Trouble Typing

corina

To complete my medical file which I'm working on, I have a question which I wanted to ask before but (of course :) ) forgot. I was wondering if any of you have trouble typing. My trouble is that I can type all letters/characters but they're often out of order. That's what's making typing so difficult (and time consuming) for me because I have to correct every sentence. This is something I've had for the last years. I learned to type blind (okay, that was ages ago :P ) and I thought everybody had the same problem as I have with the letters but my fellow secretary (that was ages ago too!) found it strange and typically me. Do you think it could be a cognitive problem or somehow dysautonomia related? I do have more cognitive trouble whcih was confirmed by the neuropsychological test.

If it could be related I want to add it to my file.

Thanks for thinking along with me!

Corina

Hi corina..

well.. i was in schoool.. and I had to take many many typing classes..(i was going to school to be a medical secretary)..

well anyways.. i had a very hard time rememebering which keys were which.. and constantly had to "look" which is a big NO NO!

Part of the reason I stopped going to school was because I could no concentrate worth a hill of bean.. and I could not remmeber simple things...I had to leave class early more then one occasion.. because i got ill sitting in front of the screen.. and having to concentrate on all those little letter in my book.. stress me out!

the dean at my school.. told me to type with my eyes closed... well I tried that.. but I would for get the sentenece that i just read to type!

anyways I just wanted to add a "me too!" on that crazy typing bussiness!

good luck corina!

Hi Corina, I definitely have the same problem. Typing is a huge issue. I often find that I leave the endings off of words, leave out words or type completely different words than what I was thinking. Spelling, which I have never had trouble with is now a huge issue. Proofreading has also become very difficult. Thank God for spell check. If I write it out by hand I don't seem to have the same issues although my handwriting has become pretty illegible. Math skills have become non existent. Especially anything I need to add in my head etc. Vocabulary has seen a huge decrease. It's very frustrating because I feel like an idiot half of the time. The docs don't find that it's a problem, I guess my low functioning ability is still higher than many of the people they see.

I have more trouble typing, too. I always re-check my work at least 3 times and still mistakes get through! :P:)B) It was never like this before POTS.

Pre-mestinon, I had a lot of trouble carrying on conversations. The words would get jumbled up (i could actually see all the syllables floating around in my head like little dandelion fluffs :angry::) ) or completely evaporate before I could process them. I felt like it was one of those "bop the gopher" arcade games -- try to get the word figured out before it disappears! :blink: It's not nearly as bad now on meds. Did/do any of you have trouble with this, too?

Angela

Guest Julia59

Corina,

It takes so long for me to post due to the same problem. I was never a fast typist, but when computers came along I learned to type faster, and also the instant message was a good way to build my speed.

Reversing letters or incomplete words have been an issue that is becoming increasing worse lately. I get so mad if I take all that time to type and then it get's erased---------- :)

When I worked as an office mgr. most of my work on the computer was done with the mouse. I handled payroll, accts. payable, accessed Accts. receivable, the service dept. and human resources------it was all a software program---called IPC. It was a very easy program. Once in a while I had to type letters/memo's ect.---I really didn't have a problem with that. I would never be able to do transcription or anything that required speed and accuracy.

If I want something typed fast----I'll have my husband type it for me--- :P

I have noticed getting worse---especially in the last few months.

Julie :0)

yes... i wanted to add.. that I too have a tendenacy to forget to type in whole words or sentences.. or even paragraphs!

one morning in keyboarding (theres half the problem it was AM!) anyways i was trying to do a skilled speed typing 5 minute drill.. we had to have 2 errors or less..

well I kept doing it over and over again.. i couldnt figure out why I was flunking the whole assignement that day..

I was having a major POTSY brain fog.. and I could coordinate the skill of looking from the book to the screen.. I would loose my place.. not realize it and start typing from another point.. my teacher kindly pointed out that I left out whole paragraphs.. gotta love those brain fogs.. and inability to think clearly.. :)

does cognitive impairments with pots ever gets any beter? or do they tend to stay the same or get worse??

okay, angela, that dandelion analogy was so great! :(

corina, in answer to your question! YES! big problem for me. although, i may not even need to tell you this? as you have read my posts for yourself? and you have seen how ridiculous they are when i am tired? :D

anyway, i leave words out, mis-spell words, mis-type things all of the time. it drives me nuts. i go back and read things later sometimes and think, what in the world? when i am typing it, it seems just fine! :D

and believe it or not, i do have a brain! which you would never know from my posts! so, yes, i think that POTS really affects cognitive function...my POTS doc has discussed this with me before. he said to me, so how much can you read and remember? a paragraph maybe? :) eeeek!

anyway, i also had a lot of psych testing done...early on to see about 'career options' (ha! not an issue right now!)...i had an IQ test done and as the test went on and i got more and more tired i began to do worse and worse on the activities. this dropped my score big-time. at the time it was really hard to take, b/c my score was so low compared to what it had been growing up when i took the test.

i don't know if any of this helps...i hope so...but, yes, i am someone who really has no problems with spelling or writing...but since POTS, i have a much harder time getting stuff out on the computer...just like you said! it's a good thing i'm not writing papers for school anymore!

good luck corina!

let us know if you need anything more!

emily

Thanks for helping me out guys, you really are the best.

You so made me laugh Angela with the bop the gopher arcade games. I really needed that

Emily, I do know you have a brain, a very sweet one.

I've put the typing stuff (and spelling trouble) in my file and now I'm all preapred. It's just that I can't sleep so I'll look awful tomorrow. Well, maybe that's for the best :D . Last time I saw an SSDI doctor she asked me if I had gone on vacation because my skin looked so brown. And I said: no, that's just the Dutch sun which immediately made her suspect me from laying in the sun and enjoying my time at home, not working and still getting money. I'm very nervous because we're talking about a lot of money but there won't be a winner: when they tell me I can work I'll loose the money, and when they tell me I can't work I'll keep the money but will feel terrible because I can't work. I'll let you know how it went.

And thanks again for helping me!

Peace (as Merril would say)

Corina

does cognitive impairments with pots ever gets any beter? or do they tend to stay the same or get worse??

For me it has gotten better, however i have always been a bit dyslexic (sp? ... yeh great one ... cant even spell the label lol) and since i got sick it became alot worse. I find writting is the worst for me. I write words all jumbled up and its really messy. I type in exams and it helps me alot.

So yes cognitive impairment can get better.. im not sure if it 'goes away' though.

lets hope it does :D ... maybe when i get better i will no longer have dyslexia haha

cog symptoms go away? i wish.

as to trouble typing, has anyone, besides me, used the Dragon Naturally Speaking Program(that is what it is called here in the US). you talk and it types. it took some getting used to and when i can't talk i have some trouble with it, but i can work with it for a long time. they even have programs for differnet professions.

i try to type just to keep my fingers going, but... :rolleyes:

take care,

blackwolf

Blackwolf, glad to hear from you again.

No I didn't use the program, when I can't type I just don't (or try not to!), but thanks for the suggestion, maybe I can use it later.

Hope you're doing okay blackwolf. How are you doing with your new walking thing?(sorry forgot the name!)

Corina

thanks corina,

it is just a fancy walker. it has 4 wheels, a seat that folds up and down and hand brakes that i can use when going down hills and locks for when i need to sit down. it is just wide enough for me to sit down but comfortable to use when i need it and so nice to have. it can fold up, sides come in and it has a basket i can use for my purse. i am even thinking of adding some elasstic that i can use to keep a water bottle in place. still working on it.

good luck on the typing, i would say do as much as you can so you don't lose the ability.

my prayers,

blackwolf