I know this sounds crazy, but...

:) I feel silly asking this, because I've never seen anything close to this posted. But sometimes I get this really strong odor of something, that can be quite overpowering. The weird thing is, it can be anything. Like onions, or soap, or bacon, or oranges. And there's nothing like that around. No one else can smell these things.

It makes me think of people who have aura's before a migraine or seizure, except I don't have either of those conditions. It is so odd and embarrassing. I will look everywhere, thinking the animals got into something, but they haven't and my husband and son they have no idea what I'm talking about. It kind of weirds me out. anyone else? anyone...... :) morgan

Guest tearose

Oh thank you a million times morgan! Yes! I do get smells out of nowhere and I keep forgetting to ask cause I don't always get them!

My two recurring smells are "beer" or "flowers". I can be driving in my car, or sitting in a chair and all of a sudden I am filled and surrounded by an overpowering smell! I never even drink beer! I even have a diminished sense of smell. But when I get this sensation it is incredible!

I'm just glad it isn't anything I don't like to smell!

tearose

Hi,

I senses things from far away. Let's say somene is eating a chocolate bar and I come in the room. I will smell it even 20 feet away without even seeing it.

I feel all my senses are more acute than the normal person.

Ernie

Up until a year ago I had pretty much lost my sense of smell. There are certain odors that are quite evident like smoke, I thought it was just me because I was in a house fire when I was a teenager.

My daughter is a little different, certain odors come across strong too her and cause her extreme nausea, stomach cramping and vomiting.

I agree with morgan617, it much be a potsy thing! I get a really strong odor of oranges, incredibly strange, but I will put nothing past pots!!

hey morgan!

yes, i get this too...but what drives me bonkers is that i have NO idea what smell it resembles. it comes out of the blue and makes me feel kind of queasy. i've even said 'what smells' and no one knows what i am talking about either!

the closes thing it smells like to me is like the oxygen they give you in the ambulance! really nice. that in itself can make me nauseas just thinking about it!

so, nope, you're not crazy...:) sorry i've missed responding to so many of your posts lately...i always keep you and jake in my thoughts even when i'm not typing!

emily

Hi

These are called olfactory hallucinations. The aura of a seizure can manifest as an olfactory aura but it is an UNpleasant smell. Patients can have these auras without the "full blown" seizure. If you have UNpleasant smell hallucinations, I would recommend mentioning it to your doctor. I think most neurologists would check a scan of the brain and an EEG. I don't want to scare anyone, but perhaps the bad smelling hallucinations should be checked out.

I cannot explain the good smelling or neutral smelling olfactory auras. I know migraines can be associated with POTS, and that migraine patients are much more sensitive to the environment. For example, I have smelled gas leaks at least two times when no-one else did. My family now pays attention to me instead of laughing at me now!

Karyn