Is there a cycle or a missing link?

DSM3KIDZ

Hello everyone. I still feel like there is a missing link in my illness. For all of us I just feel that people shouldn't have to live this way, that there has got to be SOMETHING that can be done medically. I just had to vent that.

I started a journal 3 months ago and looked back on it. Every month I'm real sick from 4th - 13th. Than I start feeling better and am real good the rest of the month. Why is there a pattern or cycle? Does anyone else experience this? I know hormonal adds alittle to it but I'm no longer on b/c so my periods are way different every month-so that's no longer the answer.

I just feel that during this time my body is lacking something either chemically or hormonally. How would I find this out? I asked to see an endo thinking it could be adrenals or something but my doc said that's not necessary.

I have NO triggers so I can't avoid being sick during this time. My family asked if it's anxiety knowing I might be sick in the beginning of the month. That's not it because I never realized it until I got sick again this month and am currently extremely struggling to care for my cuties AGAIN.

If anyone could shed some light on this situation or tell me if there is a pattern to your illness I won't feel so psychotic. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I guess since I've been hearing "your sick AGAIN" alot lately I just feel that theirs got to be a way thatb I could control this.

I just started mestonin last month and it helped during my good days but don't do squat during the bad.

Any imput ?

Dayna

Wow, very interesting Dayna. I wonder if anyone will have any ideas about this? It makes me want to journal my good and bad days and see if there's any cycle. I can never figure out why I suddenly have a good day or several in a row, and then boom, back down. I've tried hard, journaled foods etc but still can't figure out triggers.

Thanks for sharing.

~Roselover

Wow, very interesting Dayna. I wonder if anyone will have any ideas about this? It makes me want to journal my good and bad days and see if there's any cycle. I can never figure out why I suddenly have a good day or several in a row, and then boom, back down. I've tried hard, journaled foods etc but still can't figure out triggers.

Thanks for sharing.

~Roselover

Hi Dayna, i'm Catherine. Mine falls into a pattern as well. I have 3 bad weeks and one good week. My pattern has been that way for about 3 years now. I believe it to be related to estrogen levels changing in the body from menstruation.

I'm asking my doctors to stop my cycle(no hysterectomy) to see if the symptoms aren't as bad. Foods are a big culprit, but when it's routine like this, it's looking to be hormonal related. They need to check your estrogen levels when your down, when your feeling good, and on the way down....so they can see the progression.

Good luck, we both need it!

Hi Catherine.... I have tried to get the doctors to look at the hormonal side of this and they constantly blow it off. I finally got on e doctor to check my levels and they were fine so she said their was no need for furthur testing and ended it like that. I was on b/c for a few months and I still had tis pattern. When I was on b/c it was around the time I should be ovulating but wasn't so I don't know if it's hormonal like female hormones or hormonal like endocrine?

Thanks for the imput

Dayna

Hey Dayna,

I have definitely noticed that I pass out around ovulation and before/during my period. Not sure if that's any comfort to you since you said you don't think it's related to your period, but the hormones may be shifting anyway.

I'm curious how much luck people here have had with stopping menstruation via drugs. Anyone tried it as a treatment? Does it help POTS symptoms? My doctor was not keen on trying it with me.

Kristen

Kristen- I was wondering the same thing but my doctors don't want to stop my period either. Lets just say it is hormonal, than there has to be SOMETHING to help us out.

I've even irrationally thought about getting pregnant because you don't get your period but that was just a silly thought because when I'm sick my 3 kids are a big enough handful for us. And who knows if I'd be worse after delivery

Thanks for your response

Dayna

Hey Dayna--

I smiled when i read your post because i thought being pregnant might conveniently help my symptoms too. Sadly, i have a husband to find, a wedding to plan, a degree to finish, money to make, and a home to buy before that's even and option. :P

Guess I'll be passing out through all those milestones unless the magic pill comes out one of these days.

Kristen

Hi Dayna,

I have had the same problem for 4 years now just trying to figure out what triggers my bad days. I will say that it seems some months right before I start my period that I tend to have bad days but then some months not. Because I am older I sometimes wonder if I am going through premenopausal problems.

It is so hard to try and plan activites anymore and wonder if it will be a good day and can I pull this off or not. I think it is a good idea that you are doing a journal. I think maybe I should start one as well.

I don't know how you young mommies do it. I admire you all. I was lucky enough to not get this dang stuff until I was 40. Its just like someone turns a light switch and life changes in a heart beat. You are ALL an inspiration to me. Some of you are going back to school, raising young children, moderating this great site and supporting and staying as positive as you are.

Thanks so much

Patty :P

dayna & kristen et al -

i have had A LOT of benefit from being on a version of "the pill" continuously for several years now; when i tried to go off it once (when i was doing better) i paid for it within a few months. i tend to let myself have a period every 3-4 months and know that i'll have a few bad days, but they're still not as bad as when i was going forth au naturale. and i'd never had problems with my period itself, i.e. cramps, pain, PMS-type symptoms, it was "just" that a few days before my period i would black out like clockwork. this was fine when my periods were super-regular (they were for years) b/c i could up my meds as needed, but when they started being REALLY irregular it was a mess. sadly enough i always knew when my period was on its' way, but usually that meant i'd already fainted at least once, perhaps including a trip to the ER, etc.

if you do a search for "birth control" you'll probably find previous threads on the topic as there has been quite a bit of discussion on it in the past.

for me it's been helpful & was part of the mix that kept me able to work for years. this past year it sure hasn't kept me from craziness but likely kept things from being another whole level of worse at certain times of the month.

:-)melissa