Best ways to hold on to fluids?

I get saline infusions 3x/week but I'd rather not do this for the rest of my life. What meds do you use that help you hold on to fluid? I can't tolerate florinef. I currently take propranolol and midodrine which both help a ton...but only when I have just had saline. 48 hours after an infusion and I'm in bed :*(

Guest KiminOrlando

I drink fluids and it goes right through me. The same with IVs. I wish I knew how to keep fluids too. I take florinef and salt pills.

Have you tried adding salt to your diet?  At my worst I used to drink a cup of broth every morning and night followed by lots of water.  I was able to retain lots of water that way.

Midodrine constricts your blood vessels, so it won't help retain water.   The beta blocker you are taking would lower blood pressure.  That might be a medication to reconsider with your doctor.

@jvherenow - try Ringer's solution rather than NSS, it works much better. NSS made me swell up and pee it out, whereas Ringer's stays in my blood vessels, decreases my BP, does not cause excessive urination and the effects last much longer. 1 infusion weekly is all I need to see results for that whole week, NSS worked for about a day or two. 

I haven't had luck getting switched over to LR, so I have to be grateful for my saline.

DDAVP does help me somewhat. It might be worth a try... I also take licorice with some benefit and no side effects (also recommended-after I put myself on it, the doctor we have spoken of said "good idea", ugh). I couldn't tolerate Florinef, but take tons of salt (broth is great, or I make homemade electrolyte solution).