Has anyone here had broken heart syndrome?

@racingheart77Are you talking about Takosubo syndrome? I teach/taught about this in regard to grief. It is a documented form of cardiomyopathy. I have not heard about this for POTS patients in general. This may be a trigger for anyone experiencing loss but I will provide an example. My friend lost her newborn son. She knew he had a lethal condition before he was born. After his death she had chest pain and her arms hurt for months. She had Takosubo syndrome. One day they were planting a tree for him and her dad handed her the pot with the tree. It weighed about 8 lbs. Suddenly her arm and chest pain went away. She was literally aching for him. She created a program called the Comfort Cub which are weighted bears that moms could hold and take home so their arms aren’t empty when they leave the hospital. They are now used for all kinds of grief and trauma. So Takosubo is a very real manifestation of grief. 

Edited by CJ65

• 2 years later...

@CJ65, as someone who speaks a little Japanese, may I point out that it is “takotsubo”. It refers to the shape of a fishing pot, which the researcher who characterised the condition thought the change to the heart resembled.

When learning Japanese, I found that mistaking even one syllable, like “su” instead of “tsu”, inevitably led to me accidentally saying something rude!

• 3 weeks later...

I suddenly had the worst flare ever. I could hardly move or walk. I had to be seen to schedule a tooth removal and the nurse had to hold on to me because I was so dizzy and pre syncope I couldn’t walk alone. When I got home I started going through the forums trying to figure out why my reaction to pre dental visit was so bad. Then I came across this. I know I had broken heart syndrome because I had said my heart was broken when my 15 years cat suddenly died. With in two weeks I could hardly walk to shop and was experiencing beginning migraine head pressure, moments of seconds loss of consciousness, just catching my head going down in time to recover. I’ve never had this bad of a flare and I’m scared.

22 hours ago, Jeanee H said:

I’ve never had this bad of a flare and I’m scared.

So sorry you are feeling poorly.  And so sorry for your loss.  For me flares typically come on suddenly.  Can you see your doctor? 

When I am in a flare I increase fluids and salt greatly, as well as potassium rich foods.  IV fluids can help a lot to at least allow me to stand up and walk without dizziness.

Thanks for your input. The dizzy debilitated days came on suddenly. I think the tooth thing pushed my stress over the edge. It’s been three days and finally I can stand on my own. I have a salty diet that I do when getting dizzy and I recently got control of severe ibs D with a two month Fodmap low sugars, all sugars, diet. That’s been a great relief.
      I’ve had a weird positional rapid heart beat for twenty years. It happens when I bend down then straighten up, but only lasts a few minutes. All serious heart stress tests show my heart strong and normal except a slight MVP that has not worsened over the years. I was treated for Hashimotos 30 years ago with Naturethroid. When I took it for a few days my body seemed to start recognizing my own hormones. Once in awhile I’d get the chills again and Naturethroid would work.  When I retired and moved to the country I lost contact with the doctors that had been treating me. I also lost my own medical record hard copies from roof damage in a hurricane. I truly learned the hard way that having doctors older than myself retire and not putting my records in water proof storage containers was a big mistake. I’m now going through testing again and subjected  to what I call being experimented on. I’m extremely chemically sensitive but haven’t found a new doctor who gets this. This makes any doctor visit tremendously stressful. I have a prescription epi pen from anaphylactic shock episodes I was hospitalized for so those records are helping me. I’m not against vaccines but I’m un COVID19 vaccinated because I’m afraid. This is the next big thing I have to figure out. Thanks again,Jeanee

5 hours ago, Jeanee H said:

I’ve had a weird positional rapid heart beat for twenty years. It happens when I bend down then straighten up, but only lasts a few minutes. All serious heart stress tests show my heart strong and normal except a slight MVP that has not worsened over the years. I was treated for Hashimotos 

Interesting.  This can happen to me too (bending over can trigger a rapid heartbeat or palpitations--or any rapid change in position).  I've always chalked it up to POTS (or a highly sensitive vagus nerve response?) since I also have had a variety of testing and see a cardiologist annually and he is unconcerned by the symptom.  I also have Hashimotos.  I've had it for over 20 years.  I take synthroid daily.  I have not heard of a one time treatment.  I do wonder sometimes if synthroid exaccerbates palpitations for me, but my TSH is always in the normal range when tested.

Do you have nerve problems from b12 deficiency? I am normal b12 in last test but I know I was low a few years ago. I developed feeling of deep pin pricks randomly on the skin of my arms and legs mostly. Maybe just a dozen spots at a time and it goes away when touched. I’m not diabetic. I also took Prozac occasionally to get through things like divorce but it affected my sense of taste and I love to cook.
            I need high b Vits to deal with stress and I have to take digestive enzymes when I eat. I take five grams of L glutamine in water when I first get up five days a week. It totally heals intestinal tract lining! I also use high grade bentonite liquid in water for any upset., instead of colorful medication. It’s mechanical. Not absorbed. It carries out bad bacteria that you can replace with good probiotics. IBS- D AND C. Can be healed and controlled. Fodmap diet worked too!.

I’m still using a cane for balance but i was able to dip water my garden from rain barrels today. Planning on planting a fragrant lavender tea rose in memory of Para our kitty named for the Holy Spirit in Greek. ✌️🍀