Suggestions about Dentist...

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well. :) In the next couple of weeks I have to have all four wisdom teeth taken out. I've never had any major dental work done and am kind scared about the numbing injections. My aunt (who does not have dysautonomia) told me that when she had a shot of lidocain her heart sped up like crazy because of the adrenaline in the shots. For those of you who have had dental work, what are your experiences with the shot without adrenaline? Or does the adrenaline in the lidocain not seem to effect your POTS symptoms? Also, I should mention I deal with a lot of arrythmias and palpitations. Finally, any advice about how to be relaxed about this appointment? Thanks! 

I had a root canal done today, and used the anesthesia without the epinephrine in it. I'm always afraid it will increase my heart rate, BP etc so I think it's better for me personally. The only thing is that these shots wear off quicker than the ones with it, so you may need to get a couple to make it through. I think for wisdom teeth though they usually put you under local anesthesia so you're not awake. Let them know about your medical history so they're on the same page. I'm usually really sensitive to meds, and when I had a local for a different type of surgery, I had them start at a low dose then work up from there. 

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep it in mind. Fortunately, I don't have to be put under because my roots haven't grown around the nerve. If you don't mind me asking, did you notice any side effects from the anesthesia without epi.? Did you notice your heart rate drop at all? (I saw that this was a possible side effect online.) That said, I hope your recovery is going smoothly! Thanks again

I have had root canals done without epi.  My dentist is lovely and gives me a hand signal to tell him as soon as I feel anything and he tops it up.  I am terrified of dental work but it has been fine, in fact I have to go back for some more work shortly (avoiding it at the moment, thanks to facial nerve pain that I could do without aggravating).

I haven't noticed any ill effects from just the anaesthesia without epi, in fact people have commented on how quickly I seem to get over dental work, because they are left numb and dribbling for a good few hours after major work.

Having said that, you may want to organise some decent pain relief for when you get home, as I would think it will still hurt for a while once the anaesthetic has worn off.

I ALWAYS do non-epi but still had an effect the last time--although the dentist seemed slightly less-than-capable, so I'm wondering if they gave me epi anyway :/  Prior to that, before I was diagnosed, I got the epi shot and my heart rate skyrocketed and I nearly fainted in the chair, then had a lovely episode of "everything go through the gut NOW!" It was pretty awful, and, if you get tachy, it can be dangerous. Definitely discuss your health concerns with them beforehand. My old dentist was amazing and researched POTS on her own to make my experience better. I'm so sad I had to move away! 

Going to the dentist is even worse for POTSies. All the best!

I've had two teeth extracted with carbocaine and multiple cavities filled, without side effects.  You can look online to read about the side effects, and also ask your doctor, since it is different for each person.  Carbocaine is not as effective as the epi shot - so you may feel a little more pain and you may have to have extra shots in the middle of your treatment.

I had all four wisdom teeth out (messy extraction- they were impacted) under general anesthesia. My advice would be to get a very good surgeon, and be upfront about your concerns. I'd never been put under before and was very nervous, but seem to have suffered no ill effects. I was feeling great within 10 days, waited a bit longer to eat crunchy things.  Don't use straws, don't smoke. 

I was worried about my tooth out, I had the first appointment, they gave me Mepivicaine and I could feel the drill etc. Got referred to the hospital and she did the lidocaine with adrenalin, she injected it so slow and made sure she didnt hit a blood vessel and numbed me up and drilled through with no pain and EDS can make people resistant to locals apparantly, but she did it and it worked.

I guess its finding a real professional with experience. But seriously, she got it out and I was prolonging it and having nightmares for ages. and nows its out no problems.

• SarahA33 changed the title to Suggestions about Dentist...