Room spinning at night.

I have been having weird sensations for months now. At work, sometimes it feels like the building/floor is moving or that I'm leaning at times and I am not. Last night I woke up a few times and each time I rolled over in bed and opened my eyes, they room was spinning clockwise. I kept on forcing myself to go back to sleep until it finally stopped. I know someone who has this and they have a very bad quality of life. I just hope it doesn't become a permanent thing, because then I will have to give up my part time job and just sit on this couch all day. Do any of you think it is vertigo or could it be a problem with vision or high blood pressure causing some damage? I will wait and see if it happens again before I seek out medical attention. Thanks for the advice. 

Sounds a lot like vertigo symptoms--your surroundings can move but you don't, ugghhh. You don't have to have spinning, one of my symptoms is the ceiling coming down closer and closer, or the sidewalk warping and bending. Your primary can give you a Dix Hallpike Test right in their office and determine immediately if you have vertigo. My primary diagnosed me and sent me to PT for Vestibular PT. What an awesome change. The DPT corrected the problem and then focused on my balance and gait. Definitely call your primary and describe your symptoms--vertigo is horrible and you shouldn't have to tolerate the sensations because they can be corrected. I hope you feel better soon. 

5 minutes ago, WinterSown said:

Sounds a lot like vertigo symptoms--your surroundings can move but you don't, ugghhh. You don't have to have spinning, one of my symptoms is the ceiling coming down closer and closer, or the sidewalk warping and bending. Your primary can give you a Dix Hallpike Test right in their office and determine immediately if you have vertigo. My primary diagnosed me and sent me to PT for Vestibular PT. What an awesome change. The DPT corrected the problem and then focused on my balance and gait. Definitely call your primary and describe your symptoms--vertigo is horrible and you shouldn't have to tolerate the sensations because they can be corrected. I hope you feel better soon. 

Yeah. It's not bad right now but I need to have it looked at. I do have a lot of wax in my ears that needs to be removed and that could contribute to the problem. I hate the human body. I just get really worried because I always think blood clots and mini-strokes since I am on blood thinners. Thanks for the support.

Just now, blizzard2014 said:

Yeah. It's not bad right now but I need to have it looked at. I do have a lot of wax in my ears that needs to be removed and that could contribute to the problem. I hate the human body. I just get really worried because I always think blood clots and mini-strokes since I am on blood thinners. Thanks for the support.

Your primary can take the wax out on the same visit. You can give them an assist by using a wax softener a day or two before going in for your visit. You will get better, vertigo is not a hopeless condition.

I sometimes get something similar at night. But it is usually when I take a melatonin to help me sleep and I stay up too long after I take it. Almost like I am over tired. 

The world "shifts" on me only every so often. I don't know why, I just hold on the the wall til it gets better. 

For ear wax buildup you can use 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water solution in let it sit in your ear, then flip over and lay on that ear with a paper towel to help drain it. I use this on my kids and occasionally myself to help the earwax buildup and water clogging. 

I hope you see a doctor soon and get feeling better.

23 hours ago, POTSGIRL123 said:

I think it sounds like this disease but there is a "cure" for it....  look this up    Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)

Vertigo is not a disease, it is a symptom. https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo

Yes it's vertigo. Normally caused by a disconnect between your inner ears that forces your eyes to move with the motion your ear is senses. Except you are still and your ear has made an error. Normally this is due to inner ear infections. It can be important so if it continues mention it to your doctor. There are some pills that apparently help - they didn't help me but worth a try.

There are a few basic tests that help detect this. Some are ok, like the video nystagmus test, then there's other tests such as the head shaking test and the spinning chair test. These are not fun when the room is spinning anyway, but a special mention has to go to the calorific ear tests where they pour a litre or so of cold then body temperature water into your each ear whilst recording your eye movements.

Hope it gets better!

23 minutes ago, GasconAlex said:

Yes it's vertigo. Normally caused by a disconnect between your inner ears that forces your eyes to move with the motion your ear is senses. Except you are still and your ear has made an error. Normally this is due to inner ear infections. It can be important so if it continues mention it to your doctor. There are some pills that apparently help - they didn't help me but worth a try.

There are a few basic tests that help detect this. Some are ok, like the video nystagmus test, then there's other tests such as the head shaking test and the spinning chair test. These are not fun when the room is spinning anyway, but a special mention has to go to the calorific ear tests where they pour a litre or so of cold then body temperature water into your each ear whilst recording your eye movements.

Hope it gets better!

I had a VEMP test, too. It's like sonar mapping of the ocean floor but they are mapping the tunnels of your ears. M E G A B A R F

On 7/15/2018 at 9:58 PM, POTSGIRL123 said:

I think it sounds like this disease but there is a "cure" for it....  look this up    Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)

I’ve had bouts of BPPV twice. The first time it lasted 4 weeks and the second time was just 24-hours. But I know someone who has it longer-term so it could be this. 

Do you get the vertigo feeling when you’re standing up and you move your head upwards or downwards? This is very common. I also got it when lying down and putting my head on the left side. I’d have to grab hold of something as I felt like I was on a boat - it was really scary. You can be sure it’s BPPV if you try to remain in the same position for up to a minute when the vertigo starts - if it’s BPPV the vertigo will subside within a minute or so. 

It’s caused by tiny crystals in your ear canals coming lose and moving around. The doctors can perform a manoeuvre to ease it. I found that by sleeping on the opposite side to the one which was causing the vertigo made my BPPV bouts subside. I assume this is because the ear crystals moved back into the place they are meant to be.  

Anyway, if it is BPPV I wish you all the luck as vertigo is just horrid. 

Dysautonomia can sometimes cause extreme dizziness which can be similar to inner ear dizziness.  I definitely got the feeling that I was walking on a rowboat and that dizziness was caused by dysautonomia.  I still get it occasionally but I am so used to it by now.

I would't guess as to what is causing your dizziness.  I also think if you had vertigo (which is more like spinning than the ground moving up and down) it usually wouldn't just  happenin the same circumstances - it could happen at any time.   But definitely start with getting the earwax removed and if that doesn't help your doctor can send you for ear testing.

Edited by yogini

My oldest daughter has lived with vertigo for the past 10 years, my youngest for the past 6 (but she also had it when she was 3).  Theirs is caused by dysautonomia. They have it 24/7.  It never completely leaves, but it does fluctuate in its severity.  Good luck to you.  This is not a fun one!