What Do People Take To Help Them?!?!

dizzyallie

Hi guys,

I am at a loss. I don't know what exactly med wise should be benfitting me at this moment.

I take endep at a low dose, beta blocker, sandomigran, vitamin b, vitamin d and megafolinic acid.

I am thinking about trialling fludrocortisone again - although I think it made me worse last time?

I am at a loss. Period. I don't know what to take to help this sick body at all anymore?

I am seeing a rheumatoloogist next month to rule out lupus but meantime I find I am getting sicker and sicker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Allie.

I take atenolol. I take half of a 25 milligram pill with breakfast and the other half with supper. It has helped me some. It decreased my racing heart and I don't get as much palpitations and it helps my anxiety. Hope you find something that helps! Also Gatorade helps with the electrolytes and salt!

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/19324-the-complete-guide-to-pots-therapies/

Hi dizzyallie,

I included the link above as it is fairly comprehensive in the way of treatment options. You may be taken aback when you see the list as it is substantial. The hard part of treating autonomic dysfunction is that each person presents a bit differently and each person has their own underlying cause (and other substantial list). The underlying cause often is hard to determine but is the defining piece of information in figuring out which treatment will help. For example, the only thing that truly makes me feel better is prednisone...it even clears up my GI issues but we don't have a definitive reason why this helps me. We know I have allergy, mcas, and inflammatory issues but we can't put our finger on a clear diagnosis. Hopefully the list in the link will give you a jumping off point and some things to research.

Thankyou for your replies much appreciated. Is atenolol a beta blocker? Im not real with it today, head fuzzy and dizzy surprise surprise.

and thanks for the link Katybug will look over it when I can. Interesting about the prednisone, i think I took it yrs ago and felt it helped somewhat too. Might be in the pipeline. I get no definitive diagnosis either - bit like you, mcas too - just want someone to help treat it all. so frustrated.

Thought it was a beta blocker, ta. Never heard of alpha 1 ..... I get overwhelmed by all the things to watch for and unfortunately docs don't mention them either.

I recently broke out my old POTS medications because of a new flare. I had tried Midodrine in the past but it didn't work. I tried this time and it is really helping. I think my symptoms are from low bp....I get the dizzy out of it feeling with crazy vision. It seems to help and I can tell when it wears off in about 4 hours. Just a thought.

What is midodrine again? So overwhelmed by drug names lately. And what are nuun tabs? Never heard of em. I feel like I have to come up with all the info to present to docs, coz they dunno what to offer.

Nuun tablets are like airborne...you put them in water and they dissolve into a drink that has all the electrolyte and hydration benefits of gatorade but none of the sugar that might upset your stomach and rot your teeth. Places like Sam's, EMS and other sports stores carry it, some drugstores have it and you can get it here: http://shop.nuun.com/nuun-active-hydration.

Midodrine is supposed to help retain blood volume to boost BP.

something else i've found helps my energy is b12 shots. my integrative medicine doctor prescribes them. they are expensive and not covered by insurance, but i feel so much better when i take one.

hmmm midodrine, I will ask about that this wk. Nuun, I shall look into that too. Might be very similar to one powder I tried here in Australia. I gotta be careful as I have no large bowel is all. Thanks.

My doctor recently reviewed my medication regimen and said that the general classes of medications to deal with my POTS was:

Midodrine

Fludrocortisone

SSRIs (I've read SNRIs may be even better for certain types of POTS)

Beta Blockers

I stick with midodrine because it works for my primary problem right now - hypotension. I think gjensen had a good point about focusing on your main concern and starting with that. I hope you find relief soon.

Thanks sideofsalt - great name btw. My main problem is dizziness but don't have norm dizziness also a vestibular vertigo component. Hmmm so hard.

There can be physical therapy to retrain your body if you have vestibular vertigo. (Been to the PT for that myself.) It is a slow process but they can teach you e,ercises to do at home as well. It helps retrain your vestibular system/brain to reorient itself in relation to its surroundings and movement.

Ta Katy, yeah I tried that, been ongoing 4 yrs now, really getting me down. Exercises didn't help me.

Think I ll give those stockings a try in winter. Found I was worse on florinef too.

I would try either an Antifungal, like Diflucan or Prednisone for a week or two to see if either of these help. Antifungal to address the very undiagnosed fungal infection that can trigger all sorts of unpleasant vestibular symptoms. Prednisone for the possibility of it being relate to a post infectious (post viral) syndrome that triggered an autoimmune, like a Meiners. All the other treatments are just symptom management and they won't help address the underlying cause of your problem, just mask it or make it worse. Go straight for the cause (infections, autoimmune), the other stuff is all qwackery if you ask me and leads to more problems, more side effects, more damage.

Thanks jon

Yeah couple yrs back I tried prednisone for dizziness, helped a lil. Seeing rheum at end of month so I ll re address it.

I didn't know anti fungal could bring up vestib issues interesting.