Low Magnesium (Anybody?)

potsiebarbie

This is probably my third ER visit in the past two weeks, and the first time they have decided to check my Magnesium which the doctor said is severely low. I'm about to get some via iv and he is making sure I follow up with nephrologist and endocrinologist. Me being the anxious wreck that I am, I am a wee bit concerned. Any ideas on what could cause it besides diet? 

It's so spooky I came online to post this exact same thing.

Mine has been hanging around 0.68-0.79 mmol/L - I am on Omeprazole which can cause hypomagnesemia, so I lowered my dose to see what happens, I have increased the amount of magnesium I am eating also to 400+ per day plus a magnesium supplement. Can you find out what your levels were? Any symptoms?

I have also ordered a red blood cell magnesium test which is a more accurate test of the magnesium in cells!

Andy

I know I need a boost when I am constantly having to go lay down or curl up in the rocking chair. My energy feels like it has been sucked away and I just wish my batteries would run longer. My cardiologist told me to scrub my face with epsom salts. Just dampen your hands and pat the epsom salts with your fingers and palms (that's all you need) and then give your face a gentle scrubbing. I often do my neck and forearms too. I feel a bit more perky almost immediately and that energy boost has extended me often into the next day. And, how wonderful, my face is smooth and glowing--it's a great facial too! Beauty tips from my cardiologist. Win.

1 hour ago, andybonse said:

It's so spooky I came online to post this exact same thing.

Mine has been hanging around 0.68-0.79 mmol/L - I am on Omeprazole which can cause hypomagnesemia, so I lowered my dose to see what happens, I have increased the amount of magnesium I am eating also to 400+ per day plus a magnesium supplement. Can you find out what your levels were? Any symptoms?

I have also ordered a red blood cell magnesium test which is a more accurate test of the magnesium in cells!

Andy

Tons of symptoms (hence the three ER visits), but idk which ones are directly related. 

Persistent tachycardia (even after iv fluids and hours of laying down)

Chest pain (way worse than usual)

S.O.B. (although this has been my most persistent and bothersome problem since pots)

Back pain 

Muscle twitches ( including a wiggling right below the sternum in the stomach that I find extremely disturbing, but doctors seem all too unamused with it)

Palpitations (of course)

Nerve pain (at least I think it is nerve) 

And for the grand finale (newest symptom and incredibly disabling and unsettling) every time I'm walking my entire leg goes numb (starting from foot and working it's way up leg to lower back and abdomen)

In breaking news! ...

The ER called me and said that they were having some lab errors on the machine that ran my Magnesium. So it might not be low after all. I'm honestly really bummed cuz I was hoping this was a big ah ha moment and so many of my symptoms seemed to fit. I just had blood drawn to re-check at my PCP but the results may not be in for a couple days. I'm feeling pretty hopeless. 

An excellent food (not supplement) source of magnesium are hemp seeds (aka "hemp hearts"). I put them in my post exercise protein smoothie and whatever soup I'm having that day. Three tablespoons (30 grams) of the seeds supplies 197 mg. magnesium - 4 mg of iron, 460 mg phosphorous and .3 mg thiamin too!

4 hours ago, WinterSown said:

I know I need a boost when I am constantly having to go lay down or curl up in the rocking chair. My energy feels like it has been sucked away and I just wish my batteries would run longer. My cardiologist told me to scrub my face with epsom salts. Just dampen your hands and pat the epsom salts with your fingers and palms (that's all you need) and then give your face a gentle scrubbing. I often do my neck and forearms too. I feel a bit more perky almost immediately and that energy boost has extended me often into the next day. And, how wonderful, my face is smooth and glowing--it's a great facial too! Beauty tips from my cardiologist. Win.

Per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/  :

"Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed. In the study that examined the permeation of topically applied magnesium no information is given on the quantity of absorbed magnesium."

By the way, I take an epsom salt bath (3 cups per full tub) every night before bed.  

18 hours ago, ScottS said:

An excellent food (not supplement) source of magnesium are hemp seeds (aka "hemp hearts"). I put them in my post exercise protein smoothie and whatever soup I'm having that day. Three tablespoons (30 grams) of the seeds supplies 197 mg. magnesium - 4 mg of iron, 460 mg phosphorous and .3 mg thiamin too!

Per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/  :

"Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed. In the study that examined the permeation of topically applied magnesium no information is given on the quantity of absorbed magnesium."

