NSVT

MissMermaid

I just had the most odd arrhythmia just laying in bed doing absolutely nothing.

A pvc usually feels to me like a slight jerking or flutter, a pause and then a big beat and then back to normal. 

I felt the usual jerking in my chest but it wasn’t over in a second so I was able to check my pulse in time and it was quite fast. Maybe 8 fast beats while it felt in my chest like it was fluttering, a pause, the big beat and then back to normal. Was over in about ten seconds.

I’ve had this before a few years ago but describing it to my cardiologist didn’t garner much concern at all. 

Does this sound like nsvt? I’m scared! Concerned I will drop dead at even given moment now. I will be contacting my cardiologist on Monday for sure.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with your specific issue, but I certainly feel your pain (both physical and mental). The feelings inside my chest constantly have me wondering whether I now need to be in the emergency room and they're just so difficult to describe to my cardiologist as well.  Just when you think you might have the pattern down and it's probably not dangerous despite how terrible it feels (though even that's so hard to believe - nobody can possibly consistently feel like this and have it be okay), something weird will happen that has a lasting negative mental effect. 

Best wishes. Hope you get a positive answer and some relief very quickly. 

@MissMermaid - I had similar sensations in the past and my doc ordered holter monitors for it. In general it is always a good idea to describe any symptoms other than the palpitations to your doc as well. i.e. lightheadedness or weakness or chest pain etc you may experience in addition to the fluttering. Personally if it continues or worsens - or even returns - I would probably see a physician sooner.

55 minutes ago, MissMermaid said:

Does this sound like nsvt? I’m scared! Concerned I will drop dead at even given moment now. I will be contacting my cardiologist on Monday for sure.

There are so many different types of arrhythmias that you would need an EKG strip to know what it is. I have a Kardia that will take one and then I just email it to my EP. I have Afib but also get PACs sometimes and it is nearly impossible to tell by the feel of it what type of arrhythmia it is. Maybe your cardiologist will have you wear a monitor for a few weeks to try to capture it. The good news is that most are atrial and not dangerous.

@MTRJ75 Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it and am so sorry to hear you suffer through the same thing. It causes so much anxiety. I’ve had the echos, holters  and stress test and everything looks normal so I try not to worry when I have the pvcs and pacs. Now I’m worried it may have turned into something else. 

@Pistol Thank you. I need to see my doctor soon and will definitely bring it up. I had no other symptoms with it at all. Just felt weird. I hope it just doesn’t come back.

10 hours ago, MissMermaid said:

I know I panicked prematurely haha.

I don't think you overreacted. These arrhythmias are scary and NEED to be taken seriously b/c unless they can catch them they can't tell if they are harmless. That is the problem with cardiac monitors - unless it happens while you are wearing one they cannot tell what it is. I had an implanted loop recorder for 3 years and it caught atrial flutter - but I did not even know I had it! 

@MissMermaid I get exactly what you described, and it often feels like it's around 8 beats or so when it happens to me, too. The last episode I had (which was around a month ago, now) was very scary. 

We've never caught it on a heart monitor which is frustrating, but when it happens, it sure is quite intense. I believe mine are non sustained v-tach, but they may also be ectopic beats from the atrium. It's rather difficult to know for certain without a monitor recording it.

As @Pistol mentioned, a loop recorder is a good idea! I plan to discuss getting one with my cardiologist in the new year. 

All the very best! 

@Scout thank you for reply and I am so sorry you have to deal with this too. It is so unpleasant. My heart symptoms are the most terrifying. 

Because of my history of normal heart tests, ectopics and the fact that this episode did not make me feel breathless or dizzy, my doctor was very uninterested or concerned by it. I will try and make an appointment with my cardiologist regardless. I did try on Monday but they were full up and asked me to get a referral from my doctor which she didn’t think necessary to give me. 

I hope you are well x