MVPS with normal tests?

Radha

i was reading about mitral valve prolapse syndrome and i have so many of the symptoms, but when i had an ekg and echo few years ago, it was all normal, so was wondering can you still have MVPS with normal results? thanks for any input,

radha

I seem to get it diagnosed "now and then" mine appears to be borderline. Have you ever had a stress echo? That's where mine showed up.

My understanding is the the diagnosis of MVP is pretty cut and dry. You ether have the "billowing" leafet on your heart or you don't. The sxs attributed to what many doctors consider to be MVPS (mitral valve prolapse syndrome) are subjective but MVP (mitral valve prolapse) itself is pretty objective.

Carmen

The symptoms have nothing to do with the billowing of the valve but from the dysautonomia that seems to accompany it. There are people who have MVP but no symptoms and others do not have MVP but have symptoms and then there are those in between. I have borderline MVP on echo and my dr. can hear the click and a little murmur and I am considered having it but I have most all of the symptoms of the dysautonomia that seems to go along with it. The prolapse is like a marker of some sorts. Many who have it have the symptoms of dysautonomia also. So I would say you can have the syndrome which is dysautonomia without showing the prolapse. Sometimes it does not show depending upon how hydrated a person is or if they are on beta blockers etc. That is what I have been told by my cardio. Most of the self help as well as meds for MVPS are the same or similiar to POTS like fluids, beta blockers etc.

I completely agree with Mom4cem. I had several cardiologists that never detected my MVP. (I do have mild MVP and get frequent arrythmias.) A doctor in Birmingham dx'd it and then it was confirmed by a cardio at Mayo. The cardio at Mayo said unless the MVP is very pronounced then it can be more difficult to detect on some days. For example, if you're really well hydrated that day, they may not detect it, especially if they are just listening through a stethoscope. Different positions, lying down, vs. sitting up affect the valve as well. Hope this helps.

Gena

I had an echo and the tech showed me my prolapse, however, on my report it was never even mentioned, just regurge. So some of the doctors that interpret echos do not consider mitral valve prolapse worth noting. This is from the horses mouth. So you may have it, but not have an interpreting doc that notes it.

I have discovered recently that the lines between normal and abnormal can be very blurred to suit what the doctor wants. I'm not even sure why they have parameters at this point, when, if they don't like what they see, it's not abnormal enough to really be abnormal. Does that make sense? huh?morgan

I agree with Gena. I have MVP with Dysautonomia. I have learned that the severity of dehydration has alot to do with the affect of MVP. To my understanding, when the body is dehydrated the heart is slightly smaller but the valves stay the same size affecting their work. When the body is well hydrated the valves work more efficiently. So it may be possible that you were well hydrated during your test. I feel that this is why it is so important to keep hydrated at all times so you can be less symtomatic. You should ask your doctor about this.

Take care,

KathyP :P