Are laxatives safe for us?

Derek1987

13 minutes ago, Derek1987 said:

I have hyper pots and i really need a laxative. I believe my xanax is making it hard for me to go. Before the xanax, 0 problems. Ive had a few fainting incidents and im not sure if a laxative could mess me up somehow.  Thoughts and experiences?

It depends on what is going on with your digestive system.  It  might work for some people but not others.  Ask your doctor who prescribed the xanax.

Guest KiminOrlando

My opion is to try a stool softener like colace first. You might also need to add something like Miralax every couple of days. That is what I do. My opinion is that it is better than a laxative because it puts your body through less, but they don't work as fast. You will have to stay on these things, maybe mostly Miralax, to keep things moving. I would temporarily try that, but bring it up to your doctor.  I think a traditional laxative can throw off electrolytes. 

I agree with the others. Colace works well and adding fiber to your diet ( or via supplements ) aids in regular movement. While I believe that laxatives per-se are not really contraindicated with POTS - the resulting diarrhea may trigger symptoms.