Panic after eating

Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had issues with this or has found something to help it. I have POTS and often feel panic after eating. I have never had a textbook anaphylactic reaction to anything (no throat closing, severe rashes, facial or tongue swelling) although I have had shortness of breath and chest tightness after eating. I have had all negative IGE blood tests. But I have become very nervous about eating. I avoid all alcohol and caffeine and cut back on sugar and carbs. Any suggestions appreciated. I currently take metoprolol, Claritin and Zantac. (Thought I would try the mast cell meds just in case, not making much difference I think). 

Hi - does it happen even after snacks or just after meals? Many times even a modest meal can cause the blood to go to your gut to help with digestion and you could have a norepinephrine-overreaction causing those symptoms. If that is the case you may want to try to take frequent small snacks instead of regular meals. 

I agree with Pistol.  In the past I have had similar symptoms--heart pounding and general increase in POTS symptoms after eating.  Usually worse in the AM and worse with larger meals, more carbs, or not much fluid.  I found for awhile I had to eat small protein rich meals in the AM through early PM to minimize these symptoms.

I got this SO often after full meals, or anything carb or fat-heavy. I didn't know what to call them so I refer to them as "Carb-attacks" because it feels like a heart attack. 

After I was first diagnosed, I learned this was tied to POTS(like Pistol described) and that was such a huge light bulb moment for me. 

It happens way less often for me now (used to be after every meal) I'm on metoprolol and I take my evening dose before dinner(my largest meal) and it really helps. Other things like mentioned above, don't eat big carb heavy meals. I do best with 4-5 small meals through the day with lots of snacking. I feel like I'm constantly eating lol but I've gone from having these carb-attacks 3 times a day to maybe once a month. 

I've had this for years and now have smaller meals and cut out sugary foods and reduced carbs. The gut makes the whole of the nervous system go haywire. I know I used to feel awful after eating. Smaller meals definitely and avoid gas generating foods. 

Have you guys ever heard of Mast Cell Activation Disorder? It often times can come along with a POTS diagnosis and can cause these issues. Some patients are on a daily Benadryl drip to prevent severe allergic reactions. You should look into that and maybe get tested. You can have a mild form of this. 

Here is a link to this: https://tmsforacure.org/symptoms/symptoms-and-triggers-of-mast-cell-activation/

I have noticed I tend to feel panicky when my POTS is acting up.  I think for me this is not anxiety or an allergic reaction but rather ”just POTS”. Eating  lowers blood pressure and is a common trigger for POTS symptoms.  Try eating smaller meals and avoiding carbs and see if that helps.i always feel better later in the day so I eat more and eat more carbs at night.

Edited by yogini

This happened to me severely when I was in my third trimester.  I coped by cutting meals in half and cutting out basically all carbs and sugar.  Once I got my ferritin levels up a bit, it seemed better.  After delivering the baby I am not having this problem, so there could be a hormonal component?

Blizzard-MCAS !! I just reviewed the web site you tagged- WOW!! My first "episode" was being stuck at a baseball game in early May with temp in the 70's but full sun leading to a reaction I thought was heat exhaustion and had to go to MD-She thought it was MS and thus started my research....5 years later TTT positive for NCS but alot of my symptoms could be MCAS as well. So an Allergist is who I should go to for diagnosis??

eating a trigger for me too - heart will start pounding and it may lead to the full blown spell. Maybe try giving up the claritin. i have to look it up but i think claritin might inhibit mao-a. If you have any problems with that, like i do, then that will add to the burden. Thinks i've tried is oddly to play scrabble online when heart starts pounding after a meal. seems to engage my parasympathetic system- not sure why. For me, worse at night - dinner - even though no longer biggest meal of my day. have you seen if breathing to engage parasympathetic nervous system helps? i have not had much luck with those - and they can make it worse for me but others swear by it. One thing that does help me is if i can induce a yawning jag. sometimes they happen spontaneously, last a ridiculous long time (like half an hour) then at the end my heart has gone back to normal - not pounding and no chest pressure.

btw, some of symptoms too may be esophageol spasms which also are quite distressing.