Vision Issues Upon Awakening

Stark

I know many on this forum have experienced vision issues related to their dysautonomia. I have recently been experiencing visual snow, double/blurry vision, and floaters, but ONLY right after I wake up in the morning. After a few minutes these symptoms fade away, thankfully.  Has anyone else experienced this or have any theories? It happens before I sit up and goes away before I sit up so I don't think it would be related to blood flow to the head.  I also don't think it's a hydration issue for the same reason. Very strange and I'm hoping it stays limited to those first minutes in the morning

I have two forms of dysautonomia, one diagnosed (POTS) and one unknown (that may or may not be related to the POTS) that affects my vision. The primary triggers for my vision issues are florescent lights and bright sunlight (that strikes my eyes at certain angles though, curiously, rarely straight on). "Visual snow and double/ blurry vision". Check. (Sometimes also speckled and "grayed out".) Mornings (especially those bright mornings in the Winter and early Spring when the sun is still rising lower on the horizon) are problematic, so I often wear sunglasses indoors. The doctors I've seen (many) have all been befuddled by my problem, though all are certain it is related to my dysautonomia. (To add to the confusion, I have excellent vision otherwise!)

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

@ScottS - do you take any medications that could have the vision problems as a side effect?

I don't take any meds for POTS or anything else for that matter. Well, I do take a low dose statin but that's only because I'm 61 and my cardio recommended it as a preventative measure. (My cardio says he and every cardio he knows is on one statin or another. Food for thought.) When I was first diagnosed in 1998 meds for POTS were unknown. I did (briefly in 2011) try midodine (spelling?), but all it did was make things MUCH worse. I am at least aware of the triggers that set my vision off (all physical, all - apparently - related to both light intensity and certain otherwise invisible/imperceivable wavelengths). 

I was having that alot.....I used to say my eyes are not awake yet.....it was happening alot but has stopped now.....make sure you get a blood sugar tester..and test first thing in the morning...when my blood sugar is high my vision gets blurry too.....but the POTS blurry was different....but it has stopped for the moment...I started taking IRON supplements and my blurry cleared up about 2 days after I started them...I don't know if it had anything to do with it or just coincidence.......POTS is very frustrating and it seems symptoms come and go randomly

• 1 year later...

I have unequal and messed up pupil responses as found on autonomic testing - part of the dysautonomia associated with my CRPS. Once my herbs and coffee kick in during the morning, vision improves and the eyes sync and work together. The sympathetic system causes pupillary dilation when norepinephrine binds to an adrenergic receptor in the radial fibers of the iris smooth muscle.  When blood pressure is low, vision begins to grey out and if left unattended, to completely white out and I'm in trouble and head for a dose of hydrocortisone to bring bp quickly back up into a more normal range. If stressed emotionally or physically during the day the eyes start to go south again until I adjust with more herbs. My glasses are transition (darken with light) and help keep light levels even. Inside without glasses I generally prefer low light levels. 

When I had Lyme disease I had tons of floaters - a sea of them floating across my vision. What a trip. They resolved once Lyme disease was gone. 

When I wake up I get blue dots in my eyes and feel really dizzy like I am going to pass out. I am not sure if that is the same thing as you. I have chronic migraine so I always have floaters and dots in my vision and I commonly see weird colors, so it is hard to differentiate that.