POTS

My symptoms started to appear immediately following a car accident where I hit the lower left hand side of the back of my head. My brain was sheared and there may have been some bleeding but that did not take a MRI just a month after the accident, so all they found was iron deposits. I began increasing worst until I began collasing and could not sit up 4 months later.

Ever since then (2 years) I have been really sick with what they just diagnosed as POTS. Prior to that they called my problem Post Concussion Syndrome because of the shearing on my brain. Even after the shearing healed they continued calling it because of the scarring that remained on the MRI's.

But now that they know that it has been POTS my question is what is the relationship between POTS and Car accidents. I know that car accidents can be stressors but I was completly healthy before this happened. WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION about the relationship between the two?

I have a car case because I was not at fault and I can't get a lawyer to take the case on even the head injury or back injury because they are saying the POTS is complicating everything???? My health insurance is also refusing to pay for multiple bills because they say that the accident is at fault for the POTS. I DON'T understand EITHER WAY!!!!

I have no idea if car accidents can cause POTS but I do think it is interesting. I have been told that my POTS is probably secondary to hypermobility syndrome. However, if I look back in my medical record my heart rate and everything was fine up until I was in a rather severe car accident four years ago. I injured the top left side of my neck (where the neck meets the head) by a stereo system that came loose in the accident. I have no idea if the accident played a part in my POTS because like I said the docs told me they thought it was secondary to HMS but I certianly think its interesting...... :rolleyes:

That's about the same place I hit my head. Bottom of head, top of neck on left side. I read about the Brain-stem dysregulation on http://www.dinet.org/what_are_the_mechanisms_of_POTS.htm about "One patient reportedly improved after microvascular decompression at the region of the left medulla" (which is right were I hit my head) and so that got me thinking...

Any Ideas?

I have no idea if car accidents can cause POTS but I do think it is interesting. I have been told that my POTS is probably secondary to hypermobility syndrome. However, if I look back in my medical record my heart rate and everything was fine up until I was in a rather severe car accident four years ago. I injured the top left side of my neck (where the neck meets the head) by a stereo system that came loose in the accident. I have no idea if the accident played a part in my POTS because like I said the docs told me they thought it  was secondary to HMS but I certianly think its interesting...... :rolleyes:

Michelle - Do you know how I can get a hold of that person?? Or the lawyer?? I'm having trouble getting anyone to take my case... And I also had a traumatic brain injury.

Kite - I tried to open the link to that website because I would really like to get a hold of the article but the site is coming up unavailable. Suggestions?

Thanks so much everyone!!!

hello all,

I found a great article while back dysautonomia after traumatic brain injury from the University of Sydney Australia Neurology dept. http://jnnp.bmpjjournals.com/cgicontentfull/67/1/39

In fact in my searches over the years I have found many comprhensive sites in Australia.

Kite 7

Just a thought, any good injury lawyer should be able to find the case citation by doing a case law review. That's what they pay their paralegals to do.

:) Nina

Would that cover any state??? I live in Nevada? Thank you all for your help. I finally got an appointment with a lawyer on Thursday! I'll keep you all updated!

Any luck with that site update - Kite?

Just a thought, any good injury lawyer should be able to find the case citation by doing a case law review. That's what they pay their paralegals to do.

:) Nina

hello all,

Sorry copied it down wrong. Amongst the few things Ido well you can excluded typing , or ANYTHING that is remotely assiociated with Technology. Presently , my computer has become a mobile unit and I find myself haing to uncrate , unwrap and DE - box it several times per day. So this to is my excuse de jour for incomprehensible web links . Deeplyset if you just try again and remove the p after BMP ie jnnp.bmjjournals.com - then the rest is correct Again my applogies , However futher to this frustration I have in my possesion 75 ft of bubble wrap - Ihave to say it is some of THE best stress relief. What can I say I have 5 kids my Wife has 6. seeya

Movin' cross Canada Today Kite 7

Thanks for the site up date Kite. I site wasn't able ti reach that article directly it said it was not available however the site is awesome there is so much information... I'll keep looking for information. WOW, Big family. Good luck with the MOVE!

