Prednisone/Cortisone

The only time I took prednisone was for an allergic reaction to antibiotics and I think I only took 1 dose of 40 mg and that was when I experienced my first episode of autonomic instability with tachycardia for almost 6 weeks. My system was obviously very sensitive to it. If it works for you though great! My sister has MS and has to take large large tapers of prednisone at times and she has sweating and some anxiety from it but for the most part she tolerates it because it helps her symptoms so much. If it helps I say go for it! <_<

Goldicedance -

Many POTS patients are prescribed Florinef (Fludrocortisone) which is actually a type of Cortisone. It is used to help the kidneys hold sodium to prevent dehydration.

If your doctor prescribes it and it has helped you in the past, GO FOR IT!

Good Luck,

Margaret

I am on cortisone every day for Addison's Disease. I got POTS after Addison's and it was the florinef that made me feel better. I was even on florinef for Addison's but I was taken off of it because it gave me hypokalemia. I was put back on it when I developed POTS and the hypokalemia never returned.

Edited by Timbo

I've been on cortisone and predinsone at various times for asthma...didn't seem to do too much for my POTS though. I had taken florinef for a long time and that REALLY helped me the most.

Women, in particular, need to be VERY careful with long term use of steroid therapies--it puts you in a higher risk group for loss of bone density (osteoporosis). I'm only 39 and already have osteopenia, the precursor to osteporosis. My docs want me on Fosamax now. I've also increased my calcium supplementation and eat more dairy on a daily basis. The fat free yogurt smoothies are my current favorite.

Nina

My dad took prednisone for seven years as an anti-rejection treatment for a kidney transplant. Although it was credited with preventing organ rejection, it made him very moody, required him to go on Fosomax (to prevent osteoporosis), and damaged his vessels and tissue to some extent. His doc told him the drug, over time, does these kinds of things. However, if you need it to function, then so be it. And you can never stop the drug suddenly -- you must be weaned off very gradually.

Hi. Not a doctor, so I'm not sure what the length of time would be. I can tell you though, that I've only been on oral steriods about 10 or 15 times, 10 days each. Also, I've had IV steriods in large doses to prevent anaphalaxis to medications needed during surgery--so that would be another 5 doses that lasted at least a few days. That was enough to cause bone density loss for me, as well as changes in my skin--became very fragile, easy to injure and took longer to heal.

Nina ;)

Guest Julia

Would steroids cause tachycardia? I was given steroids in my IV during my neck surgery, and then two more IV bags after my surgery. I woke up after my surgery with a pulse of 133 and it eventually went dwon to 110-115 about 8 hours later. It stayed that way until the day after the surgery.

Also, they had to give me insulin, as my sugar levels were high. They told me this was because of the steroids. I don't even remember recovery all. I just remember being wheeled into the ICU and told I have tachycarida. I felt whipped. To me it was a nightmare---that is why i'm afraid to have another surgery. Dr. Heffez is leaning towards doing a decompression to releive the pressure off my brain stem.

Julie :0)

Yes, I required insulin too. Not sure about the tachycardia. It's possible if you were post-operative, you were tachy simply from the stresses on your body.

Nina