BP Drop After Eating

MikeO

It's normal for my HR to rise about 10-20 BPM after meals-  I assume your BP falls for the same kind of reason.  I think it's due to blood pooling in your stomach to aid digestion - it reduces the amount of blood in circulation.  An abdominal binder may help - I found it increased my nausea and indigestion but you might be different

My blood pressure drops after eating (the body is busy digesting) and I get real sleepy. I eat smaller, more frequent meals, or just have a smoothie in lieu of solid food if I need to skip an inconvenient bp drop. I always follow meals with a cup of coffee. 

There are tons of blood vessels in the stomach and they draw a lot of blood into the stomach area when digesting food (my mom is a GI nurse and has explained this) so for me personally, I lose a lot of cerebral blood flow after eating the wrong things or too much. I have to avoid carbs, anything heavy, and eat very small meals/"snacks". 

12 minutes ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

avoid carbs, anything heavy, and eat very small meals/"snacks". 

I knew carbs like spaghetti gets to me so i do avoid it. Usually i feel nauseous, overly full and generally Ill. If it gets bad i will get hot and start to sweat "I now know it is not male menopause lol" If I do get off my feet for a bit i will run into trouble with low BP for sure. Guess there is more stuff i need to work out.   

I have postprandial hypotension I find drinking water (often with a teaspoon of himalayian salt in it ) before eating helps, I also graze all day especially when I’m working or I’m useless ! Like others I avoid carbs and I drink coffee but only instant as too much ground coffee has adverse effects on me .

I know if I have eaten too much as my stomach swells and is huge . 

2 hours ago, dancer65 said:

I know if I have eaten too much as my stomach swells and is huge . 

Not sure what the worst symptom is but eating has not been friendly. Starting to think that trying to get along with it is the route to take and find what works even though if i find a food that was ok one day may not work the next time "frustrating" 

I find if my bp is low already eating just causes it to drop more . I find on those days yogurt and fruit works well or  smoothies with coconut milk . The problem is because low bp makes me fatigued I have to fight the cravings for carbs and chocolate ! It can be frustrating when you are trying hard to help yourself 

@MikeOYes, this will especially be the case if you eat a meal too large, too much carbohydrates (blood sugar/insulin effects on the brain), or too much fat/protein (take longer to digest). If you get sleepy after a meal that is generally a good sign you are eating too many carbs as the sleepiness is coming from GABA and serotonin in the brain. I find I always feel worse when this happens

On 8/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, MikeO said:

@dancer65I will give yogurt a try. Thanks!

I eat yogurts you can get light ones too and it's quick and easy, not heavy and helps hunger and probiotics. I have cheese sticks, nuts. Tonight I had a black bean burger without any bread and half sweet potato which is my favorite. I love fruit but it but burns my bladder though oddly I can handle a mango every now and then. I guess it's trial and error. But I second yogurts. 

I do not tolerate a lot of food at once so when I get hungry I like to "fill" up with things like yoghurt or an egg - they make me feel like I just got off the thanksgiving table but without all the negative side effects!