Relief from dizziness and vertigo?

dizzyape

I had some dizziness and vertigo come on suddenly today. My BP was 129/84 and my pulse was 83. Not sure what brought it on or how to get relief. I started drinking a gatorade and I'm trying to relax but it's such an awful feeling. I would appreciate any feedback or advice on relief of symptoms

Guest KiminOrlando

This kind of thing happens to me. I finally convinced a neuro to let me have a standing MRI with flexion. It showed movement (like yoga) was compressing my brainstem because of C1 and C2 instability. 

Read up on brainstem compression symptoms and see if it fits. It is rare, but not as rare in dysautonomia patients.

Guest KiminOrlando

Short answer, no. I have a soft neck brace to see if that helps. It hasn't helped me. I went to PT to see if I could strengthen neck muscles for more support... disaster.

I have been recommended for surgery, but I am hesitant. I would only do it with a neurosurgeon who is published. I am meeting with another neurosurgeon next week to see if he agrees with surgery. 

I talked about this on other threads. Do a search and read up on the topic. Other people also told their stories on those threads. I think you will find it interesting.

Guest KiminOrlando

That I don't know. I'll be asking next week. I think the danger is getting in a minor car accident that causes a whiplash type injury, but could be more problematic for people with this condition.

I have vertigo. I sometimes feel like I'm walking on a ship listing to one side, it happens a lot when I am walking the dogs and am close to the end of the walk; I am tired then and more prone to sensations. One of my triggers is lifting my face upwards while turning my head to the right--I do this practically every time I get out of my computer chair but I've learned to stand straight and and minimize my neck movements. To confirm vertigo you can go to your Primary and ask for a Dix-Hallpike Test, if you are positive the doctor will know it in moments. It can be corrected with Vestibular PT which I very much recommend, it was a big improvement for me. I hope you feel better soon.

My daughter is currently recovering from surgery for cervical instability.  They fused from C3-T4 due to lax ligaments and muscle weakness that caused her neck to form a reverse curvature because it couldn't hold itself up.  She is 8 weeks out and is in the process of recovering from this "monster of a surgery with a brutal recovery" as her neurosurgeons put it.  It was, however, necessary to save her life.  She would have died had she not had it.  Not only did she have unrelenting vertigo since she was 12-1/2 (21 now), she would lose consciousness due to her vertebral or corotid arteries being compressed.  It also would compress her throat so that she couldn't breathe and she suffered from horrible nerve pain, muscle spasms, and a whole host of other neurological symptoms.  They opted to leave C1 and 2 for now, but will most likely have to fuse those in a few years.  We hope they hold that long.  When she woke up from her surgery her vertigo was all but gone.  However, as she has been recovering, it has come back due to the muscle spasms that are a part of this type of surgery.  It's not like it was before, but she still has to take her meclizine and diazepam every day to keep it from being in a full spin cycle. 

Kim, I admire your research and thought process as to whether to have surgery or not and weighing your options carefully.  It is definitely not for the faint of heart, that's for sure! 

Dizzyape, I would evaluate how often the vertigo hits, is it every day, once in a while, etc.  How much is your life impacted by it.  Those were all things that the neurosurgeons asked us before deciding whether to do surgery.  It took us all of one visit to figure out that it was our only option.  Are you able to work, go shopping, take care of your house, children (if you have any)?  I do hope they can find something to help you other than surgery.  Best wishes to you!