fainting after drinking or eating

gertie

I have vasovagal syncope & fainting is not new to me but the cause is different.    For several mornings I been  drinking prune juice or eating prunes as a natural laxative on empty stomach.   I've also had a  tsp of olive oil in applesauce to cause same reaction.    I've done this before & it never caused a problem that I was aware of.  Could these foods be causing blood to pool in my colon?   Have you ever had this happen?  Thanks.

There is a rare condition called swallow syncope that can occur. My understanding of that condition is that it happens immediately while you are swallowing, although not necessarily every time you swallow. 

Also, if there is any chance you have MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome ), if one of these foods is a trigger, that could cause syncope as fainting can be part of anaphylaxis. 

I would definitely consult your physician if this is a consistent and new pattern for you. 

I don't have any scientific proof - but for me high fiber foods are definitely a trigger for POTS.   Not to get too graphic - but sometimes when I eat lots of salads, it takes me several days to digest them and go to the bathroom.  In the meanwhile I get terrible symptoms (though I am not a fainter).  I'm sure it's because the blood is pooling in my digestive tract -- and I feel better once the digestion is completed.  I have had similar problems when I tried to eat chia seeds, which are also high in fiber.   You could talk to your dr, or maybe it would help to try stopping or cutting back on the prunes to see if it helps the fainting?

Eating or drinking large amounts definitely made my syncope worse secondary to blood pooling in my abdomen. Dont have this problem now because I use a j tube but have definitely experienced it in the past. 7 did find using abdominal compression helpful some of the time. 

Something else to consider is if the prune juice is pulling to much fluid into the intestines and causing a fluid or electrolyte imbalance. Also maybe the sudden change in blood sugar is causing an issue? 

Hope you find some relief soon passing out is no fun. ?  

• 1 month later...

Hi smiles. I just Googled swallow syncope and came up with quite a list of information and several case studies. You might pull up the case studies to view the bibliographic information to find doctors familiar with this. I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this. Take care. 

Most of the case studies I've read about involve being helped by a pacemaker.  I do not qualify for a pacemaker.  My heart doesn't skip a beat and I don't have a heart condition.  It is purely autonomic involving a hypersensitive vagus nerve.  I'm on one med for it that has helped for years.  Obviously it is not working as well now.  Years ago I contacted one of the doctors that did a case study in CA and he said he'd only seen one case and that was the one he wrote about.