Is there a smart watch that detects HR and BP?

Derek1987

I have not seen BP unless you get one of the wrist cuffs. Those can be unreliable though. Some people it works great, others not so much. I have seen the new Garmin that does HR and O2. I am thinking about upgrading my Garmin vivosmart HR to that one come taxes. I am concerned that it will be too small though. My current one is small enough and that new one is supposed to be smaller. 

I love my garmin. It is waterproof and does the usual activity tracking plus HR. I have tested it against a pulse oximeter and it is fairly accurate (not checked it during exercise). Just make sure you wait til the icon stops blinking when you do a manual check. Other than a manual check it does automatic every 2 minutes. And from my garmin I can check the last 4 hours and see a graph and high and low. From the app I can see more. If I don't feel good I can do a manual check and decide whether to push through or go lay done. Or if I am in the shower and it is over 140 I know to get out.  It has been a life saver for me. The only draw back is the automatic check ever 2 minutes. I have had attacks and it doesn't catch it. And it doesn't save a manual check.

@Derek1987 - unfortunately BP measuring devices that work in the wrists are generally not reliable. There is a lot of change in pressure between your heart and your wrists, the upper arm and wrist can have great differences in readings. I was a nurse for many years and even with the BP machines in the hospitals there can be differences. In many cases the BP has to be checked manually ( the old-fashioned way ) to get accurate readings, even in hospitals. IMO manual BP is the way to go. I have used several different BP and HR devices and found them ALL to be inaccurate. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:37 AM, Pistol said:

@Derek1987 - unfortunately BP measuring devices that work in the wrists are generally not reliable. There is a lot of change in pressure between your heart and your wrists, the upper arm and wrist can have great differences in readings. I was a nurse for many years and even with the BP machines in the hospitals there can be differences. In many cases the BP has to be checked manually ( the old-fashioned way ) to get accurate readings, even in hospitals. IMO manual BP is the way to go. I have used several different BP and HR devices and found them ALL to be inaccurate. 

My boss has been trying to teach me to use a manual cuff for work (I work in the environmental health and safety field). I have such a hard time hearing their heart beat over mine. 

I think the accuracy of the automatic machines depend on the thickness of the person's arm. My dad has large arms and he swears by the digital. My BP readings are more accurate on the arm cuff. And then I have a friend who has very large arms and an automatic can't read her at all. 

I set the cuff to where it slides easily over my arm and then leave it at that setting. That way the pressure is the same every time I take my BP. Then - when I have it on - I stick the stethoscope under the cuff rest my arm on a table and pump up the cuff. That way everything is the same everytime I take my BP.