Freaking out a little...

JenniferInOhio

Two times today, I've randomly looked down at my heart rate watch and one time it said 209 and then then about 15 minutes later...238. Both times, the numbers were only there for 2 seconds and then flashed back to 100-120 or somewhere around there as I was doing housework.

What could be happening for the monitor to read that high? I did not feel anything out of the ordinary. Not out of breath or heart thumping like I usually feel when I hit 120-130.

Is it a blip in my watch or could this be happening without me feeling it at all? Confused.

Hey Jennifer,

Let me preface this by saying i'm no expert in how heart watches work. I think though, that they measure heart rate by the interval of time in between two (maybe three) beats [shorter interval= faster heart rate]. If you have an ectopic beat (like a PVC), then it's possible the watch is just measuring between one sinus beat and one ectopic beat to get that really high number. I only say that because you said the number was only there for 2 seconds and then went back to normal. It would make sense because you didn't feel any sysmptoms. Anyway, those are my 2 cents for what they are worth!

Kristen

I have a Polar heart rate watch and this happens to me all the time when I am near an appliance or electrical device, such as my computer. It says in the manual that electromagntic signals can screw up the reading. For me, the screwed up reading is usually around double what my base rate is. I don't think it's cause for concern, unless you are feeling funny. If you have any doubt, though, check with your doctor.

Jenniferinohio,

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was wearing my POLARTEC watch. I was doing my usual walk around the mall, glanced down and saw a REALLY high heartbeat, twice, and thought, "oh no, I'm going to keel over or something." Two seconds later it was gone. I decided that wearing the watch and looking at it every few minutes was making me excessively nervous (because of that incident) and I haven't worn it since. I do not want to stop exercizing because a watch is freaking me out.

To answer your question, I have no idea what caused it to show an excessively high heartrate, but I suspect that my heart had done one of its "skips" (I don't know the technical term for them).

In a way, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Hi,

I have that happened to. It's worst when I am in the car. I checked my HR manually and it was more 120 than 210.

Now the band is not working and the watch is still freaking out so there is something sending the message to the watch. I think it is something magnetic.

Have you had a 24-hour holter monitor? Or an event recorder? Perhaps those tests would set your mind at ease? Does your doctor want you to use a heart rate watch for some reason? I decided on my own to try one and it tended to make me more anxious than to really help me with anything. I agree that they can also easily malfunction or may be recording some transient ectopic beats that you don't need to be concerned about. Bottom line, if you are uneasy about your heart rate and rhythm it makes sense to talk to your doctor as there are tests that could be done by an EP to set your mind at ease; or find the problem if there is one--hopefully there is not.

Take care, Katherine

I'd bet nothing on the earth works properly and artifact of one type or another will mess with the count. When I worked on a cardiac floor we would freak out the monitor watcher by wiggling the wires just right so it looked like vtach. We were so mean :) but my point is, any monitor type device will get artifact occasionally and if you can't see what's going on except a high pulse, it can throw you off. I could never have a heart rate of 200 and not feel it. I don't think I'd get one of those watches, because it can be like the bp cuffs, you can get a little obssessed with stuff. I basically go with how I feel, not with what a machine tells me. Trust your instincts and how you feel...knowitallmorgan :)