By the way, I take an epsom salt bath (3 cups per full tub) every night before bed.  

I know this white paper 😞 This about Magnesium Oil which isn't even an oil. Your skin is better at repelling than absorbing,  a spritzing is not going to do it enough to be noticed. Ingesting magnesium in food or supplement form is going to give you a better boost that a few spritzes of Magnesium Oil. Obviously, scrubbing with epsom salts barely dilutes the strength and at such high concentration what is absorbed is beneficial. Same for the bath, you are soaking for a prolonged period of time up to your neck--it's greater exposure with greater length of time. It helps too. And a nice warm soak is also good for the soul. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, WinterSown said:

I know this white paper 😞 This about Magnesium Oil which isn't even an oil. Your skin is better at repelling than absorbing,  a spritzing is not going to do it enough to be noticed. Ingesting magnesium in food or supplement form is going to give you a better boost that a few spritzes of Magnesium Oil. Obviously, scrubbing with epsom salts barely dilutes the strength and at such high concentration what is absorbed is beneficial. Same for the bath, you are soaking for a prolonged period of time up to your neck--it's greater exposure with greater length of time. It helps too. And a nice warm soak is also good for the soul. 

I just thought it interesting that our skin has "functional magnesium transporters". Who knew? (I didn't.)

I'm having an RBC magnesium test tomorrow, so will see what that shows with my low end serum magnesium!

I bought some Magnesium Citrate which is 400mg, but 16% is elemental magnesium meaning 64mg of actual magnesium. Seems tiny and that's taking 2 tablets of the stuff! I've been eating over 400mg per day in food.

Anyone else know if my math is correct there? lol.

12 hours ago, ScottS said:

I just thought it interesting that our skin has "functional magnesium transporters". Who knew? (I didn't.)

Osmosis is the key. You have to have all the right components to keep cells fed, watered and oxygenated. That's why it is especially important for dysautonomics to eat a balanced diet. My cardiologist took me off of all supplements and told me to instead get everything from the foods I eat and drink.  This morning for breakfast I had an english with peanut butter and banana chunks. Yummy. And good for me. There's also an apple cut in half on the counter for me to nibble on throughout that day, and a nice veggie soup I made from whatnots in the veggie drawer in the fridge. Yesterday i was snacking on sugared pecans--ate the whole bag too, slurp. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/07/10/what-foods-contain-magnesium_a_23024245/

31 minutes ago, WinterSown said:

Osmosis is the key. You have to have all the right components to keep cells fed, watered and oxygenated. That's why it is especially important for dysautonomics to eat a balanced diet. My cardiologist took me off of all supplements and told me to instead get everything from the foods I eat and drink.  This morning for breakfast I had an english with peanut butter and banana chunks. Yummy. And good for me. There's also an apple cut in half on the counter for me to nibble on throughout that day, and a nice veggie soup I made from whatnots in the veggie drawer in the fridge. Yesterday i was snacking on sugared pecans--ate the whole bag too, slurp. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/07/10/what-foods-contain-magnesium_a_23024245/

Thank you for the Huffington Post link. Fortunately for me I can (and do) eat (and often crave) pretty much everything on the list. The exceptions? Tofu and kale - ugh and double ugh.

An aside, I LOL at your description of snacking on sugared pecans. You slurp them? 

6 hours ago, ScottS said:

Thank you for the Huffington Post link. Fortunately for me I can (and do) eat (and often crave) pretty much everything on the list. The exceptions? Tofu and kale - ugh and double ugh.

An aside, I LOL at your description of snacking on sugared pecans. You slurp them? 

I like tofu, I sear slices in a pan with some seasoning--simple and easily digested meal for me. No I do not slurp sugared pecan--but they will make you drool. Slurpy slurpy. And I think kale tastes like burning tires, one level up from brussel sprouts.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/kalettes/

They are a cross between kale and Brussels sprouts. Provided for your reference (in case you garden and/or have a sudden change of mind). Or for your bemusement (as to "why"?).

I can't eat soy of any kind, I'm allergic. (I will, however, have a handful of your pecans, thank you.)

On 1/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, FileTrekker said:

You don't want to be taking loads in one go, and supplement is just that so maybe add a bit of dark leafy greens in or whatever too.

Magnesium Citrate works good though.

Been off of my PPI for 3 days and eating like 500mg per day of magnesium from food and my serum is now 0.81mmol/l!!! So much happier with it at that level!