Face Numbess/Tingling

mngirl

I have been getting a lot of numbness/tingling all over my face. It is not on one side, and has been getting worse lately. I had it late last summer (no one could tell me why it was happening), it started to go away...then the past month or so it has come back and I still do not know why it is happening. Is this a symptoms of POTS? Last night I woke up and could not feel my forehead and my nose AT ALL. I keep ask why it is happening, but no one knows why or what specifically is causing it.

It just really concerned me last night...not something I want to wake up not feeling again.

~Lisa

Hi,

I get a lot of tightness in my face and sometimes tingling on my nose, lips or a certain area. I can't say it is outright numb but it's weird and scary. I used to think it was from fibro but could never really say. Sometimes I feel a wave come over me, which I guess is adrenaline and I feel the funny feeling in my face.

I get tingling on my nose, chin, and lips. The docs think it is from the POTS because it got much worse during and after my two tilt table tests. Although, my lips will usually turn blue when it is like that. I hope yours goes away again or at least improves. Good luck if finding out if it is connected!

Guest tearose

I have had numbness and tingling on the left side of my face in the past. It got so bad that at one point the neurologist said it was "trigeminal neuralgia" . He wanted me to go on medicine if I didn't get relief. I managed to wait it out without the drugs. I have had a few more episodes but not as badly. More recently the neurologist thinks I have "trigeminal neuritis" (not as bad as the first)...anyway, what IS worth noting is that I am improved now. It did come and go for several weeks and definitely the seat belt restraint would inflame it. I also felt worse because I had been recovering from a virus so everything in my dysautonomic body was weaker.

I actually had forgot about these problems of mine until you posted!!!

Is that good or bad that I forgot? :lol: What I mean is, even though it was weird and annoying, it was another of those symptoms that when it resolved, I forgot about it! If you are suffering, I think they will prescribe something like neurontin for it.

Feel better soon! tearose

Hi lisa, I can relate. I have numbness on my left side of my face that goes from numbness to sharp stabbing pains. I'm not sure what to tell you on treating it other then a warming pad helps sometimes....Good luck

Rich

I too get this sometimes in varying severity and in various places. Sometimes I've been able to pinpoint it to migraine aura. (I'm one of the "backward" people that often gets very disabling migraine aura but many times I never get a headache).

I've been told, in my case, this numbness and tingling could be a direct effect from migraine (which often the trigeminal nerve is involved) or it could be the POTS/NCS because those affect the blood vessels in your head as well (the vaso-dialation).

Do you have pain or only the numbness and tingling? As Tearose mentioned the trigeminal neuralgia but my understanding of that is that there is usually severe pain with that. However, you trigeminal nerve could still be the root of the problem.

Hope you get some answers and feel better soon.

I get numbness and 'pins and needles' (tingling) in my head if I overdo things. Usually my hands and feet go numb first, then the head. Sometimes also weird sensations of the blood pulsing up through my neck and head. I guess it is to do with blood not getting to the extremities (is your head an extremity? :) ) properly. It is a pretty strange feeling.

Felicity.

• 9 months later...

My face goes numb (from the eyes down) every time I stand up or sometimes If I sit for very long... It is like it feels stiff or superficialy numb.

I cant get a doc to take it seriously... I get the 'look', I am really getting furstrated with it.

Sometimes my lips will tingle in a big way too, but I have to be pretty stormin for that.

I would love to know why my face goes numb when I stand up, darn near every time. Inderal is helping but if I push myself very much or overdo it....then I still suffer.

Hi,

I have numbness that starts in my hands and legs and then seems to spread to my arms and thighs....no clue what causes it though.

I am hypoxic, and I have been able to associate the facial tingling with low O2 levels. I also noticed that somtimes I get that when I get a pressure headache flare up. I think that it may be nerves as I have had really bad tingling in my right leg since Weds after I fainted onto a car in a funny way, possibly messing up my neck further.

I have had face numbness that started in my left side, and then moved to my right eyebrow. It felt very strange. I started taking a magnesium supplement, and the numbness and twitches seem a little better. I would agree that the worse my POTS, the worse my numbness is.

It is a very strange syndrome.

Rhonda

I mentioned that I was getting forehead numbness, a strange feeling a while back.

Presently when I stand up or sit up, I am experiencing this numbness, tight feeling throughout my forehead, nose, sides of my face, around my eyes and scalp. My scalp also feels dry and itchy. I can actually feel the tightening in areas as it is happening. Eating also makes it worse.

It seems to be getting worse for it doesn't go away while I'm upright. I've been spending alot of time lying down. When I do lye back down, I feel a pressure feeling throughout my face and scalp. My eyes also feel more wide open.

Traci