Treatment For Autonomic Neuropathy

looneymom

Thought this article might be of interest to someone. I plan on asking Tyler's doctor about some of the supplements that are recommended. Tyler is already taking several of them but not at a high dosage. Does anyone take Alpha-Lipoic Acid and how does it affect your blood pressure?

http://www.newyorkbuyersclub.org/resources/recommended-reading-files/24-NEUROPATHY.pdf

My dad (neurologist) just told me to take ALA. I took the first dose this morning. It will probably take awhile to see the effects. If I remember I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. Otherwise remind me. :) I am not yet diagnosed with dysautonomia but have a probable trigeminal neuropathy of the mouth and tongue. That should be the easiest way to see an effect.

I have found another article that may be of some help. I am hoping that my son is going to get some relief from his scalp allodynia with his current treatment. But as I am reading, neuropathic pain is harder to treat the longer it goes on. This article goes into more detail about about the brain receptors and other medications that can be used.

BTW Has anyone tried Ketamine cream or through an IV?

http://www.helpforpain.com/articles/understand-neuropathic-pain/understanding.htm

I plan on asking the doctor about it. I have actually found studies that in very low dosages it helps with allodynia. However, I have also found research studies that high Cam Kinese II levels cause allodynia. I can't wait to get this stuff out of Tyler's body.

Hi Rachel,

Thank you so much for sharing the interesting articles. I have been taking ALA 600mg daily for quite some time now and have found I do get some pain relief from it. A few times I have forgotten to take it and noticed my pain level was higher. Since starting on a mast cell cocktail a few months back I have realized an enormous reduction in neuropathic pain however for the pain I am left with I feel the ALA helps. I have not noticed that ALA has any effect on my b/p. I hope you find something that will help with Tylers pain. My heart and prayers go out to him.

Janet

I take ALA for small fiber sensory neuropathy not for autonomic neuropathy.

Try again. I was able to get to both articles just now.

Hi Nymph

Sorry the ALA did not help. Does anyone know what is causing the burning tongue? Could you have developed food allergy or an allergy to a medication?

No, at first I thought it was oral allergy syndrome, which can have a similar effect, however that disappears once you stop eating the food. Mine did not. And as it comes and goes and varies in severity, I do not think that its a medication as my medications are consistent. There is some research indicating thay the syndrome might be caused by trigeminal neuropathy. As that's the most common form of neuropathy in Sjogren's, I think that's probably it. However, I am waiting to see a neuro until I am tested for POTS by a cardiologist. Once I have some evidence in hand, as it were, I will look into possible neuropathy as a cause for both syndromes.