone been on a cruise with pots?

pamyla

I went on one about 20 years ago, for 10 days. I've had POTS since early childhood, and was in college and in a pretty difficult POTS cycle when I went. I used a dramamine patch for nausea and I did fine. I had a BLAST too. I did need to sleep lots; I took naps during the day, sometimes in my room and sometimes on the deck in my lounge chair by the pool (plenty of sunscreen too!). There was poolside service, so I got water often and didn't even have to get up :) gotta love that.

As with many things, you probably wont know how you'll do unless you try. ;)

Nina :)

Go for it!! Cruises are lots of fun. I too found myself needing naps, but there are lots of great nap spots on board. I didn't find that the sea sickness bothered me, there was one night that got a bit rough but I've always been a boat girl and didn't find that I had much trouble. But, that was also our last night on board and the next day it took a while for me to find my land legs!! I was running into the walls, guess most just thought I was drunk? And brushing my teeth I hit my head on the mirror, so yeah that was a bit much getting back to normal back on solid ground. But, I'd go again!! A little fun in the sun is always good medicine!

B) We just booked our cruise for this summer. Flying is out for me so this sounds like it will be great. Hope you have a wonderful time if you go. I was assured that a wheelchair would be provided for me because of walking (can't go more than 10 minutes without severe symptoms). Their handicap service is supposedly wonderful. My husband and I are looking forward to relaxing, sleeping, and eating. We probably won't go off ship unless I can ride. Let me know what you decide.

Cathy

One side note: if you have severe health problems, you should know that medical care on the ship is pretty limited. So, if you have issues that require hospitalization or ER intervention, a cruise might not be a good idea...you could be days away from a hospital. Certainly, most cruise lines have dealt with health crisises and probably have policies about such things...in all likelihood, that would be in the fine print when you sign up.

Lastly, you might want to consider purchasing trip insurance--that way, if you have a flare up of symptoms and can't go for a medical reason, you wont lose all your money.

Nina B)

I went with my family on a Disney Cruise over X-Mas this past December and I was pretty much the same as if I had been at home. My only problem was when we went on an excursion and supposedly lunch was included, but they didn't serve lunch until the bus ride back to the ship and I was expecting it at the normal time they served lunch on the ship. So just carry food and water with you if you go off the boat. I brought a lot of bottled water with me to the ship because they wanted to charge alot to purchase one. But I would go again if given the opportunity. I think I gained 5 pounds from all the food. Have fun! B)

Thanks for all the input :) Glad to hear no one seemed to have seasickness problems B) And good ideas about trip insurance, wheelchair, naps and taking food and water.

I'll let you know what we decide to do! Although my husband seems to now be leaning towards the all-inclusive resort deal B) Either way I'm looking forward to some beach time!

Wow, its good to hear that cruises might be within the realm of possibility...that sounds like fun. David and I have ben talking about it for a long time....maybe well have to conjure up some plans for this summer. Good luck on your cruise pamyla!! Or the all inclusive resort- noithing sounds bad about that either!!!

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just wanted to give you the follow-up and tell you that we booked our cruise - yeah :) We'll be hitting the S. Caribbean in about 2 months! We booked with Princess and I was happy to discover that they have this on-line list of things you can request. One of the items is a shower stool, which is nice. I'm also thinking about getting a doctor's note saying I trouble standing in lines because I understand they have a special check-in line. I can't wait for all that yummy food!

Cathy: Which cruise are you going on?