Ablation- I'm home

Hi all, I'm back home. Thanks for all the well wishes and good thoughts sent my way, it is appreciated.

The procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. When they wheeled me back to start prepping I was shocked to find that my doctor had been called away and her partner was going to be doing it. Before I would let them start anything, I demanded to speak with the doc who would be doing the procedure. I explained to him that I have "Severe pots" and that I was already uncomfortabe having ablation performed due to that fact. And that if he found any type of problem I did not want it ablated if there were any risk of it affecting POTS. He took the time to listen to my concerns, he also told me that he did not feel that this ablation would help with the POTS symptoms and that he would fully consider every move he made. With that I let them begin.

I was completely out for the first three hours. I woke up shortly into the third and was rather uncomfortable because they had mile heart going a million miles a minute. At that point it was fluctuating betwwen 200-300 bpm. So they gave me more meds. They did a great job keeping me comfortable. On a good note, the area they did ablate was on the right side so they didn't have to puncture the heart, which greatly lowered the risks. It took them quite awhile to recreate the abnormal rhythm and they just about gave up. As it turned out, I had three abnormal rhythms; atrial tachycardia, atrial flutter and the AV Node Reentry Tachycardia. They ablated the AVNRT.

At this point I haven't really noticed any changes but then again I haven't been up and moving. The one thing I did notice is that I am not having any palpitations, I had been having excessive palps for the past few days, so hopefully that is an improvement. I'll keep you posted as I start to move around more.

Lisa

Well it seems as if the stand in Doctor was right. This morning when I stand my heart rate is going through the roof once again. So it seems as if it didn't help at all. It's disappointing but I'm glad that so far I don't seem to be any worse.

Darn, darn, darn I so wanted to go kayaking again.

Lisa,

I'm glad everything went well with your procedure. I wish it would have relieved the POTS symptoms, too. But so far it sounds like they are just unaffected. That's at least better than them getting worse. Hang in there. You WILL kayak again!

Amy

Guest Mary from OH

Lisa-

Glad the ablation went well and that you are recovering. Where did you have your procedure performed? Too bad that it didn't "solve" more problems. I know what you mean about being thrown off having another dr do your procedures!! The same thing happened to me when I went in to do my TTT and E/P study. I went ballistic. I had never met this other person and there was NO way I was going to let them stick those things into my heart!! At that time, there was a chance they were going to put a permanent pacemaker into my heart! (some of the same reasons as you), but because of the findings of the test, they changed their mind. Long story short, they ended up finding my dr and being wrong and he did the procedures. They were lucky!!

Good luck healing and resting!!

You will get to kayak, maybe even this summer!!

Don't give up hope! It's all we have!

Hi Mary, the ablation was done here in Columbus at Riverside. I know I need to keep the faith but it's getting difficult. The doc has said I have exhausted the various medicines available. And now the ablation didn't work, doesn't seem like there are many more options left.....Just frustrated I guess

Hi Lisa,

Sorry i've not been able to follow the saga of what's been going on--what was it you had the ablation for?

One of my cardios has observed that I have a sinus node arrest with escape rhythms before returning to normal sinus rhythm. Is ablation done for this type o thing?

My cardio told me it would be useless to ablate cos my bp would crash and I would simply be left with profound hypotension.

What are YOUR thoughts, as someone who's just had ablation? I was so sad to read that your pulse is still way up even after the ablation- do you fell ANY different AT ALL? Do uyou feel there wsa any benefit to it?

Hi Lisa,

Sorry i've not been able to follow the saga of what's been going on--what was it you had the ablation for?

The ablation was supposed to correct an SVT, AVNRT. It seems that when standing my heartrate skyrockets and then the tachycardia terminates suddenly with an abnormal beat. So the ablation was suposed to fix that. No such luck. The only improvement thus far has been that I haven't been having the horrible palpitations that I normally have, but I'm not holding my breath that those wont recur.

I still can't stand for more than a minute or two, still cant walk up three steps without gasping for air, as if I had run a marathon. Still can't stay awake for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Hi Lisa - I'm glad that your prodedure went well, but sorry you are not seeing too much improvement yet.... I hope you do really soon ;)

Lisa, it is very common to have an exacerbation of problems right after the ablation for up to two weeks, as it irritates the heart to ablate it. They didn't tell me this. So just thought I'd let you know. Make sure you take a traquilizer before you get the bill. I'm sorry to say it didn't help me either. After a year or so my heart did slow down, but now it has a really hard time even going fast enough to compensate. Don't want to be an eeyore (sp) but they just weren't as open as I would have liked them to be and I went through a really rocky period when I realised it wasn't going to help. I am hoping you will have much better luck with yours. It isn't intended for and will not help pots, but I am hoping it will help with some of your rhythm problems.....morgan