Where to put abdominal binder?

dkd

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a stupid question but where do you place your abdominal binder? Do you wear it below, at or above your belly button? I don't know if it should be higher or lower on the abdomen?? Close to the hip bones or more toward your ribs?

Thanks

Hmm, I think lower would be better. You are trying to keep the blood from pooling in the lower abdomen.

I had a look at one of the studies on this, but it doesn’t give much detail on exactly where the compression was placed.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109720379079?via%3Dihub

(Off topic: I like how these look like overgrown swim floaties!)

It does say “waist-high compression”, so having the binder at the waist and below corresponds to that. But some binders might be designed to centre on the waist so I guess it depends on the design.

Have you bought one already?

I used a tube bandage that was quite adjustable and had it from buttocks up to waist. So it was like a very short tight mini skirt that I wore under a dress or skirt.

Thanks everyone. I actually own 3 and I'm trying to figure out which one would be the most beneficial.

One goes from top of hip bones to ribs (6.25 inches). It's a little uncomfortable because it sticks into my ribs.

One is shorter and goes from hip bones to just over my belly button, not all the way to the ribs.

And the most recent the Dr recommended is actually a lower back brace but covers the mid to lower abdomen also (it's the 3 belt adjustable kind).

I guess I just need to figure out which one I will actually wear!

I was mainly wondering if it needed to be higher or was wearing it lower okay.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, dkd said:

Thanks everyone. I actually own 3 and I'm trying to figure out which one would be the most beneficial.

One goes from top of hip bones to ribs (6.25 inches). It's a little uncomfortable because it sticks into my ribs.

One is shorter and goes from hip bones to just over my belly button, not all the way to the ribs.

And the most recent the Dr recommended is actually a lower back brace but covers the mid to lower abdomen also (it's the 3 belt adjustable kind).

I guess I just need to figure out which one I will actually wear!

I was mainly wondering if it needed to be higher or was wearing it lower okay.

Thanks again!

I might layer them! I found that the back brace kind didn’t help much. I couldn’t get it tight enough. The "postpartum" abdominal binder is stiffer and stays in place better. I’m short, so I can’t deal with the ones that dig into my ribs, which is not uncommon. 

2 hours ago, dkd said:

i would try one of these on. I have read of other folks using them. for me the standard binder just does not fit my build so it either feels awkward or does not compress enough.

I’ve tried a lot of different binders and the ones that worked best were “panty girdle” types that either had hooks and eyes or zippers allowing you to get them quite tight. Anything that you can pull over your hips is probably not tight enough.

5 hours ago, Sushi said:

I’ve tried a lot of different binders and the ones that worked best were “panty girdle” types that either had hooks and eyes or zippers allowing you to get them quite tight. Anything that you can pull over your hips is probably not tight enough.

are boys allowed to wear these?