A Happy Update :)

hholmes13

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been very active on here for awhile as I have been doing quite well the last year or so. Life has just been quite busy since I was back to working full time and my daughter is in school. I have been logging on and reading on here, just not posting. I saw someone mention they wanted to hear from people who have improved, so I thought I would share what I have been doing.

When POTS hit me in April of 2011, I was training for a half marathon. The 2 years it took to get my symptoms controlled obviously put that to a screaming halt. At one point, I was out of work for almost 4 months. I had multiple docs tell me because of EDS/POTS, it would be unlikely that ever doing something like a half marathon would be possible for me even though my symptoms were finally getting controlled. Well, that was enough to make me want to prove them wrong. (Spite is a powerful motivator!) I first did a round of P90X this spring to get my muscles ready and then started running in June. My training had its ups and downs, but I am so proud to report that in September I completed a 10 mile road race and that yesterday, I ran my first half marathon! It was a pretty tough terrain to run on, so my time wasn't quite as fast as I had planned, but I ran the entire 13.1 miles without walking once! This was a very personal goal for me because at my worst point, we weren't sure if I would be able to work again. We were looking into long term disability/SSI. I got so overwhelmed at the finish line yesterday. My mom was waiting for me there, and as soon as I crossed and got my finisher medal, we just sat there and hugged and cried. That is a moment I am going to carry with me for the rest of my life. I don't know how long this good spell I have had the past year or so will last. I hope it will be long-term, but either way I am so thankful for what I have been able to accomplish. I wanted to let those of you struggling know that things can get better.

I hope everyone here is well and is hanging in there. I check on you all here often and am always sending positive vibes your way when I see your struggles even if I don't get a chance to post a reply. This site is such a wealth of information and support. You guys were a huge help when I was at my worst, and I will always be grateful for that. Sorry this got a little long, I really wanted a chance to share a happy story. :)

Best wishes to you all,

Heather

That is SO awesome. I am getting ready to start the 21 day challenge and this totally motivates me. I want to get back into shape even when I don't feel good I feel better when I know I am in good condition. What meds are you taking how are you controlling this? I am just curious. I go back to my Dr. on the 23rd I want to start training. Not sure about you but I feel pretty good running but its when I stop I feel the worst.

Again Congrats and thanks so much for sharing it made my night!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone! :)

findinghope I am taking Mestinon and Midodrine to keep things controlled. I also drink lots of water every day. Now that the weather is cooler, I don't have to be quite as careful as I did this summer. A few times this summer with the heat/humidity, I had to slow things down because I could feel my POTS starting to flare. It didn't take much to make me dizzy if I got overheated. I tried to counter this by being well hydrated and exercising early in the morning or later in the evening.

Even though I have been doing well, my heat intolerance has never gone away unfortunately. Luckily for me, I don't feel bad after I stop. I have been feeling pretty close to normal. I can tell if I have overdone things, and then I know to pull back. Make sure to listen to your body. That is the most important thing.

I am also doing karate classes two nights a week. This has been really fun exercise for me. I will hopefully be testing for my blue belt in the next few months. I am hoping to have my black belt sometime in the next 2 years.

Oh and one other positive that came from all this exercise...I can take a shower without laying down afterward! Even when I felt good, hot showers and washing my hair were miserable. I would still end up laying on my bed for a good 15 minutes afterward because I would be so nauseated and dizzy. That doesn't happen at all anymore. I was so excited when I realized that a few months ago because that was one of the remaining issues I couldn't seem to shake.

Thanks again! I will definitely keep you all posted on how things are going.