Working: To Tell Or Not To Tell

Wufflebear

Hello all,

It has been a while since I last postd. I work from home now (last 6 years or so) and things generally are better. Idont faint as much for sure. I still have brain issues though. I got hru periods of just being so confused and dizzy. I got lost inthe store yesterday..

So for working, I make fore mistakes but I am not sure whether to come clean with them (worked with them for a few years) or not. Normally I make very few mistakes but right now (and periodically when it gets bad) i make more than I like.. I know, I am human and hate to be remidned of that, but right now is kind of yucky.

I have hd this since I was 3 and was not diagnosed till 34, so my tendancy is just to put up and shut up, but man.. I wish sometimes folks knew and could allow me some slack..

Thoughts?

I don't know your situation, so it's hard to give advice. I decided to disclose for my student teaching position that starts in January, because I need my cooperating teacher to work with me on things, and so I can have the flexibility to do what I need to do. I don't know yet if anything I'm doing is a good idea.... just trial and error here! Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Thank you. Yes it is tempting to tell becasue between the autonomic dysfunction and the visual vertigo, some days are not so much fun.. But I have lost jobs before for this thing.. I might have an in person talk with my immediate supervisor (and friend ) and see how that goes. I work from home, but I am supposed to go for a site visit this winter.. :)

Does your company have a policy which protects people with disabilities? Are there other people with disabilities that they accomodate? Usually this is required by law. Do you have close friends/people that you trust and who will look out for you?

There is always the chance that the info will be used against you. I have two different friends (at other companies) that got fired after reporting sexual harassment - both coincidentally got bad performance reviews and were then terminated. If you're fired after bad perforrmance reviews it is hard to prove discrimination. That makes me nervous about doing anything to stand out, especially where management generally doesn't seem trustworthy, sympathetic or kind to anyone. (You can tell I need a new job!)

On the other hand, when I got POTS I told my employer at the time and they were wonderful. I am hoping to wind up at another company like this soon! My POTS is mild. I would prefer to disclose at the next job, but only if I trust them.

Just thinking that instead of making it into a formal meeting you could also test them out - like say you're sorry you made xyz mistake you were feeling really suck on that day. See how they react and then mention the POTS if they seem receptive. If you tell them

provide very limited info. You don't have to tell them you've had it since you were 3, etc.