I need to focus...maybe a pipe dream, but

MightyMouse

Okay, so most of you know that I've had a pretty cruddy run of health issues the past month or three... I am far from out of the woods, but you know what, I can't let this beat me mentally.

Today, I've decided that I need to work on getting better. That includes my mental outlook, continuing to get enough sleep and continuing to eat well. It also means I need to be more diligent about exercising, even if it's just a little teensy bit a day. A walk around the block... a walk just down to the end of my block if I have to (about 300 yards), 3 minutes on my recumbent, etc. Right before I feel in this pit, I had started so well with alternating Pilates and the bick, but I wasn't consistent. I've said before, so some of you may remember, running was my thing. It's the form of exercise I could stick with long term. Everything else seems to fall away.

So, here's my very very long term goal. I want to be able to run 3 miles... or run/walk combo if I have to. Teri made me an appointment with a spine and joint doctor which will be in a few weeks. At this point, I figure "what more damage could I do?" I've already got multiple spinal hernations. I already have a very active job where I can't realisticly NOT lift more than 20 lbs (do you know many 20 lb kindergartners??? age 5 to 6? I don't think so) In the mean time. My knees are what they are. I'll stick with the low impact until my chat with the doc to see what is reasonable for me, and what is out of the question, as well as pick his brain for some pain control ideas. Long term oxycontin is not my idea of a solution, but I'll keep it as long as I need to.

My brother in law is a physical therapist, so I will also be asking him for a joint stabilization routine. I had a few exercises from my PT earlier this year, but that was a waste of time b/c they wouldn't let me get off the table or sit up. I got better stabilization just from using my Pilates machine at home.

I know some ...er most... of you are probably thinking I'm a bit nuts. Well, you're probably right, but it's served me well so far in my life, so here's to hoping for anohter lofty dream coming true. (one was having my own home....got that :wub:, another was to work for a major university and to some college teaching... did that :blink: ... another was to travel to Europe... did that too :o ).

T and I have a wedding to go to in late October. By then, I want to have rebuilt up the stamina to enjoy the event. I also want to lose a little more weight (I've lost 8 lbs since the Summer) so I can squeeze into a dress I LOVE that I've had for more than a year--and look good in the dress rather than an overstuffed bright red sausage with feet and a head.

Love to you all. I'm starting to feel more myself mentally, even if my body is still not playing along yet. Thanks for bearing with me all these weeks.

Nina

Nina you go girl!!! I think that it is good to set goals... but PLEASE!!! try not to over do it.. I know easier said then done..

just take it slow... and remeber that we are all rooting for you!!

:wub:

Nina, you so made me laugh with the sausage!!! Trying to keep smiling (mentally I mean) helps so much!!! although i've been having a rough time lately, being able to laugh is the best med there is. Keep on going, but of course, be fair to yourself and don't ask tooooooo much from a POTSy body!!!! love back to you,

corina :rolleyes::lol:

Hi Nina - No one here thinks your nuts at all for having goals!

I am a BIG believer that Physical health follows right behind Mental and spiritual health. I have seen it happen time and time again.

Good luck and glad that you are on the mend a bit :rolleyes:

I'm rootin for you MM!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Just take one step at a time, make a plan for how you will handle the days when you don't feel so good and do the best you can each day.

I hope you start feeling better physically very soon, meanwhile I'm glad your spirits are lifted right now and you are able to make these goals for yourself.

After all, it's hard to accomplish a goal if you don't know where you're headed and even if you aren't able to accomplish all you want to FOR NOW, you know you are doing your best and you will EVENTUALLY accomplish your goals!

Good luck Nina,

It's so great that your not giving into the bad spell you have been having lately. Actually, exercise will help with your spinal problems as long as your careful and under a doctors supervision---and I know you will be.

Your setting goals to feel better, and that already tells me that you won't let this lick you mentally............... :rolleyes:

Good luck to you again................... :lol: ..........wishing you the best.

Julie :0)

ah... the best laid plans of mice and men ... do often go astray ...

I sprained my left ankle last night and am in an aircast. Add that to the broken toe on the right foot and I'm pretty hobbled for now.

No running or even fast walking for me in the near future... so for now, I have to resort to dreaming about running. As I fall asleep the past few nights, I picture myself running with Teri with me, right across the finish line. B) At least my body, in my mind's eye, is in perfect shape.

Nina

NINA!!!! what on earth are we going to do with you???

i was just pulling up this thread as i realized that i'd never replied & you beat me to it with your update. aw, man...i don't know what to say.

other than that, while it may be delayed a bit, i still say - with a bit of being smart combined with that being nuts part - go for the dream. it may be slower & may end up as that "reach for the sun & you may become a star" quote of sorts, but it's great to have the goal out there, ya know? as long as you don't let it get you down too much when life's wrinkles get in the way (namely your toes & ankles as of late!) the being a bit nuts thing can have it's benefits & drawbacks, but like you said it has served you well thus far, so what the hey? you're not alone with that one....

i hope you're feeling better soon...other than your lower extremities, are you feeling a bit better than you have been?

keep on hangin in there....i'm doing some virtual triathlons myself as that's my pipe dream (to be able to do a triathlon again)...

B) melissa

p.s. there has been some hoopla on the news about cleveland clinic doing face transplants....maybe we should look into body transplants??

Well, what can say but Whoo Hoo on the postive thoughts and actions you were taking to get back on track, and Boo Hoo on your ankle, that puts a damper on things. Using crutches? Maybe be the first one to cross a finish line on crutches? lol

Don't let it get you down, use the time now to really get your plan(s) in action. How long in the cast?

my my Nina!! you have been having a crappy run of icky stuff lately!

I am sos sorry that your ankle is now in an air cast! that realy bites!

I will be waiting at the finish line when you get there with water and gatorade!! I have faith that you'll make it no matter what.. and no mattter how long it takes you to do it!!

Hugs

Linda

Mighty Mouse,

Well....how 'bout training to run a marathon on your hands? :)

Now that I think about it...don't try it; with the luck you've had lately you might not want to push it that far.

You know I'm teasing you! Seriously, I'm bummed out for you that this happened but keep the dream alive and keep running your dream through your head. Visualization is good and is a true gift we have and often under-utilize.

Hope you will get to feeling much better soon.

Nina...you are too much! Spraing an ankle at the beginning of your enthusastic plan--why would you think about a high impact exercise like running. Why now arm exercise doing knitting or cross stitching--just something to keep your mnd and body going but in a relaxful way. You might enjoy the book, The Knitting Mantra, about a woman who has broken her leg and ankle and began to engage herself in knitting as a source of relaxation, pleasure and accomplishment.

Hope your ankle is feeling better! Don't overdue it!

Just some advice from a couch potato!

Lois

Thanks everyone for making me smile today :D

I'm sore and exhausted and way nauseaous (my gastroparesis is busy slowing my guts to a crawl). I'm about to take a quick nap before dinner, and dream of running a marathon. While I'm at it, I'll make myself about 20 lbs thinner and 10 years younger...

ah, behold the power of dreams ... or is that cheese??? (if you don't live in the u.s., sorry if I'm confusing you with a television comercial reference to cheese).

Nina