Sign in to follow this  
WinterSown

Clutter Bomb

I am tired of taking care of stuff I no longer use. A lot I've held onto for sentimental reasons but I just can't put the energy into this anymore. I think it's a visual trigger as well because of sensory overload. For guidance I bought a book called Swedish Death Cleaning and think it makes sense. I am only halfway through the book and I haven't tossed a thing yet but I now have a plan on how to downsize my possessions over the next year. It's not going to be a weekend purge but a gentle excavation room by room. I'm using up my energy to take care of all this stuff and need to downsize so I less things have to take care of and keep more spoons for the things I need. 

What is 'Swedish death cleaning' and should you be doing it?

Hi winters snow

We moved 5 years ago and downsized to a much smaller house it was hard work getting rid of stuff but we bought a house that needed total renovation and we would be living in whilst we did the work ourselves, so space would be difficult and we put a lot of stuff into storage. When we took our belongings out of storage I realised how I hadn't missed so many things so I did anther huge purge, thank goodness I did most of this before my pots incapacitated me for 2 years !

Inside is now done lots of storage, clear surfaces in living areas apart from a couple of beloveded items, most of furniture was chosen to be built in or off the floor so I could vacume underneath it . I do not miss any of the stuff I threw out and cleaning is so easy ! My kitchen counter tops are clear which makes a huge difference to cleaning and meal prep , very different to my last place which had a lack of storage and permantly moving stuff out of the way! 

It's hard work but defiantly worth the effort in the long term .My family at last have given up trying to off load their unwanted items on me! The house feels restful and is my sanctuary

Good luck with the project !