Thanks again for the help. And let me know if you have any more information and anything. I;ll let you know how it goes with the Lawyer...

Thanks everyone.

hello all,

Sorry copied it down wrong. Amongst the few things Ido well you can  excluded typing , or ANYTHING that is remotely assiociated with Technology.  Presently , my computer has become a mobile unit and I find myself haing to uncrate , unwrap and DE - box it several times per day. So this to is my excuse de jour for incomprehensible web links . Deeplyset if you just try again and remove the p  after BMP  ie jnnp.bmjjournals.com - then the rest is correct  Again my applogies , However futher to this frustration I have in my possesion 75 ft of bubble wrap - Ihave to say it is some of THE best stress relief. What can I say I have 5 kids my Wife has 6. seeya 

Movin' cross Canada Today Kite 7

hi -

sorry to be a bit late chiming in, but just wanted to say that i've definitely had thoughts about the car accident connection. for me it was not the initial cause, but i have had certain exacerbations after accidents - on two occassions. one was pre diagnosis & one was post, and this would be expected b/c obviously any stress on the body has the definite likelihood of causing problems for one with a chronic illness. i have heard others in similar situations to mine as well as who had no problems until a car accident.

good luck,

:-)melissa

Hi there,

I have heard of POTS being brought on by car accidents and anasthetic.

I was in a car accident a few years ago where i banged the back of my head near the top of my neck, don't know if it was this that brought on my pots though. Good luck with your case. :P

Wow, to wierd... The more I'm learning, the more I'm insterested. I also hit my head at back of my head near the top of my neck (on the left side)... I'm really wondering about the connection??? Your the 2rd person that has said that they hit there head there too :D ...

Do you have any resources about the connection Becky?

Hi there,

I was in  a car accident a few years ago where i banged the back of my head near the top of my neck, don't know if it was this that brought on my pots though. Good luck with your case.  :(

Wow, to wierd...  The more I'm learning, the more I'm insterested.  I also hit my head at back of my head near the top of my neck (on the left side)...  I'm really wondering about the connection???  Your the 2rd person that has said that they hit there head there too :D ...

Do you have any resources about the connection Becky?

Hi there,

I was in? a car accident a few years ago where i banged the back of my head near the top of my neck, don't know if it was this that brought on my pots though. Good luck with your case.? :)

I believe my POTS was caused through the herpes virus (COLD SORES) that remained dormant in my system but following a Motorway car crash was knocked out of it's dormancy and began to attack my ANS. Either that or it was a direct result of the car crash???!!!! :(

I was involved in a car accident right before symptoms started. KEEP COPIES

of all you records, reports etc. This is the one time I didn't turn over therapists notes, they wanted all not just related to accident. Before starting to talk to atty, explain how now you get confused and it takes longer to recall. Also neuropsych tests help alot. Miria.

Well, things with the lawyer didn't go great but didn't go bad either. He said that until I can get a someone who can directly link my experience with POTS and the car accident together then he would not be willingly to take the case. I asked him who he would want to do that (since my MD feels strongly my POTS was cause by the accident, and he feels she is not qualified to say that) he said it needs to be a nuerologist since he feels POTS sounds like a neurological disorder.

I just don't know... WHO would be an expert witness to LINK the two together? The medical evidence in my case shows that my POTS because immediately following the car accident. But NO ONE really can know for sure that what POTS is cause by in any SITUATION right???? CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS OR AT LEAST DIRECT ME WITH WHERE TO GO????

I'm having a harding enough time finding a doctor willing to actively treat me (other than my MD) let alone get into the legal matter.

The lawyer also stated that if there are other people out there that have presued litigation relating to POTS that I should attempt to contact them... Suggestions.

I was involved in a car accident right before symptoms started.  KEEP COPIES

of all you records, reports etc.  This is the one time I didn't turn over therapists notes, they wanted all not just related to accident.  Before starting to talk to atty, explain how now you get confused and it takes longer to recall.  Also neuropsych tests help alot.  Miria.