Stretching and heart rate

Goodr189

So I've become a little bit obsessed over what actions cause my heart rate to jump or slow down and I noticed that certain stretches alter my heart rate. For example, laying on the bed watching tv and my hr is at about 80-85. I then sit up straight and stretch my hands up a bit and my heart rate jumps to 100ish, then within seconds it drops down to stay in the 70s. How is it possible that one simple stretch lowered my heart rate by 10 bpm? 

In what you describe, you are changing your orthostatics and also changing the position of your arms in relation to your heart. Both of these things are known to change BP and HR. I can't speak to how your body, in particular,  reacts to these changes, but it doesn't surprise me to hear that you see changes. 

Did the HR remain low for a long time after you did the stretch?  If so that would be very interesting and surprising.  A sustained increase or decrease is more relevant than what happens right after you change position or do a brief stretch. I agree with Katy, though - what you describe does not seem notable or worrisome.

It did remain low after stretching for a bit, but I'm not sure for how long since I got up to get some food after. It was just weird that I was hanging out at around 80-85 and after the stretch i was 70-75. I'll have to do some more tests tomorrow when my heart rate is in the 80-90 range which is usually in the morning to mid afternoon.

I didn't hold my breath during the stretch, my heart rate actually increased while stretching to the 100ish range. It was after I was all done and sitting back again when I realized I just lowered my "resting HR" 10bpm by doing a simple stretch. (arms up in the air, fingers locked, 10-15 seconds)

I spent a lot of time worrying about and over-analyzing my HR when I first got POTS - probably for a couple of years or more.  I realized later that this was wasted time/worry and that I was never in danger.  The numbers you report here seem fine, so my unsolicited advice: don't worry or spend too much time on this. :)

• 4 years later...

Normally a heart rate increases during a stretch then slows after a good stretch but When I stretch my heart rate drops to 69 then shoots up to 115. Any ideas?  I have a past of SVT(corrected through cardiac ablation) and afib (corrected by cardio version). I’ve been tachycardia for a while now. Only 3 small quick beats which I’ve been told are rather normal but considering all my heart issues have started 5 years ago I’m just worried about missing something. I am wondering if a hormone panel would help? I’ve had every test I can think of leaving this to be the last test. Amitriptyline seems to be a recent med that has a side affect of tachycardia and I’m wondering if the increase to 50mg could be triggering this Side affect.