anti depressant

gertie

@gertie I was prescribed Lexapro 10 mg for HPOTS many years ago and have never had a problem with it. It has helped me become less "hyper" during my surges but at the same time has balanced out the low energy periods. I became depressed for a while when I first became disabled and increased the dose to 20 mg but that was WAY too much, and it caused me some mental discomfort. Going back to the 10 mg fixed that. But I agree with what others have said: SSRI's are potent drugs that may or may not be beneficial to you, but you will never know without trying. 

I tried Lexapro years ago, before I was diagnosed (but I’m very confident I did have dysautonomia at the time, given the symptoms). I can’t say for certain because it was so long ago, but I don’t think it negatively affected my dysautonomia symptoms. That said, like so many of you have mentioned, I was VERY sensitive to it. I think I started on the lowest standard adult dosage and it still caused a pretty strong shift in my mood for the first few weeks (impulsive, couldn’t focus, out of character behavior). I also started to deal with visual disturbances while taking it (specifically visual trails/palinopsia and afterimages), but I can’t say if that was in any way connected. For myself, I wish I’d started on a smaller than usual dose of it and been careful about any dosage increase, just because of that sensitivity and my history of strong/eccentric reactions. I know everyone’s very unique in what they need and how they react though. 
I definitely hear you, it’s tough when you want to try something that may help but are also facing the risk of a worsening. I really hope you find the answer that’s best for you!