Compression hose strength

MaryJo

Hi Everyone,

I know that there have been a lot of previous posts on compression hose, but i would really appreciate your views on what strength to go for. i am unsure if to go straight for 30-40 or if to try 20-30 first. I have never worn compression hose before, although i have worn light support tights with a strength of 6, which frankly i did not feel the difference in wearing from ordinary tights.

I know that it is recommended by Dr Grubb to try the 30-40 strength, but just wondered what you have all felt from experience.

Many thanks.

Love,

MJ

MJ, my doc recommends no less than 30. Since the stockings aren't cheap, I went with her suggestion first. They seem to help me...

when I'm smart enough to wear them (which isn't often). I find them difficult to put on and often joke that the struggle of getting them correctly in place is enough of a daily workout that I don't need to go to the gym <_< I've been told that wearing rubber gloves helps to get them on--I haven't tried that myself yet, but may next weekend--we're going out for a fancy dinner and I'm going to wear my hose to keep from being a party-pooper.

I wear the Ames Walker brand, but I know there are other brands that our members use too with good results.

Nina

I would check with your dr, because I think it really depends on your BP. I have different compressions, which I wear on different days b/c my BP fluctuates a lot. My BP is usually at least 90/60, so my docs have told me I don't really need the 30-40 (tho I have some and use it anyway in the winter). I did feel really weird when I first started wearing the 30-40 hose, but that went away in a week or so.

I have tried a few different brands of hose and found the Jobst opaque to be the most comfortable. They are too hot for me to wear in the summer, tho - sheer is much better!

i have tried both the 20-30 & the 30-40, in various brands, and find that the stronger ones (30-40) have added benefit without added hassle. in other words i don't find them any more annoying to put on than the 20-30s, or warmer, etc. the different brands & styles can feel very different too which is worth keeping in mind.

and while BP probably can play a role in the strength recommended for some, this may not always be the case b/c for some BP doesn't even change (rather HR does) b/c of pooling.

and yes, nina, good (thick) rubber gloves help a lot!!! (especially with thinner hose)

i wear my hose whenever i can - only the heat or skin issues stop me. i've gotten pretty used to putting them on.

good luck & happy hose-wearing!

:-)melissa

Hi All.

Many thanks for your responses, and tips re: the hose!

I have ordered the Jobst opaque open toe in 30-40 strength. I will try these to begin with and see how i can get on. I will let you know. I have problems with lots of aching in my legs also which is only relieved through elevation, and so I think i may be getting varicose veins which will obviously be helped by the hose too.

Does anyone know if there are any health warnings regarding the hose, other than not to wear them when sleeping?

Many thanks.

Love,

MJ

Hi Mary Jo,

I have to supply and fit these as part of my job (bad enough trying to get them on myself, let alone other people!!). They are worth trying as many people, myself included, find them helpful. I personally find the 20-30 too low in compression, the 30-40 are better for me.

In terms of contra-indications, the main ones are arterial disease (atherosclerosis etc) and diabetes (or other conditions which reduce sensation). (I usually add to the list severe osteo or rheumatoid arthritis, but only because these group of folk often have difficulty getting the hose on due to hand and grip problems).

I really hope you find them helpful, good luck!

Hi Scooby2,

Thanks for your reply, it was really helpful, but left me a little concerned. Please would you tell me about the risk of arterial disease and diabetes. How does this occur? What, if anything can we do to reduce the risk?

This is the first time that I have heard of any risk factor, or read about it, so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Love,

MJ :P

just wanted to add a "me too" in the bunch.. I wear the 30-40 comprression hose..Jobst.. But I am really bad at wearing them in the summer heat.. :P

and yes Nina.. i like your comment about the gym.. HAHAHA! that is soo funny.. yet true!

MJ-

the risk factors mentioned are not things that can be caused by wearing the hose but rather conditions that - for some who already have the condition(s) - may contraindicate wearing them. for example, b/c the hose are so tight, they can pinch a bit if they get bunched up, etc. for me this causes discomfort & i fix them. in some diabetics with loss of sensation this could be dangerous b/c they wouldn't be able to feel the problem & thus wouldn't correct it, potentially leading to sores/ulcers and other complications.

i hope this helps clarify a bit.

obviously everything has its risks, but in the realm of all the things out there to try, for most people wearing hose is one of the safest.

personally i have super sensitive skin & do have issues with dermatographia & other rashes at times but they always clear up pretty quickly if i give the hose a bit of a rest....

:-)melissa